Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

surface engagement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> surface engagement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
surface engagement - 9/21/2003 2:29:29 PM   
akulas

so why does/did my allied surface tf(s) not engage...sat in the same hex with the enemy (retire/no retire, react/no react)...the only way i got them to even get a shot off was to bombard! did it several turns...day and night...in the open, non-shallow ocean...ijn tf spotted...all that jazz. (why, one wonders did the ai continue to stay in the same hex even?) not that it matters, but if i don't see that this was my error, then i'll be dumping this game pronto. i regret even spending time on it, just hoping that it would get better with the patches...not buying another either. patch 2.3, btw. found a few very odd things, read BUGS, regarding i would suppose array programming goofs...can live with those, but this was just plain way to silly for me to stomach. [hey i thought that it was like the old "war in the pacific" board game...i mean, hexes and all...very, very disappointed overall after playing for about a week.] not a rant, just hoping that it was my fault before this game gets recycled.
Post #: 1
- 9/21/2003 4:04:16 PM   
Bodhi

If it is found to be you, do you get thrown in the recycle bin? :D

Bodhi

(in reply to akulas)
Post #: 2
thanks to most of you. - 9/22/2003 3:54:52 AM   
akulas

guys...well, it seems that this may be "just the way it is" as far as this game goes...thanks especially for the offer to analyze data. (didn't save any files, i just quit while giving a middle-finger salute.) guess i'll try "one more time" to see if this (mostly) enjoyable game balances out as still worthwhile. hope that it continues to hold good value for others as it evidently does for those who responded. must add, however, that it is openly hard to accept the things weird with this game (such as allied air transport moving japanese units) as being some kind of reality-flavoured FUBAR. thanks again.

(in reply to akulas)
Post #: 3
- 9/22/2003 1:53:13 PM   
akulas

well some other things have been so crazy as to almost be entertaining...my "last try" game (in progress) had a zero/nill/null air unit loaded on the lex...pictured as a bomber and described as a fighter...it got mutated from a torpedo unit i was tranferring...sheesh. it would seem...and i'm only guessing...that this happens when a unit fails transit for some reason, the program logic (read BUG) uses the lowest or "cell zero" value in an array or data table. in "real life" i used to see lots of those type problems in junior/unseasoned programmers. not a slam, just an observation.

(in reply to akulas)
Post #: 4
- 9/22/2003 9:01:38 PM   
ctid98

Another more obvious reason your surface TF didn't want to engage would be because of the commander you had leading it. An aggressive and competent commander will gladly take on a superior force where as if you have a very careful officer that doesn't want to risk his ships he won't be so willing to engage. Imagine you have both commanders, yours and the enemies who are both on the shy side and you suddenly find yourselves dancing around the hex.

Put someone there with some balls and you'll soon find yourself heading after the enemy. Hope this helps.

---------------------
Tora! Tora! Tora!

(in reply to akulas)
Post #: 5
thanks for the comments/ideas/suggestions...some clarif... - 9/25/2003 12:06:15 PM   
akulas

just to clarify...(1) the task force commanders [more that one in the same hex mutltiple times] had great big balls, (2) the ijn was composed of lots of surface ships including carriers, (3) odd that the "bombard" [why open water?] worked, (4) if the hexes are some 30-odd whatever miles then the ships in total involved were at least one-per-square-whatever, (5) if the rules are accurate...daylight surface engagements are possible. as for other theories on why the surface engagements didn't happen (including the computer???)...i'm trying to hold back on just how silly that whole thing was. say...on these bogus air units...anybody try to disband one? (be ready to have the game crash hard...XP and 98SE.)

(in reply to akulas)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> surface engagement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI