Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Avalon Hills Squad Leader

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Avalon Hills Squad Leader Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Avalon Hills Squad Leader - 10/16/2003 9:24:07 AM   
Klinkenhoffen

Hello,

just curious if there is anyone out there who still plays the original Squad Leader, not just Advanced Squad Leader.

I bought the entire series in the late '80's, played them, put them away and recently rediscovered them. At the time I couldn't afford the expence of ASL even though it is a superior game. I don't play enough to justify buying ASL today.

Please no responces from the philistines of "whats a board game?". :p

Les the Sarge is a true believer. He will understand.

Klinkenhoffen

It's all gone horribly wrong !
Post #: 1
- 10/16/2003 11:34:01 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I saw a mint copy of SL a while ago unopened and everything for 9 bucks along with a mint unopened Panzerblitz same price.

Still not willing to forgive myself for that moment of discipline for not spending my then limited cash on them :)

SL has many features that still make it a good game. If I was to play SL though, odds are I would require it be just that SL not CoI or CoD or GI AoV.

ASL is a great game only because it was built from the start to be the same way at the end. Whereas SL was fine, then they started adding things to it. By the time you had GI it was no longer properly balanced.

If they had never gone beyond SL odds are I would still be playing it and calling it one of the best games ever made as well.

You might like knowing Klink, that you can play SL via VASL as well eh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Klinkenhoffen)
Post #: 2
- 10/20/2003 10:53:37 AM   
Klinkenhoffen

It is good to see that there are still player of SL/ASL out there.

I first started playing Steel Panthers when it became difficult finding opponents for Squad Leader. The time factor and negotiating a location to play all become harder when full time work/ families/ studies were factored in.

Steel Panthers allowed me to continue to play a SL type game but with the convienance of the electronic world but, and I think it was Les the Sarge who said it, it lacks the face to face contact, eg when you it all goes wrong for your opponent(or you) and you can see the expression on their face.

Having just rediscovered Squad Leader, I think that there is a place now for both with me.

klink

Post #: 3
- 10/27/2003 9:15:56 AM   
Klinkenhoffen

Les the Sarge,

you said earlier that Squad Leader can be played via VASL as well as Advanced Squad Leader.

I have not yet down loaded to have a look at VASL but could you tell me if there is much of a following for Squad Leader.

Klink

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Avalon Hills Squad Leader Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI