Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What do you want to see next from Matrix?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What do you want to see next from Matrix? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 1:24:23 AM   
madflava13

I wanted to start a thread where we can put our wishes for game we'd most like to see from Matrix. I meant this to be something that isn't already in the pipeline, so nothing that has a forum dedicated to it already.

I thought I'd lead off with:
A "UV-Med" type game
Also, a Strategic-level WW2 in Europe game. Something that has the air, sea and land areas modeled in detail. I'm thinking along the lines of "WitP-Europe".

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
Post #: 1
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 1:35:45 AM   
pasternakski

UV Med, d@mn it.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 2
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 1:40:56 AM   
Grouchy

A WWII eastfront game on War in russia/Road to Moscow scale.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 3
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 2:06:02 AM   
Tom Stearns

HttR style D-Day game.
HttR campaign scenario.
WW2 grand strategic.
American Civil War grand strategic.

(in reply to Grouchy)
Post #: 4
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 2:08:06 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I want my Combat Leader, after that I want several other games.

I want I want I want I want.

Ok I guess I got that out of my system.

Realistically speaking though, I want Matrix Games to ignore me and not produce a damned thing until it is finished.

In that way, I will always enjoy the significant expenditure each game usually is.

I have no shortage of wargames here actually, so it is unlikely I will die if I have to wait on something. But I do indeed have a major shortage of cash. To that end, I want to be able to assume, that any game wearing the Matrix Games label is marketed with the idea... "no game released before its time".

I could add either Computer World in Flames or the A World at War program to my list of wants I guess. I don't have a truely worth buying it global grand strategy option in my stash yet.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Grouchy)
Post #: 5
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 2:11:25 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm I would not mind seeing the announcement, that Matrix Games has teamed up with our Member Veldor, to assist him in realising his goal of producing PC Up Front too eh.

I think he has a great idea, and it is possible he really only needs some commercial muscle to assist him is getting his dream into the world of reality.

Computer Up Front would basically move to the front of the line (any line at this point) for any puchasing notions in my opinion.

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 6
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 2:59:43 AM   
Hertston

A (grand) strategic Vietnam game. Maybe to include political elements as well... you play as both military commander and President.

Post #: 7
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 4:28:55 AM   
pasternakski

Great idea. Howzabout a port of the Victory Games 1985 rendering of this subject?

I would also like to see a strategic American Civil War game, and I think that nothing would be better than an adaptation of VG's title of that name.

These were, without doubt in my estimation, the two best cardboard-and-paper strategic level games ever produced. Their game systems are excellent, adapted specifically to the topic at hand, and eminently suitable for rendering as a computer simulation.

Hey! While we're on the subject, anybody remember the "Ambush" series of tactical solitaire games? A lame attempt was made to port this system to the computer, but it has all the elements for beer-and-pretzels fun. Also, I agree with Sarge 9-1 (will he ever become a 10-2?) that "Up Front" for the computer would be great, too.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 8
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 6:11:29 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I never got a chance to play Ambush, but I remember it well.

Just never saw a need for exclusively solo games in my case. Many good board games were made that did a decent job of playing well with what you would call a hotseat mode you playing both sides :)

Post #: 9
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 6:44:00 AM   
madflava13

Now that I think about it, a strategic Civil War game would be pretty cool...

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

Post #: 10
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 7:04:08 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Something like Fallout Tactics, X-com or Jagged Alliance would be fun...

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 11
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 7:14:26 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm I would not mind seeing the announcement, that Matrix Games has teamed up with our Member Veldor, to assist him in realising his goal of producing PC Up Front too eh.

I think he has a great idea, and it is possible he really only needs some commercial muscle to assist him is getting his dream into the world of reality.

Computer Up Front would basically move to the front of the line (any line at this point) for any puchasing notions in my opinion.

You are too kind Les. Obviously that game is at the top of my list and after chasing rights through no less than 4 companies now (I am on the fifth and actual owners now of the electronic rights) it is looking good.

I have several other AH/VG titles I would like to do the same for as well, though Ambush is not one of them. To me that is an example where it was the "feel" of the game that was so great and worthy of preserving and not the actual mechanics of it so much. Obviously a solitaire only PC game wouldn't be of that much use and the mechanics for how the system worked as a board game would be needless and better served by the power of the computer in other ways. In some ways it is a similar experience to Up Front in that you are concerned first and foremost with the individual squad member and work at that level.

Post #: 12
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 7:37:04 AM   
degen

I love SPWAW, but I would like to see the end of the tinkering with it and have Matrix bless a final version and be done with it so we can play without being concerned about the next version. Let the new scenarios be the additions to SPWAW rather than the constant OOB changes.

As for games yet to be published, I have to agree with Les, I would also like to see Combat Leader.

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 13
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 7:43:12 AM   
TheGreek

As far as a strategic Civil War game, since Matrix and ADANAC now have a working relationship, a facelift of Frank Hunter's "Road From Sumter to Appomattox" could produce one rather quickly. It was already a very good game. One suggestion would be to make each hexagon represent a smaller area. The eastern theater gets quite crowded using the scale on the last release.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 14
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 10:02:24 AM   
Pippin

I would not mind ‘Civil War Generals III’. Sierra tried to bring this out a while ago, but for some reason it was canceled during the prototype stage. I am not too much a fan of its strange emphasis on its moral status above everything else, but it is definitely unique and that is why I would not mind an updated version in my collection.

P.S. I hope no one jumps on me for this, but I would like to see a bug free version of Axis & Allies sometime in the next 100 years or so.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to TheGreek)
Post #: 15
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 3:01:37 PM   
ASHBERY76

A new 'Emperor of the fading suns'.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 16
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 3:43:11 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I can agree with Degen.

Matrix Games has treated us and treated us and treated us. Where does it end?

SPWaW is done folks. It works. Every item that has needed a patch (to my knowledge) where the word "need" is functionally of value, was created as a result of creating the latest version.

I remember christmas day hearing that the snd folder got messed up as the files were nestled in a redundant folder. Little errors like that basically. But considering the people involved were working themselves to perhaps crazy levels to give us a completed game in time for christmas morning.

Now there will always be those that don't agree with some aspect of the games "realism". We are all wargamers, and it is a personal affliction of wargamers, that we all "know better than the other guy".

But I would like to see some stalwart individual, or group of individuals, stop talking with their keyboard, and start talking with their wallets. After 8.0 I think it is time the game's needs were taken up by a private group and left to them to fiddle with it if anyone feels it is actually important.
Leave Matrix Games to get on with their future, and stop expecting them to endlessly fiddle with a game that plays just fine (regardless if you think that machine gun was to efficient, or that bazooka seemed odd).

It is forgotten in most cases, that each time the game is fiddled with, it means a major rush of fresh downloads. Each download has cost someone cash, and that someone is normally Matrix Games. Ok David has explained the actual cost before, but to put it in terms you can relate to, picture each download costing approximately the same as a modest priced wargame. So if you have downloaded the file say 20 times over the course of enjoying it over the years that Matrix Games has been evolving it, you have basically gotten matrix Games to invest in 200 plus bucks on giving you that free game.

That is no small thing.

Which is why it is time, the overly fussy crowd should be asked to shoulder this burden, or just enjoy that game, and stop insisting on minor minutae get fiddled with.

I play Steel Panthers WaW regularly. I have yet to play a game, and get a result, and get angry over the result, and quit the game due to its obvious grotesque level of inaccuracy.
I frankly don't even see the results.
I play the game with the perspective, was it fun, did I need to concentrate to win, was it to hard to win, or was it do darned simple to win. It never is about, did that MG get a result that is historically idiotic.

I want Matrix Games to move forward and onward.

Forward to me, is finishing Combat Leader, and cornering the market for turn using tactical wargaming at this scale of combat. It would please me to see it in a years time after release, become the industry favourite, and to hear David just paid off his mortgage or something hehe.

I want what Matrix Games is doing, to have been practical.
I want them to still be here in 5 years.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 17
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 5:41:40 PM   
riverbravo

I would like to see AA:HttR combined with SA.

The big tactical RTS of HttR and then zoom in for the actual battle in a SA format would rule.

Other than that they can just continue putting out good wargames.

I laugh at hurricanes!

Post #: 18
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/9/2004 10:23:22 PM   
dinsdale

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

Great idea. Howzabout a port of the Victory Games 1985 rendering of this subject?

I would also like to see a strategic American Civil War game, and I think that nothing would be better than an adaptation of VG's title of that name.

These were, without doubt in my estimation, the two best cardboard-and-paper strategic level games ever produced. Their game systems are excellent, adapted specifically to the topic at hand, and eminently suitable for rendering as a computer simulation.

VG made some amazing games in those days. I used to play Vietnam, Gulf Strike and Aegean Strike quite a bit.

So, my desire would be a Gulf Strike type game, large scale operational with some of the revolutionary mechanics from HTTR thrown in!

Post #: 19
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/10/2004 6:12:57 AM   
norsemanjs

Strategic level civil war has not been done very successfully on the computer yet. I've tried several and been really disappointed. So the civil war would be a great choice. Give it some detail, and not make the scale too large, you know give us some room to maneuver.

I know it may not be the most popular time period but.. ancient roman period had some wild political upheavals and great strategic maneuvering. The gauls, middle east, huns, vandals, religious factors, civil wars, slave uprisings. Man sounds pretty complicated. But if done right could be an awesome game.

I'll have to think about it for awhile and see if I can think of some more.

I would like to see remakes of some old games: Red Lightning, Action Stations, to name a couple.

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 20
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/10/2004 6:58:25 AM   
degen

quote:

I can agree with Degen.

Matrix Games has treated us and treated us and treated us. Where does it end?

SPWaW is done folks. It works. Every item that has needed a patch (to my knowledge) where the word "need" is functionally of value, was created as a result of creating the latest version.

I remember christmas day hearing that the snd folder got messed up as the files were nestled in a redundant folder. Little errors like that basically. But considering the people involved were working themselves to perhaps crazy levels to give us a completed game in time for christmas morning.

Now there will always be those that don't agree with some aspect of the games "realism". We are all wargamers, and it is a personal affliction of wargamers, that we all "know better than the other guy".

But I would like to see some stalwart individual, or group of individuals, stop talking with their keyboard, and start talking with their wallets. After 8.0 I think it is time the game's needs were taken up by a private group and left to them to fiddle with it if anyone feels it is actually important.
Leave Matrix Games to get on with their future, and stop expecting them to endlessly fiddle with a game that plays just fine (regardless if you think that machine gun was to efficient, or that bazooka seemed odd).

It is forgotten in most cases, that each time the game is fiddled with, it means a major rush of fresh downloads. Each download has cost someone cash, and that someone is normally Matrix Games. Ok David has explained the actual cost before, but to put it in terms you can relate to, picture each download costing approximately the same as a modest priced wargame. So if you have downloaded the file say 20 times over the course of enjoying it over the years that Matrix Games has been evolving it, you have basically gotten matrix Games to invest in 200 plus bucks on giving you that free game.

That is no small thing.

Which is why it is time, the overly fussy crowd should be asked to shoulder this burden, or just enjoy that game, and stop insisting on minor minutae get fiddled with.

I play Steel Panthers WaW regularly. I have yet to play a game, and get a result, and get angry over the result, and quit the game due to its obvious grotesque level of inaccuracy.
I frankly don't even see the results.
I play the game with the perspective, was it fun, did I need to concentrate to win, was it to hard to win, or was it do darned simple to win. It never is about, did that MG get a result that is historically idiotic.

I want Matrix Games to move forward and onward.

Forward to me, is finishing Combat Leader, and cornering the market for turn using tactical wargaming at this scale of combat. It would please me to see it in a years time after release, become the industry favourite, and to hear David just paid off his mortgage or something hehe.

I want what Matrix Games is doing, to have been practical.
I want them to still be here in 5 years.

Well said Les. SPWAW has been a hecka of a good ride and I doubt that I have received as much value from any other game.

I believe a good exit strategy is needed for SPWAW so that Matrix can concentrate on products that pay the bills.

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

Post #: 21
I have faith in Matrix Games - 2/10/2004 7:25:47 AM   
Jane Doe

What i would like to see covered... hmm

A SpWaW (or SB or CM) crossed with TOAW (or KP or others) all in one game.

How would it work? easy:
There would be a big 1km or more hex-based map where you play at the operational scale, then each time you assault the enemy in a hex or even just enter enemy held territory (or the other way around), it would ask you if you want to recreate the assault or the advance, or the defence or whatever, at the tactical scale.
If you do not want, the results would be managed by a die roll.
If you say Yes though, you would then be transfered to a much more detailed hex-based (or not hex based) map of the 1km hex you just assaulted when in the operational phase.(or maybe a map showing the important objective in order to capture the entire hex, etc)
I don't think anyone would want to play each and every operational movement in the tactical phase (it would totally wreck the rythm of the game), but you could certainly choose any unit, say a division, and decide to play each and every encounter they go through pretty much like a mega-campaign, except it would be more appropriately* called giga-campaign
Simple isn't it?

So what do you think of my idea? comments? insults? anyone?
Panzer Campaigns games would be a piece of cake compared to that game!

As you might see, I have faith in you guys at Matrix!

< Message edited by Jane Doe -- 2/10/2004 5:38:12 AM >

Ainsi dans le courage et ainsi dans la peur, ainsi dans la misère et ainsi dans l'horreur.

"first you need a tear, just a tear of gin......and then a river of tonic"

(in reply to norsemanjs)
Post #: 22
RE: I have faith in Matrix Games - 2/10/2004 2:14:10 PM   
Belisarius

Combat Leader, dangit.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Jane Doe)
Post #: 23
RE: I have faith in Matrix Games - 2/10/2004 7:31:10 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

The notion mentioned by Jane Doe is indeed possible as it has already been done before.

The older game D-Day the Beginning of the End, was a game recreating the Allied retaking of Europe. Each battle ie each time you commanded a counter to attack an enemy hex, could result in what the game referred to as a Microminiatures battle. This was basically a game of individual units combat that predated games like Steel Panthers.

The battle could also just be resolved without all that fuss.

Now if a game that is likely 10 years old nowcould manage this, then it is not like it can't be done. Although combining Steel Panthers type gaming with The Operational Art of War type gaming is definitely not going to fly with PBEM in my opinion. But I suppose it would attract some, as I have heard this sort of request before.

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 24
RE: What do you want to see next from Matrix? - 2/10/2004 10:46:47 PM   
pauk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grouchy

A WWII eastfront game on War in russia/Road to Moscow scale.

yes,yes,yes... RtM was very promising project, but unfortunatly we mortals never seen the results

(in reply to Grouchy)
Post #: 25
RE: I have faith in Matrix Games - 2/11/2004 1:22:35 AM   
Jane Doe

quote:

The notion mentioned by Jane Doe is indeed possible as it has already been done before.

The older game D-Day the Beginning of the End, was a game recreating the Allied retaking of Europe. Each battle ie each time you commanded a counter to attack an enemy hex, could result in what the game referred to as a Microminiatures battle. This was basically a game of individual units combat that predated games like Steel Panthers.

The battle could also just be resolved without all that fuss.

Now if a game that is likely 10 years old nowcould manage this, then it is not like it can't be done. Although combining Steel Panthers type gaming with The Operational Art of War type gaming is definitely not going to fly with PBEM in my opinion. But I suppose it would attract some, as I have heard this sort of request before.

Indeed multiplayer game would be hell. There would have to be a mixture of Head-to-head and head-vs-AI in every multiplayer game. To only make the concept of a MP game more concrete in this system is bound to create couples of headaches.

The operational phase would have to be in multiple phase. A phase where you advance or plan, and another phase where the combat is resolved and where you choose the battles you wanna play at the tactical level (or if you chose a particular unit... you play every battle it is involved in). If I take what i've just written, it would be more of a cross between V for Victory with spwaw than Toaw.

IMO, multiplayer would be feasable, it is only a new concept not yet elaborated. It is up to us to make it clear...

< Message edited by Jane Doe -- 2/10/2004 11:27:22 PM >

Ainsi dans le courage et ainsi dans la peur, ainsi dans la misère et ainsi dans l'horreur.

"first you need a tear, just a tear of gin......and then a river of tonic"

Post #: 26
RE: I have faith in Matrix Games - 2/11/2004 1:37:11 AM   
ratster

Multi level games do exist, so they can work. The Total War series is a good example. Star General or the Cosmic Balance II are good examples of what happens when it all goes wrong.

" If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Clan [GOAT]

(in reply to Jane Doe)
Post #: 27
RE: I have faith in Matrix Games - 2/11/2004 2:41:28 AM   
EricGuitarJames

I suppose this might be covered by the 'UV-Med' suggestion above but I'd like to see the Tunisian/Italian campaign(s) - kind of like the old AH 'Anzio' board game.

(in reply to ratster)
Post #: 28
RE: I have faith in Matrix Games - 2/11/2004 6:47:58 AM   
ansravar

Hmmmm...A game like Super power......World strategic warfare but supported by econimics as well...
Super power 2 looks promising though but we will wait and see........
Hmmmm also perhaps a WWII game like HOI but playable and without bugs......

Áéåí Áñéóôåõåí

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 29
RE: I have faith in Matrix Games - 2/11/2004 7:25:39 AM   
dinsdale

quote:

ORIGINAL: ansravar

Hmmmm...A game like Super power......World strategic warfare but supported by econimics as well...
Super power 2 looks promising though but we will wait and see........
Hmmmm also perhaps a WWII game like HOI but playable and without bugs......

There are two of those scheduled; World In Flames and World At War. Each has it's own forum on the site.

(in reply to ansravar)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What do you want to see next from Matrix? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI