Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 8/3/2001 7:51:00 PM   
alassi

I will need a damn good excuse for my wife to get to US :)!! But it sure would be nice!

Sgt.A.Lassi FwdObserver 2nd Arctic Mortar Platoon I19/P5--Hell is not hot,its cold.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 31
- 8/4/2001 3:35:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Ok, I sent an RFP to Embassy Suites, with rooms for 50-75 people for two days and a conference room for Saturday May 11, 2002. This is just an experiment, because we need to know how expensive this may be. I'm just winging this, guys, so bear with me. Dave Heath has said nothing, so at this point it seems that the attendants will be laying out all the expenses. What's it gonna cost? This is the thing that will make or break this meeting proposal. I'll be in the "Convention" chat room tonight at 8:00 EST, so please drop in and give me some input. I want to do this, but I can't pay for it all. If you guys are as serious as I am about making this event a reality, then it's gotta be a group effort, and I'm just the man doing the legwork onsite.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 32
- 8/4/2001 6:50:00 AM   
KG Erwin

OK, I'm opening the "Convention" chat room now. Password is "all". Everyone welcome.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 33
- 8/4/2001 7:49:00 AM   
KG Erwin

The Convention chat room now has occupants. Please feel free to join us--now!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 34
- 8/4/2001 8:17:00 PM   
Mike Oshiki

Sorry I couldn't drop by the chat room last night. Anybody care to offer a synopsis? Thanks. Mike

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 35
- 8/5/2001 4:28:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Well, Mike, you didn't miss much. Only a couple of other people participated. I'm waiting for a price quote from Embassy Suites. Dave Heath e-mailed me and I'm gonna give him a call--I'm have more info later.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 36
- 8/5/2001 6:21:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by KG Erwin: If I can get the go-ahead from David Heath, and we can get a Matrix fan gathering together in Charleston, West Virginia, say in spring 2002, how many of you guys can come? Wild Bill said earlier that he would definitely appear, so how about it?
Any major airlines fly into that airport? If American does, I at least could get there since my sister and her husband work for AA and I could get a reduced fare ticket. Thanks, John.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 37
- 8/5/2001 6:45:00 PM   
Mike Oshiki

Thanks, KG. Sorry that you didn't get more of a turnout for the chat. Thanks for all of your work on this. Mike

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 38
- 8/5/2001 11:22:00 PM   
KG Erwin

Psted by johng:"Any major airlines fly into that airport? If American does, I at least could get there since my sister and her husband work for AA and I could get a reduced fare ticket. Thanks, John." Thanks for your interest, John. American, Delta, Northwest, United Express and US Air all have connections to Yeager Airport in Charleston. There's a stopover in either Pittsburgh, Charlotte or Atlanta, depending on which company you use. Hope this helps.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 39
- 8/5/2001 11:28:00 PM   
KG Erwin

I'm gonna call David Heath Monday, from my office. I didn't want to bother him over the weekend. My supervisor is out of town for the week, so I'll be the unit manager for a few days. We'll see what happens.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 40
- 8/5/2001 11:41:00 PM   
Lynx

SOUNDS GREAT You can count me in Lynx

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 41
- 8/6/2001 9:07:00 PM   
TheZel66

sorry KG for missing the chat. was really looking forward to it. How about scheduling a standard time, day each week. Luckily I can drive to WV (been to charleston, nice place to have a convention!!!) I'm 95% sure I can make it..

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 42
- 8/7/2001 12:03:00 AM   
KG Erwin

I left a message with Dave Heath this morning. Now, I'm just waiting for him to return my call. I did get a price from Summit Conference Center. We can get a room to accommodate 50-75 people for $250/day. This includes lunch and/or continental breakfast. Embassy Suites wants to give me a price including rooms for everyone. I'm sure that's gonna be outrageous. Anyway, it looks like a meeting/convention can be done within a reasonable budget. I'm just giving you guys info as I receive it. [ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: KG Erwin ]

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 43
- 8/8/2001 1:23:00 AM   
Larry Holt

We could all be dead by the time this is supposed to happen, and with the amount of late nights that I play SPWaW either my wife might kill me or I might fall asleep at the wheel driving to work some morning, :) None-the-less Charleston is only 500 milles, 8 hours driving from Atlanta where I live. If I'm alive then I hope to go and perhaps if someone flys into ATL, we can car pool the rest of the way. We shall see when we get closer.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 44
- 8/8/2001 1:28:00 AM   
Larry Holt

Oh an another idea. I could haul up some computers and switches and cables in my station wagon and set up a LAN for demmo/playing. I've got 4 at home and perhaps I could borrow some more. Others could bring their laptops and hook into it. I don't know how much playing we could do given the time that a game takes but its an option.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 45
- 8/8/2001 2:36:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Some more excellent ideas, Larry. I'm opening another chat Friday 8/10 at 8 pm EST. Hope to see some of you there--I heard we may have a special guest dropping in.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 46
- 8/8/2001 8:04:00 PM   
KG Erwin

I did get to talk to David last night, and he will give his support to this meeting. Now, the thing is, I want to make sure the trip down is worth the effort. He was thinking more on the lines of contacting one of the big gaming conventions, and perhaps suggesting Charleston as a location for a future event. That would be great, but IMO is a long shot. The idea, as I see it, is more related to a weekend casual gathering, sort of a business retreat (or a two day party). Well, it's at least six months away, so there's plenty of time to work out an agenda.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 47
- 8/11/2001 4:10:00 AM   
Grenadier

I would love to meet all of you in person, including the Kunel. If I get enough frequent flyer miles in the meantime, and David doen't have me up against another deadline, count me in :D

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 48
- 8/11/2001 7:36:00 AM   
KG Erwin

I hope to open another "convention" chat tonight, but right now my 4 yr old is outside, so after I get her inside and settled down, I'll try to be there.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 49
- 8/11/2001 8:32:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Ok, the "convention" chat room is open. Password "all". Come on in, and join the party.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 50
- 8/11/2001 8:12:00 PM   
Michael Peck

Has anyone considered contacting a university computer department? You don't really need a meeting hall - you just need a room filled with computers. I wonder if some community college might be willing to let us use their computer lab during, say, Christmas break. Mike

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 51
- 8/12/2001 12:15:00 AM   
KG Erwin

That's also an interesting idea, Mike, but WVU or Marshall may not be too keen on having a wargaming frat party in their computer lab. Just replace "Toga! Toga! Toga!" with "Tora! Tora! Tora!" :D BTW,I only had one guest in my chat room last night, so I guess the next planning chat will have to be announced well in advance. To Rusco:thanks for showing up, sorry I got disconnected. Hopefully, we'll have better participation next time.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 52
- 8/12/2001 1:46:00 AM   
Bing

quote:

Originally posted by KG Erwin: That's also an interesting idea, Mike, but WVU or Marshall may not be too keen on having a wargaming frat party in their computer lab. Just replace "Toga! Toga! Toga!" with "Tora! Tora! Tora!" :D BTW,I only had one guest in my chat room last night, so I guess the next planning chat will have to be announced well in advance. To Rusco:thanks for showing up, sorry I got disconnected. Hopefully, we'll have better participation next time.
If a message with the word "Chat ..." had been posted I would have seen it. Sorry to have missed the chat, but without a direct jog to the memory man;y of us are subject to a similar memory loss. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 53
- 8/12/2001 8:56:00 PM   
TheZel66

When this thing gets finalized, you might want to contact PC Gamer to have someone there and do a piece on it. I think its an interesting story if it comes to fruition. And great pubs for Matrix

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 54
- 8/12/2001 9:50:00 PM   
moore4807

KG, Matrix convention is a great idea, can you get everything set up in 6-7 months? I have past experience and just getting the rooms set for Atlantic City was a nightmare in itself... Perhaps your correct about your town being smaller = less hassles, but it was way over my head the first time I did it... And I only had to do the rooms for about 350 people (ended up in 5 different hotels because of other "attractions" there that weekend. Not Pretty) :eek: Best of luck and count me in Jim

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 55
- 8/13/2001 1:42:00 AM   
Figmo

Count me in too!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 56
- 8/13/2001 5:59:00 AM   
KG Erwin

I'm happy that this idea has taken on a life of its own. I'll host another chat next week, and we can start on an agenda. To moore4807, at this point I'm projecting no more than 75 people actually being able to attend, but as time goes on, who knows? I hope to visit the facility I had in mind early next week, so I can give you guys more details. $500 for a meeting room for two days sounds good to me, though. At this point, I'm not so sure about arranging lodging for everyone, but there are a number of motels/hotels in the downtown area, most of which have their own web sites. It basically depends on how much you guys want to spend. I will say this, though:if anyone wants to volunteer driving down for a couple of days, I can put you up at my home, and show you around town. A second opinion on my proposed meeting site would be very helpful.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 57
- 8/13/2001 10:59:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I'm definitely excited about it and will be there, rain or shine! It's really taking shape, Glenn. Good job!...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 58
- 8/13/2001 3:16:00 PM   
Igor

Sounds like a lot of fun might well be had by all. Count me in, god willing and the creek don't rise. One question, though; is Charleston anywhere near a railroad (Amtrak or such like)?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 59
- 8/13/2001 7:41:00 PM   
TheZel66

Igor - Charleston does have an Amtrak stop.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI