Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario editing help needed - artillery setup

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scenario editing help needed - artillery setup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario editing help needed - artillery setup - 8/17/2001 2:16:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

I am testing the third scenario in my campaign, and I have a problem to get the computer side to fire its mortars. They are 2 SP german 8cm mortar halftracks. At first, I thought it was because they were assigned as reinforcements. Now, they are already on the field when the scenario begins, in defense mode, with the A0 right next to them, also in defence mode. I have put their activation turn to turn 3, to simulate the fact that they should be entering as reinforcements. But still, the whole scenario (12 turns) goes by without a single mortar shot fired. Could someone let me know what I am doing wrong? Thanks and best regards, Christophe

Post #: 1
- 8/17/2001 2:31:00 PM   
Mai Thai

Hello to you, here i'm just guessing: do you have an FO unit with LOS on enemy units?
and if you have an FO unit is this attached to the two mortars and in radio contact with them?

-- occupy it, administer it, exploit it

(in reply to Christophe Jaureguiberry)
Post #: 2
- 8/17/2001 4:43:00 PM   
skukko

if they are 'out of the box', not edited, add some artillery command to their leader, it is as low as 30-40 by default. But FO with the radio should work as good. How big map do you have? If its big enough their main targets are out of the reach. Why use halftracked mortars for AI ? AI can't hold them in one place long enough to get them in conatct and to shoot. Unless you edit them; -cut their tracks.. mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

Post #: 3
- 8/17/2001 6:15:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

Thanks guys, The map is small so it's not a question of range. I'll add an FO and cut the tracks, and see how it turns out. Regards, Christophe

Post #: 4
- 8/17/2001 10:45:00 PM   
Larry Holt

When you "cut the tracks" that is set the speed to zero in the editor, be aware that the unit can have its immobility fixed during the game and become mobile again.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 5
- 8/19/2001 5:50:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

In fact I changed the SP mortars to regular mortars. By implementing the solutions given by Mai Thai and Skukko, I was able to solve the problem (thanks again). However, the mortar units do not respect the activation turn. They are supposed to start firing on turn 5, but shoot as early as turn 2. I'll try to assign them as reinforcements again and see how it works out. Thanks for the tip Larry, it will surely come in handy. Regards, Christophe

Post #: 6
- 8/19/2001 9:47:00 PM   
RockinHarry

..time for my two cents. The reaction times for AI artillery and strike planes don´t stick, no chance without some tricks.
If you want to have only 1 fire mission for your mortars in the game you can do the following: First give it Ammo for exactly one strike, then assign the ETA of your mortar with the "t" key procedure to the desired turn and target hex and finally...remove your mortars radio (hinders the AI to cancel your mission) and place it out of command range of the next applicable unit (A0 or forward observers). This way you have exactly 1 fire mission at a preselected target and turn. If you just want to have the AI start its missions from a selected turn on (as with "reaction" turn), buy onboard Artillery, decrew them with "9" key in the first (test) turn, save game, rename savegame to desired scenario (savexx.dat --> scenxx.dat), put the Artillery crews to new location (preferably 1-2 hexes away from its gun), give the crews now the desired reaction turn, maybe objective flag, advance stance and waypoints and ... voila ...if you get the timing right the crews walk to their guns, recrew them and start firing for the AI the next couple of turns turns. Complicated?...the only other way is fixing this in the code! BTW: No way to get it for planes working though. ___________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Scenario editing help needed - artillery setup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI