Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Applause/Editor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Applause/Editor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Applause/Editor - 9/24/2003 1:08:13 PM   
secret

Got to hand it to you guys, I bought TAO when it first came out what 6 years ago? and boy did it suck. I was a little apprehensive about buying KP and checked the forums till my fingers were sore to make sure I wasn't buying a lemon. Finally I said what the heck and bought it 3 days ago. What a wonderful job you did! No hesitation next game you produce with this format, I'm sold!! GREAT JOB!!!

Now just one question: If I make a completly different scenario by changing the map terrain and units positioning only, will the AI work like in the original? ie: is there any scripting to do? I know I'm a bit lazy, just don't want to waste my time making it if the AI won't react effectively.
Post #: 1
- 9/24/2003 2:01:29 PM   
Rob Gjessing

You really would need to redo the AI as far as I know. The fact that you are suggesting that you are changing the unit positioning suggests that it would be wise to re do it.

When you create a new scenario it starts out with no AI, but you [B]can [/B] copy the AI files over from another scenario, I have done this for scenarios based upon TAO3 when I have made minor changes to the scenario, and the AI effectively still works fine, but it may not always give you the results you are looking for.

For example just changing a forts defensive value may not mean that the AI will now attack it. There may be something else in the AI that tells it not to attack forts regardless of their values.

Also remember, that the first few turns are scripted AI, and that wont change regardless of any changes you make to the scenario.

Like I said, its possible, but the proper and best way would be to reprogram the AI. It looks daunting, but its not that hard. Its difficult to make it rock solid AI, but to get into it and do it isnt that difficult.

I have been intending to do an editor tutorial on the AI for the last few weeks, but Real Life (TM) has got the better of me and I just havent had time.. but I will get around to it soon.. as usual, it will be located along with the other editor tutorials over at [url]www.wargamer.com/wachtamrhein[/url]

(in reply to secret)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Applause/Editor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI