Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Introducing Your Forum Moderator

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Introducing Your Forum Moderator Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Introducing Your Forum Moderator - 3/27/2004 5:33:58 AM   
KG Erwin

To new members and to veteran forumers: I am now 46 years old. I have been married three times and this last produced a child--I became a father at 39. I am now employed as a tax auditor with the WV State Tax Department.

My interest in the military goes back to the early 1960s, with the plethora of WWII-oriented TV shows--Combat, Twelve O'Clock High, The Rat Patrol, and even later shows like Hogan's Heroes. I started reading about the history, and soon realized that the TV version of the war missed much of the big picture. I saw an advertisement in a comic book from Avalon Hill --"Can YOU do better than Rommel or Montgomery?". This was my introduction to the world of board wargames--the first one my parents bought for me was "Stalingrad". From then on out, I was hooked. From the tender age of 10, the study of military history became a passion.

However, as I approached my teen years, another passion overtook me--rock n roll. My family was always musically oriented, and I soon picked up a guitar and by the time I was 17 was playing bass guitar in a weekend club band. For several years, gaming took a wayside to my budding rock n roll career. I obviously never made the big time, and much crap has happened in the intervening years. My life was in limbo for a while, but in the meantime my interest in the PC (in the 1980s it was a Commodore 64) rekindled my interest in wargaming. I got a regular job and started buying C64 wargames wherever I could find them.

Fast forward again to 1999. I'm gainfully employed and able to buy my first PC. This is the one I'm still using, though I have a Win XP Dell as a family PC. I've bought a multitude of PC wargames, made the acquaintence of Bill Wilder and David Heath through fortuitous circumstances, and here I am.

I'm fortunate in that I've gained a position inside the gaming world, but it's been a long road. Am I one of the "old breed" of gamers? Maybe, but I've made the conversion to the new world of PC gaming, and I much prefer it (sorry, Les).

I left out much personal and boring stuff, but this is the short version of your moderator's background.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/26/2004 10:33:57 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Introducing Your Forum Moderator - 3/27/2004 5:49:49 AM   
minefield

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
.. I am now employed as a tax auditor with the WV State Tax Department.

.. made the acquaintence of Bill Wilder and David Heath through fortuitous circumstances, and here I am.

I see how it goes . Thanks for the introduction. It helps for us newer members. Happy birthday. Or as my parents sometimes refer to theirs, another not-so-happy-to-be-older-but-the-alternative-is-worse day. So that tells you I'm definitely of the new breed. But I can respect the old breed. Good luck keeping all your pups (members of this forum) in check.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Introducing Your Forum Moderator - 3/27/2004 6:23:01 AM   
KG Erwin

Oh, I see, minefield, you could easily be my son. In the wargaming world, you ARE my son, in a manner of speaking. We are active participants in the games but able to pass on valuable lessons.

See, this is the strange thing about baby boomers--we still like to party and listen to rock n roll. My generation will NOT grow old gracefully. My favorite band is the Rolling Stones, and Mick Jagger is now 60. Being old is being redefined. Consider yourself lucky, minefield. You'll be able to rock until you're 80. Don't laugh, my friend--I can personally validate one fact of life---as you get older, time passes faster. This is absolute truth.

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 3
RE: Introducing Your Forum Moderator - 3/27/2004 6:29:26 AM   
minefield

I just hope I can hear the metal by that time, father

never cross a minefield

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Introducing Your Forum Moderator - 3/27/2004 7:30:39 AM   
Buzzard45

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

To new members and to veteran forumers: I am now 46 years old.

Ha !! Just a pup. Right CP ? (The Capt is younger than me) I woulda kicked your butt in grade school. The Capt still could but me well.... only in the pixel world.

Thanks for the bio KG. It was interesting. The Stones rock but Deep Purple and Three Dog Night are where the REAL memories come from. Okay maybe The Doors too. Is it March already?.... No its April next week. Oh crap I missed another winter. Time sure does fly.

Party at my place next weekend. Shrimps on the Barbee and Steaks on the BBQ. No MGD's allowed. Bring your own Bud or Fosters or Carlsberg or Guiness or Stella Artois or Alex Keith's (my favourite). Virtual Yard party. Lawn Chairs supplied.

" Look alive!! Here comes a Buzzard"
POGO

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Introducing Your Forum Moderator - 3/27/2004 2:20:25 PM   
robot

Many more too you KG. Now let me put on the Guy Lombardo and relax. Get my teeth from the jar by the bed. Try and stand up to get to my desk after i get out of bed. Go out and fight them nasty Chinese as the Japs.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Buzzard45)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Introducing Your Forum Moderator Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI