Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Westfalen - a turn-based multiplayer strategy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Westfalen - a turn-based multiplayer strategy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Westfalen - a turn-based multiplayer strategy - 10/22/2003 2:31:31 AM   
Kharan

Westfalen is a somewhat EU-inspired turn-based strategy game in which 19 European nations battle for power. Each turn is downloaded from the server. Usually the speed is about 3 turns per week. The game is simple and easy to learn, with only three troop types (infantry, cavalry and cannon) and no building or trade. However, I've found it very addictive despite, or maybe because of that.

[IMG]http://www.westfalengame.com/fpsmall.jpg[/IMG]

A turn takes about 5-15 minutes to complete (of course depends on how much time you spend on diplomacy :)), and you can give the orders whenever you wish, just as long as you upload them to the server before the next round. There is an ingame messaging system, and an irc channel #westfalen on ircnet.

There are 65 registered players and 3 ongoing games right now. A new game starts as soon as all the nations have players. If a player drops out of the game, AI takes his place. The game is freeware, and can be downloaded from [url]www.westfalengame.com[/url] .

Post #: 1
- 10/22/2003 3:47:19 PM   
Marc von Martial

Ha, I´m a Westfale by birth. Gotta check it out ;)

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 2
- 10/24/2003 3:07:45 AM   
Kharan

Game 8 starts as soon as 3 more players join it. By the way, to start playing, you need to join to a game after registering. Join to a new game from the "server"-menu and select your preferred nations. The server will send out emails when the game is beginning. It's possible to join and play in more than one game simultaneously.

Personally I'm playing Spain in WF5, the first "real" game after beta testing was completed. It's been 5 months after England landed in Normandy and my armies crossed the Pyrenees. I landed some 15 000 at La Rochelle and succesfully combined the bridgeheads. England and I are about to take Paris, our combined troops numbering about 70 000 men against a pitiful 30 000.

There are some French armies returning from the Netherlands, but they shouldn't pose much of a problem. Saxony, France's ally, hasn't interfered yet. England already declared war on Saxony, but I'll have to consider the options after France is conquered. I'll probably build another fleet in the Mediterranean (Spain has cheaper ships than other nations). My incomes are already greater than any other nation's (thanks to my recently acquired provinces in Portugal), but in strategic sense it wouldn't be sensible to cross too far into Central Europe yet. Too many potential enemies, erm, neighbours :).

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 3
An Idea - 10/24/2003 10:53:15 AM   
siRkid

I would like to see something like this done for WitP. Instead of contires you would sign up for a HQ. Just a passing thought. :)

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 4
- 11/4/2003 12:51:32 AM   
Kharan

The costs are mostly balanced in themselves, with a little historical tendencies taken into account. Btw, there was a problem with the server, and all clients need to be updated to 1.15+ so that they have the correct ip address.

Wf9 just started, and there's 15 available nations in wf10.

(in reply to Kharan)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Westfalen - a turn-based multiplayer strategy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI