Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Force size ratios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Force size ratios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Force size ratios - 9/17/2001 11:35:00 PM   
Grimm

For v6.1 and v7.0, what are the suggested force ratios for the various missions for player v player games? I know something was posted when v5.x came out but I was wondering if they have been updated to reflect the more lethal machine guns? My friend and I are currently playing an assalt/defend mission. I am attacking with 150% of the defender's points and that just seems like its no where near enough. (ie., I'm getting my Russian butt handed to me! Germans are defending) Thanks in advance.

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way
Post #: 1
- 9/17/2001 11:41:00 PM   
Redleg

I doubt a single ratio for missions will work for all combinations of years, nations, etc. Soviet assaulting German in 1941 is much different than Soviet assaulting German in 1944 for example. It is very difficult to attack a higher quality force. I think if German side was advancing vs Soviet in your battle at 150% of strength, it may be very different.

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 2
- 9/18/2001 12:04:00 AM   
Larry Holt

Historically a unit that attacks with a 3:1 ratio of combat power (not necessarily units) has a 50% chance of winning. This is across the board without regard to terrain, mission etc. In an assault if the defenders have entrenchments and obstacles I would suggest at least 6:1. Recently the 101st was conducting urban combat missions and used 3 companies to attack 34 defenders; a 9:1 ratio.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 3
- 9/18/2001 2:18:00 AM   
Redleg

I sure don't want to play a SPWAW game at 9:1
point differential!

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 4
- 9/18/2001 4:38:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by 13Z:
I sure don't want to play a SPWAW game at 9:1
point differential!

Against the brain dead ai, like when you are defending against a river assault (or against a really terrible player) 9-1 is just more targets. Be sure to have that ammo truck handy.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 5
- 9/18/2001 7:43:00 AM   
Alexandra

I'd like to know how those 34 guys did in the defense. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 6
- 9/18/2001 11:16:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Alexandra:
I'd like to know how those 34 guys did in the defense. Alex
You can read about it at http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/presents/archive.html look for the Urban warfare article from July 2001.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 7
- 9/19/2001 1:04:00 AM   
skukko

I've played few games so that I pick up my Germans with 1200 points and leave it up to other player how much he takes by hitting max-points On when setting up game. Then its funny to do real hit and run when other part tries to figure out where is my forces... this takes huge map and good friend at the other side.... mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 8
- 9/22/2001 12:30:00 AM   
Grimm

Paul, what are the ratios when playing against the AI? Thanks in advance.

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 9
- 9/22/2001 1:10:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Grimm:
Paul, what are the ratios when playing against the AI? Thanks in advance.
I'm not Paul, but the ratios that are in the v5.0 whatsnew file should still be in effect. It's item 14 if you look it up. Add core + support points to get player total Ai gets: defend .5 x player
delay .66 x player
meeting 1 x player
advance 1.5 x player
assault 2 x player This would be multiplied by the easy-normal-hard multiplier. If you have ai advantage on, it gets a few extra units. If you add points in Ai level, it just makes the ai unit stats better without adjusting for making them better. Before v5.x the ai used to get 7 x player for assaults, I see now how all those battles I played with v4.3b had 2 dozen ai planes along with their ground troops. The players who are starting now just don't know how easy they have it.

To make up for it, I have noticed that the ai no longer always leaves a path clear of mines on the top and bottom hex rows when defending. No more free flanking run around the mine field.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 10
- 9/22/2001 9:44:00 AM   
Warrior

I like to keep it simple, 'cause I can't remember all the stuff. In v6 (and I presume v7) I go with this: Meeting: One to One
Advance: Two to One
Assault: Three to One
River Crossing: Four to One I prefer to win by superior tactics than simply weight of numbers. Of course, I get whipped with regularity, so perhaps I should adjust these upward! [ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Warrior ]

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 11
- 9/22/2001 10:27:00 PM   
Larry Smith

This may not answer your specific question, but on the issue of ratios, it has been noted that after much experimentation, the best ratio of troops to tanks (for tank units)was 60-40. In other words, if you have six tanks, you should have four infantry squads.

(in reply to Grimm)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Force size ratios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI