Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problems with rockets and bombs! @Paul Vebber and anybody who cares

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Problems with rockets and bombs! @Paul Vebber and anybody who cares Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems with rockets and bombs! @Paul Vebber and anybo... - 7/30/2001 1:48:00 AM   
Jaques Rico

Some days ago I postet a list of data to russian/german rocket types. Now I tried to calculate how the real HE-Penetration and HE-Kill values for that rockets should be. The easiest thing to compare would be normal explosive bombs (not fragmentation bombs (with the exception of the 210mm Wurfgranate 43). Of course its easy to get all the data about the bomb types but how to calculate the HE-Penetration and HE-Kill ratio? So I looked then in the SPWAW-OOB-files for the germans: 50kg bomb/ 25kg explosive/ warheads 15/ HE-PEN 40/ HE-Kill 33 250kg bomb/ 135kg explosive/ warheads 30/ HE-PEN 100/ HE-Kill 88 500kg bomb/ 270kg explosive/ warheads 40/ HE-PEN 150/ HE-Kill 125 In the OOB is also a 125kg bomb, but the germans never had such a weapon and a 1400kg bomb, which wasnt a normal explosive bomb, but either a fragmentation bomb or a tank blow-up bomb. If it is a fragmentation grenade, it should have a bigger effect against infantry than the normal explosive bombs. But back to my question. How were the HE-PEN and HE-Kill ratios of the bombs calculated? If I would know that I could calculate the values for the rocket systems in the same way with the exception of the 210mm Wurfgranate. Or were the values for the bombs guessed too? I hope not. Well, some answers would be nice. Greetings JR PS.: I will post the same topic in the OOB-Board, but since many OOB-related question were posted here too, I thought it couldnt hurt to do the same.

Post #: 1
- 7/30/2001 6:34:00 AM   
Tombstone

I dont want to go so far as say you're tiresome JR, but I think a lot of what you think are serious problems with the data are in many cases totally unrelated to the hard data of bomb weights, and physical sizes. This is a game, and those values are, more likely than not, tweaked to create a desired effect within the system of the game. Wether in-game variables correlate to real numbers is very close to irrelevant, as long as the behavior is close to the mark. Tomo

(in reply to Jaques Rico)
Post #: 2
- 7/30/2001 6:46:00 AM   
El Vito

a perfect example why wargaming and crystal meth don't go together. Muhahahaha

Post #: 3
- 7/30/2001 7:03:00 AM   
Possum

Hello Jaques Rico. Please remember, that the effects of explosives is a geometric progression. NOT a liniar progression. i.e. if you double the ammount of explosives in a bomb, then you are only increasing the effectiveness/power of that bomb by 1.44 (SQRT 2) for example the 250 Kg bomb has 5.4 times more explosives in it than the 50 Kg bomb. So you would therefor expect that this bomb would be (SQRT 5.4 =) 2.32 times more powerfull/effective. Now look at the difference in the game statistice for the 50 Kg and 250 Kg bomb. Vola... they differ by a factor of 2.32! (Actually penetration differs by a factor of 2.5; but as the actuall mass of the bomb is important too, in determening penetration values; That will account for the more effective penteration ability of the larger bomb(s).)

"We're having a war, and we want you to come!"
So the pig began to whistle and to pound on a drum.
"We'll give you a gun, and we'll give you a hat!"
And the pig began to whistle when they told the piggies that.

Post #: 4
- 7/30/2001 6:23:00 PM   
Jaques Rico

Hello Possum, thank you very much. Because of your and Paul Vebbers help, the formula is now much clearer for me. I can now calculate more realistic values for the explosion rocket types. After I have done that I will look into the accuracy settings. I have some data about the target deviation of most of the rockets. In the game it seem that the russian rockets accuracy is a bit to bad and the german accuracy a bit to good, given the numbers I have. Do you perhaps know how the accuracy is calculated to model a more correct dispersion? @Tombstone I never said that there is something wrong with the way the effect of bombs is calculated. I just wanted to use them, because their effect is easy to compare to the effect of the rockets. So if you cant be helpful, please mind your own buiseness. Greetings JR

Post #: 5
- 7/30/2001 11:32:00 PM   
Tombstone

Lol, JR. I will... Tomo

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Problems with rockets and bombs! @Paul Vebber and anybody who cares Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI