Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What I Would Like to See for a New MC..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/10/2004 7:34:48 PM   
Matt R

Hello Gentlemen -

I noticed the discussion here about prospects for a new MC and wanted to offer my input.

I would be delighted to see one based on an SS panzer division lasting all or most of the war. Maybe start out in the Blitzkrieg days, go to Russia for a while, then back to France, and fight on into Germany until the end of the war. Or start out in Russia and either transfer to France to fight the US and Brits or fight the Russians on in to the final battle for Berlin.

An MC for SS SPzAbt. 501 would be very cool. An SNLF battalion fighting across the Pacific would also be cool.

Sorry for not having posted in a while, been offline because of school and work.

Thanks,
Matt.

"An army without a leader.. is like a foot without a big toe..."

Bill Murray
'Stripes'
Post #: 1
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/10/2004 8:34:59 PM   
su27

Not whole division but max one company :)
Small force like MCSE is excellent, there is too many units for me in Desert Fox and Lost Victories.

(in reply to Matt R)
Post #: 2
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/11/2004 12:35:44 AM   
KG Erwin

OK, my friends, let me add some grist to the rumor mill. I've spoken with Bill a couple of times in the past few days, and he hasn't completely ruled it out. Let me just say that a new MC is under consideration as a possible future project

(in reply to su27)
Post #: 3
Whole War SS - 3/11/2004 12:51:20 AM   
mogami

Hi, I think a SS unit would have to begin the war as a motorized outfit. Then become panzer grenadier (halftrack and stug) and finally a panzer unit. (1943?)

Due to the length of the war I would advise making each stage of this it's own Mega Campaign.

I think the complete war (what ever nationality and unit type is decided) would be a very interesting project. I'd break it down into 6 month periods. This allows several "story" lines with multiple actions per battle.

However I think this would be quite the massive undertaking and would advise holding a poll to see just exactly what nation is most popular for a complete war series. (I'd vote Soviet)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Whole War SS - 3/11/2004 1:50:55 AM   
KG Erwin

If Bill were to take on a German unit, I think it would be a regular Wehrmacht unit, maybe one that was involved in the spring offensive of 1942 and continued into Stalingrad.

However, I'm still lobbying for a continuation to "Watchtower", following the "Old Breed" 1st Marine Division from New Britain to Peleliu and Okinawa.

The Italian Campaign offers many possibilities, too.

Then again, there's also the "Big Red One", the famed US 1st Infantry Division.

All of them deserve Megas, so there are many many possibilities to be pondered and discussed.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/10/2004 6:54:43 PM >

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 5
Stalingrad - 3/11/2004 1:53:26 AM   
mogami

Hi, I think the players would really love being sent into Stalingrad
Of course we could have the unit "break out"
I'd like to see the Watchtower unit proceed to the next operation.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Stalingrad - 3/11/2004 2:03:40 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

The SS is soooooo too easy.

I would like something more interesting. Come on guys any doofus can suggest the SS and their ooooooh so out the window over the top cliche done to hell and back obviousness.

If it has to be German, I would rather pick something like the HG and their actions in say Sicily and Italy. It gets us the new theatre and a German unit all at once.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 7
RE: Whole War SS - 3/11/2004 2:17:26 AM   
Tombstone

Didn't Pegasus do a GD campaign way back in the days of SP1? Maybe I'm mistaken. The original panzer divisions have really interesting and LONG battle careers. I think a mega campaign that covered a pz co from the 3rd Pz.Rgt would be a good candidate cause of 2nd Pz.Divs resume of combat. Where ever IT was happening, the 2nd Pz Div was there.

Tomo

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Whole War SS - 3/11/2004 3:29:34 AM   
KG Erwin

Yeah, there we go. The Grossdeutschland Division on the Eastern Front. The subject of "The Forgotten Soldier". The Wehrmacht's premier unit, from regiment to ultimately a Korps designation. Great history, and good possibility.

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 9
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/11/2004 5:07:28 AM   
BruceAZ

Hi Guys:

I would vote for something unique or out of the ordinary. Maybe something around commandos, however, I do like the idea of a Watchtower2 but the thought of a very long German campaign covering a long period (max plt or co size) with small maps has possibilities too if we keep it with a simple storyline/pic base.

Okinawa, Singapore (from the Japanese point of view), and another Korean campaign sounds cool. Maybe something pre-war might be fun?

Anyway, good post. It got me day dreaming and wondering what Wild Bill is up too...

Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to Matt R)
Post #: 10
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/11/2004 6:35:01 PM   
M4Jess

US 4th Armored Division

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to BruceAZ)
Post #: 11
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/11/2004 6:54:54 PM   
Belisarius

Grossdeutschland. It was huge even back in the regiment days, but that's a unit with a full combat record 1939-1945. Should make for interesting campaigns.

Or, why not the 1st Guards Tank brigade (and whatever unit it sprung up from)?

Got StuG?

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 12
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/11/2004 9:49:35 PM   
Alby

how about one as the russians, starting at stalingrad maybe???

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 13
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/11/2004 10:09:04 PM   
Tombstone

Ooohh, are talking Katukov's 4th Tank Brigade? That would be cool. I know about Katukov's career, but I don't know the details of the 4th Tank Brigade's (which quickly became 1st Gds Tank Bde) career. I still think for the action and variety that a tank company from 3rd Pz.Rgt of 2nd Pz. Division would be best. Poland, France, Yugo, Barb, Smolensk, Typhoon, Mars, Kursk, Normandy, Mortain, Bulge! What more could you ask for? BTW, they were the first unit to the Atlantic when the Brits left the continent, they were also advanced all the way to the Meuse at Bulge... lots of monumental stuff....

Tomo

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 14
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/12/2004 11:16:35 AM   
Grooski

Gday from Down Under for the first time guys. Been a watcher, not a poster for a very long time.

I think, seeing how SPWAW is a wholly international game KG, the Megas should also focus on non-American allied forces. Maybe focus on Canadian, British, or even better, ANZAC forces (nothing to do with the fact I come from the place where beer is a food group) and some of their campaigns. We know most of the history of the many well known American/German units, so let Bill really spread his wings and show us a view from another side.

I believe the Russian viewpoint would be fascinating, but hard to find really comprehensive info for (a la LV or SE). The Japanese angle would also be an excellent one to play. But maybe the British experience in Italy would be a good play too.

I suppose it comes down to what Matrix think will sell...

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 15
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/12/2004 3:49:02 PM   
FNG

One possibility would be to follow a specific commander's career, from theatre to theatre. Hans von Luck springs to mind... Poland, France, Eastern Front, North Africa, Normandy.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to Grooski)
Post #: 16
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/12/2004 5:10:00 PM   
Belisarius

Thanks Tombstone, it was the 4th Tank Brigade/1st Guards Tank Brigade I was thinking about.

Got StuG?

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 17
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/12/2004 5:20:12 PM   
Goblin

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 18
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/12/2004 5:40:17 PM   
Ol_Dog

Has anyone suggested Patton's 3rd Army?

My Uncle was with the 2nd Armored Cavalry with the 3rd Army. A recon outfit that was near the 4th Armored Div. (Hi Jess)

Or maybe a campaign on a group like the 2nd Cav - small, high intensity battles.

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 19
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/12/2004 6:23:57 PM   
BulletMagnet

Yeah that could be cool.Pattons' To Hell and Back" It could all culminate witha hypothetical showdown with the Reds! Maybe a mini thread where you get to "keep going" like Patton wanted to do against the Sov's. HMMMMMM

"What we do in life,echoes in eternity"

(in reply to Ol_Dog)
Post #: 20
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/14/2004 6:49:58 AM   
Hades Strikes Back

What about a Winter War MC. A few platoons of Finns holding off massed Russian units. I think that would be fun. Or what about a British Commando MC where you follow a few squad around the first few years of the war blowing stuff up, and just being a pain in the butt.

(in reply to BulletMagnet)
Post #: 21
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/15/2004 5:29:49 PM   
Brutto-Bob

I vote for a MC not focused on US or German forces.

A good idea, IMHO, could be a British MC that starts after El Alamein and ends after the fighting in Tunisia and the capture of Sicily.

That theatre could be interesting for many reasons:

1) More land features: desert, hilly, woods...

2) Many different countries involved (I like scenarious with troops of different nationality): USA, CANADA, ANZAC, BRITAIN, ITALY, GERMANY, FREE FRANCE....

3) The player is always in the assault/attack stand (When playing against the AI, defence is often too easy! ). With amphibious landings, and paratroops actions.

I understand that it's a not well known theatre of war for US people, but it could be very fun to play.

(in reply to Hades Strikes Back)
Post #: 22
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/15/2004 7:25:12 PM   
Tombstone

The problem with non major players in a mega-campaign is that it's gotta be MEGA! You also want at least a little variety, like a russian infantry mega campaign would be long enough but maybe a little too punishing. Same with italy, it's a big mean grind... scenario after scenario after scenario of getting massacred on the slopes of Monte Cassino though rich with historical relevance might get a little painful. Canadians in WW2 sound like a possibility, they have a handful of armored/armored recon units that went Siciliy, Italy, Normandy, Cobra, Falaise, Scheldt, Market Garden, holland? That sounds reasonable... The Australians would be interesting since some of their units went from the ETO to the PTO.

Tomo

(in reply to Brutto-Bob)
Post #: 23
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/15/2004 7:58:02 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

You guys have all in some cases made good suggestions, but in some cases the nation involved often made it a tad difficult to get a MC experience out.

The Japanese have to be possibly the hardest, as they made impressive early gains, then a lot of times went stagnant. Or they ended up on the receiving end of the Marine Corps. The fighting in Indo China is likely the only spot I can think of for the Japanese.

The Russians, well Russia was a tad brutal to their own people. Casualty rates were in some cases horrific. It would make designing an MC a bit tricky.

And of course the obvious, we all want something new.

I think the "new" will likely end up being British ie anyone that was British ie Canada Anzacs or actual Tommies.
Desert Rats had a nice war record.
I am naturally favouring Canada though hehe :)

< Message edited by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -- 3/15/2004 12:56:33 PM >

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 24
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/16/2004 1:58:32 AM   
KG Erwin

I've seen some requests for an MC to have a more multi-national flavor, so here's a radical idea: a Korean War MC. This is not as undoable at it seems, since we have many units in the OOBs for the 1949 and beyond era. This expands the SPWaW timeline to its limits, timewise, and offers a multiplicity of options.

Why not carry the SPWaW engine to its logical conclusion, with the post-WWII era? Granted, we wouldn't have jet fighters, but we have most of the tanks and infantry units for the North Koreans represented by Communist China. Soth Korean units could be represented by the late-war Philippine or other as-yet-designed special scenario units.

You could have several campaign branches involving different countries. ROK, ANZAC, the USMC, or the US Army.

You have it all here--desperate defensive battles, delaying actions, meeting engagements, assaults, amphibious landings--the whole panorama of land warfare in the mid-20th century. The Pusan Perimeter, Inchon, Heartbreak Ridge, the Chinese Counteroffensive--it could be done.

Of course, this would be an extremely ambitious undertaking, but what better way to end the MC series than to expand the envelope and tackle this?

Is it too much? It no doubt would be a huge undertaking, and resources from other Matrix projects would have to be diverted. Do we go out with one last big bang for SPWaW, or elect for something different but less resource-consuming?

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/15/2004 6:56:51 PM >

(in reply to Matt R)
Post #: 25
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/16/2004 2:17:38 AM   
KG Erwin

One more comment--trying to reassemble the team that produced MCSE could be a difficult task. Some have gone their own way with real-life responsibilities and other projects. This is the way it happens. This was a volunteer team, so at this point, the whole notion of a new MC is very much up in the air.
You guys keep this in mind--we're discussing possibilities, that's all. There's no guarantee that a new MC will ever happen. If public opinion and sales of the other MCs warrant it, then it's possible.
I want you guys to keep that in mind. No one is making any promises, but the company is paying close attention to your feedback.
Personally, I'm lobbying for it, but you guys will help decide the issue.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 26
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/16/2004 5:35:38 PM   
RockinHarry

Assuming that release of the Combat Leader game can´t be that terribly far away anymore, I would prefer to see reserved any eastfront stuff/Mega Cam for this game instead! Another eastfront Mega Cam (beside Lost Victories for SPWAW) can IMHO only be topped with the superior Combat Leader game system, OOBs and graphics!

That said, my vote clearly goes to a "western front" or "southern front" (italy) Mega Cam, preferably played by a human Brit or Canadian player against AI germans (high time for Brits/Canucks with 2 Mega Cams already played by human german player and 2 by US!). Not to forget, to get the most out of human vs. AI played games, the AI should "play" the mostly defending side due to its lack of clever assault tactics. From scenario makers POV, it´s quite challenging to "script" an attacking AIP, but letting the AI completely go on its own usually results in dumb "early soviet union" like mass assaults.:( That seldomly fits german assault tactics and not at all US or CW ones.

Not regarding Combat Leader, I also would vote for a russian side Mega Cam, preferably late war, where germans are generally more on the defense. I´d like to see more desperately defending german infantry with rare armored counterattacks, very few Tigers and SS, some sort of payback for Barbarossa in 1941 (Lost Victories) and reversed conditions! ....and hopefully some russian scenario makers in the team this time!:)

Another nice idea for a Mega Cam would be to follow the german paratrooper branch through the war years, starting from attack on the low countries in 1940 (Eben Emael, Holland,...), Norway, Crete, then the ground operations in russia, north africa, italy and finally western europe in 1944/45! That would be the "perfect" counterpart for "Mega Campaign: Screaming Eagles";...."Mega Campaign: Green Devils"!

Or what about another "specialized" branch of the armored (german) forces? Following the path of a Tiger unit would be cool, but I´d rather find it much more interesting and challenging to follow the path of a much more common AFV unit like "Sturmgeschutz" (assault gun) or "Panzerjager" (tank hunter)! Same goes for other nations more specialized units. How many tank destroyer batallions had the US f.e?

Aargh...too many ideas..and probably none of them will see the light..at least not that soon. I guess some "Mainstream" factor will play a large role as well, as we yet speak of a product that needs to sell!

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 27
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/16/2004 5:42:49 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I would have to say KG, that even though a Korea MC would be nice, I don't think I would want to go down that road myself. The jets and helicopters were definitely there, and I refuse to believe that our community would leave well enough alone :)

I think Korea would be best left as the domain of SPMBT if it has to be done.

< Message edited by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -- 3/16/2004 10:43:00 AM >

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 28
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/16/2004 7:19:55 PM   
BulletMagnet

I concur with Less here. Imagine the threads popping up with requests for all sorts of wierd units. DOnt get me wrong its a AWESOME idea,but one probably not feesable. I think there is alot of call for rusians,brits and japs. Maybe we should get a poll.Kg?

"What we do in life,echoes in eternity"

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 29
RE: What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. - 3/19/2004 3:58:14 AM   
kensey

How would be a bataillon of the 7th australian infantry division.
Early in the war syria against vichy france and
tobruk against germany, later New Guinea/Kokoda trail
and finally borneo until the end of the war.
Would nicely combine very different theaters.

(in reply to Grooski)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What I Would Like to See for a New MC.. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI