Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crash...!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Crash...! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crash...! - 9/30/2001 4:15:00 AM   
Dedas

I had the game running all day and suddenly it just bounced back into windows.
Why!
Did the memory run out or what?
I thought that the game flushed the memory from time to time or am I wrong? SPWAW seem to get more and more unstable after each new version! (it does get better and better though!!) Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong...!? This isn't criticism to the game, it's just a question... don't get it wrong!

Glory to the brave
Post #: 1
- 9/30/2001 4:29:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Depends on your OS, What OS are you running - Windows itself gets more and more unstable as time goes on, if you do not take it down and reinstall it about every 6 months or so, it will eventually get worse irrespective of SP:WaW. Win 2k is much better, Win XP Pro will finally be "long term stable" thought the home version will be pretty good too. Folks bash the the thing, but stability wise and for compatibility with past DOS and win 3.1 stuff, it is a minor miracle...

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 2
- 9/30/2001 4:29:00 AM   
Khan7

Well, for starters as you said you had the game running ALL DAY, which is usually a surefire way to get ANY program to start messing things up. Windows is a buggy piece of shiznik, what can I say? Anyway, it would be advisable to SAVE every once in a while, even if you were using a rock-solid OS like Linux. But I understand the frustration :-P. All I can say is save occasionally. Matt

Khan7

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 3
- 9/30/2001 3:18:00 PM   
Kharan

SPWAW's stability is better now than it ever has been. Those random crashes when saving a map or a scenario went away completely a few versions back.

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 4
- 9/30/2001 7:32:00 PM   
jambo1

Even with my new kick ass system, I get "sound loops" and the odd out right crash, and sometimes I do run the game all day when I'm on a campaign. That being said this games still ROCKS!!!!

Ya only live til ya die!

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 5
- 9/30/2001 7:34:00 PM   
jambo1

This means save every turn at least, must go I heard my troops calling!

Ya only live til ya die!

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 6
- 9/30/2001 8:37:00 PM   
Dedas

I guess you are right... I just need to save more often. (but the crashes still annoys me!)

Glory to the brave

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 7
- 10/1/2001 3:31:00 AM   
Warhorse

Dedas, do you have cacheman? I've downloaded it, and use the setting for all game use for my computer, and it has literally worked miracles!!! Thanks to all the folks out there that recommended it, I too do so now The sound problem with stuttering on my presario 7000US with SB 128 PCI has stopped, and my games all seem to be much more stable, I was plagued with many crashes, very often, but with over 30 games installed, you gotta expect these things to happen occasionally!!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 8
- 10/2/2001 1:50:00 AM   
Dedas

Great!!!
Thank you Warhorse for your tip! Cacheman worked perfect and completely solved the crashes! I owe you one Warhorse ---
If anyone have problems with game crashing down on them... try cacheman! It really works! [ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Dedas ]

Glory to the brave

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 9
- 10/2/2001 2:00:00 AM   
Warhorse

Dedas, no prob' man, glad it worked for you also!!! Pretty incredible the difference, I was skeptical at first, but VERY happy I decided to try it out!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 10
- 10/2/2001 10:24:00 AM   
Khan7

I'm lazy.. could someone please provide the addy for cacheman? Thanx. Matt

Khan7

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 11
- 10/2/2001 3:23:00 PM   
Dedas

Here it is! Cacheman

Glory to the brave

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 12
- 10/2/2001 3:43:00 PM   
Arralen

You needn't install another prog - it's the [vcache] entry in the system.ini that makes most of the difference. There's simply no entry per default - and that means the Win9x uses up all available RAM after some time just for disk caching. That isn't that bad with Win98 as it can run apps from the cache, so it appears more stable than Win95 some times. You may try this out using sysmon.exe that comes with Win9x (if you installed it, what is not a default). It can display "Free RAM" and "RAM used by Cache" .. and you'll notice that Win happily let this grow to 30kB vs. 60MB .. Add that most progs (and Win itself) have some memory leaks (where Memory is allocated but never freed after usage), you shurely see why a crash is inevitable after some time. And don't forget that Win9x only runs about 48 hours without restarting because of a little programming bug Hope this sheds some light on the issue .. A.

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Dedas)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Crash...! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI