Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 9/23/2003 2:35:08 AM   
Capitaine

IMO, having absolute FOW would require a game system designed with that intent in mind at the inception. It's not amenable here to an ad hoc addition/option in a game like EiA. Were a new strategic game being designed, it would be cool to have reconaissance, "intelligence apparatus", and built-in means to foster a realistic Napoleonic FOW situation on the strategic level. Doing it by hiding units on the map is just wrong for EiA w/o innumerable extra rules and provisos needed to implement the concept. Given the tension in the EiA rules as they stand, this would seem to be an impossible task w/o screwing up the game completely.

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 1
- 9/23/2003 5:15:04 AM   
YohanTM2

[QUOTE=Le Tondu]Me thinks you over-rate the spys of the day.

Ships are something MUCH smaller than an Army Corps. Spys can't help there. Where they're patrolling is anybody's guess except when you play the boardgame. The boardgame's method of handling this is absolutely unrealistic for ships. Satellites didn't exist back then AND [U] intelligence from spys was not correct all of the time like the boardgame portrays.[/U] Intelligence travelled so slow that by the time the news got to its destination the ships could have moved. Fog of War is a must.[/QUOTE]

Actually most fleets were very easy to find in those days except for perhaps those heading for the West Indies or India. As one example, French fisherman sold their catch to British blockading fleets and neutral ships were often known to sell fleet sighting information.

(in reply to Le Tondu)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI