Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Subs & Torpedoes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Subs & Torpedoes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Subs & Torpedoes - 2/7/2004 4:58:47 PM   
rmarine

Hi all

I've been playing the game for a couple of weeks now ... absolutely brilliant!! However, one thing is really puzzling (and annoying) me!! Hope someone can explain.

Why is it that whenever one of my subs contacts an enemy Capital ship (eg CV, BB, CA, CL, DD), fires a spread of torps and actually manages to hit the thing, I will only ever hit with one torpedo (and then hardly ever) ... but when my subs fire at a poxy little MSW, they will hit with normally two and often three torpedoes??? Very frustrating!

Carl
Post #: 1
RE: Subs & Torpedoes - 2/7/2004 7:42:37 PM   
Philwd

Are you playing as USN? The USN fleet subs(not the S-boats) have the historical torpedo dud problem. I have found thier success improves dramatically in early '43.

One other thought is speed of the target. Slower targets would get hit more.

Quark

(in reply to rmarine)
Post #: 2
RE: Subs & Torpedoes - 2/7/2004 8:02:31 PM   
rmarine

Thanks for the input Quark. Much appreciated.

Yes I am playing as the Allies and I can see the sense of the duds (should have thought of that myself). I think you're right that speed of target must be the answer ... all of my attacks on Capital ships are at sea, whilst the MSWs are poodling around their port hexes. I think that distance to target must have something to do with as well (the further the distance the greater the spread) ... or am I attributing too much to a computer program?

Carl

(in reply to Philwd)
Post #: 3
RE: Subs & Torpedoes - 2/7/2004 8:10:23 PM   
pasternakski

I don't know if there is a calculation for distance, Carl, but torpedoes have an effective range, so there's probably something to it. I think, too, that TFs containing ASW capable ships like DDs (even the IJN ones) inhibit your sub attack results through some calculation involving their ASW ratings.

I always think of getting a torpedo hit on anything as sort of an unexpected Christmas present. I never count on submarines being able to accomplish anything, so I just try to put 'em where they can do some damage and hope for the best. The nasty little minefields they can lay are worth thinking about, too.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to rmarine)
Post #: 4
RE: Subs & Torpedoes - 2/7/2004 8:14:46 PM   
Drex

I am trying to hang on to my subs by using them as minelayers in '42 and then switching to patrol by '43. I lose them too fast by putting them on patrol but minelaying allows them to place their mines and haul ass out of the area. By '43 I still have the majority of my subs and can cover the enemy's routes pretty well.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 5
RE: Subs & Torpedoes - 2/7/2004 8:20:32 PM   
Nomad

I am sure that target speed plays a large role. I had one of my I subs hit a heavily damaged USN CV with 3 torps in one firing. She did not stay afloat long.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 6
RE: Subs & Torpedoes - 2/10/2004 2:52:50 PM   
rmarine

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think you're all correct ... speed of target seems to be the main factor. I've also been reading up on the Sub war in the Pacific and all books seem to point to the fact that the US torps where pretty crap until 1943ish. They either didn't explode on impact or went off too early or too late. We shall see what happens when I enter 1943! Having said that though, 2 nights ago I managed to put 2 torps into an undamaged Japanese CV!! Woo hoo!

Carl

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> The War Room >> Subs & Torpedoes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI