Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reccomendation for low points campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Reccomendation for low points campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reccomendation for low points campaign - 10/13/2001 4:25:00 AM   
LonChaneyJr

Could some of the veterans reccomend some lower point values for someone who doesn't have the brain cells to deal with the number units in a 3000pt campaign? Will any point value I use still work or is there a value where the gameplay falls flat? Your comments would be appreciated.

Post #: 1
- 10/13/2001 6:21:00 AM   
McGib

Personally when starting a wwii campaign I usually take something like this;
1 infantry company
(just the squads, no support weapons unless I'm thinking of transfering them out later)
no more than 6 tanks.
small section of onboard arty. A couple of mortars or field guns. With a core as small as this your battles wont take you several days to complete and you wont sprain a brain muscle trying to decide your tactics.
Hope this helps.

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to LonChaneyJr)
Post #: 2
- 10/13/2001 7:13:00 AM   
brianleeprice

I've often used (as US) one combat group reinforced with an extra platoon of mechanized infantry, a couple 81mm mortar sections, two forward observers, a section of .50 cal HMGs, and a platoon of command cars. It's a tad armor heavy but quite flexible and fun to play without taking hours per turn. I reorganize things somewhat, replacing the combat group's SP artillery with the extra mech inf platoon and attach a .50 cal and command car to each forward observer. The extra command car get's attached to the HQ so I can rapidly get it in and out of the action where necessary. Sometimes I'll buy a section of ammo carriers so I don't need to spend aux pts on them (or an ammo dump) much of the time. Also I've had some success with buying some recon patrols to act as tank riders for the flanking and command tanks. Total cost is between 2000 and 2500 pts. Now as other nations I've used fewer pts - between 1500 and 2000. The game seems to scale quiet nicely to those core force point values. I've been meaning to try a campaign with a fairly historically accurate mechanized infantry company as my core force.

Post #: 3
- 10/13/2001 9:33:00 AM   
Alexandra

I never use more than 2500 in a campaign, and I'm playing a long campaign with a Japanese core force, 2 infantry companies, basically, that came in at like 1400 I think when I bought it - though it's worth more now, I think Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 4
- 10/13/2001 11:56:00 PM   
LonChaneyJr

Thanks for your replies everyone. I did some experimenting last night and the game is playable even at 800-1000pts. Is it just my bad memory or did the game not reduce the map size in the earlier versions to account for low points?

Post #: 5
- 10/16/2001 12:42:00 AM   
Tombstone

What about a 12000 point campaign with scenarios that usually have a ton of auxiliary units in addition to core?? Would anyone be interested in a campaign which is the total opposite of a small campaign? 12-16 battles whose average battle size is close to the maximum SPWAW can handle? Just wondering, cause I've spent the last 8 months working on a big campaign that is somewhere close to 75% done. Tomo

Post #: 6
- 10/16/2001 8:51:00 AM   
darroch

Variety is the spice of life... fewer than 1000 points gets a little strange - the AI comes for the victory hexes and with few units it isn't too hard to figure things out once the first enemy is spotted... 1500-2500 is a nice size for fast-moving, playable games but against the AI I didn't get that much out them 2500-4000 is about my favorite but in the canned campaign games, this gets tedious after awhile because it's always a slugfest between lots of units 5000 points gets you to a battalion+ sized unit and this is good if someone is generating the battles for you - otherwise it is worse than the previous category in terms of just slugging away.. 12000 points?! I'm willing to give anything a try - I have to assume you're using really big maps with widespread objectives - if you plan to reward the player who plots his battle, maintains a reserve, and has lots of playing time, then it should be quite enjoyable... just my two drachmas...

Post #: 7
- 10/16/2001 9:39:00 AM   
Tombstone

The AI can never be given fewer than a few thousand points, it's so prone to screwing things up that it needs some insurance.... As far as the 12000 point core campaign at Kursk, the maps are big, the objectives vary, but preserving your forces is really the key. 12000 points can dwindle fast. It's one thing to win a big battle, it's another thing entirely to win several with a minimum of points to reconstitute your forces. Tomo

Post #: 8
- 10/16/2001 10:17:00 AM   
Truckeye

dumb question, does the campaign automatically adjust to the points you spend? is this true for the ready-made ones or just campaign maker?

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

Post #: 9
- 10/16/2001 5:54:00 PM   
AC

Tombstone wrote
quote:

As far as the 12000 point core campaign at Kursk, the maps are big, the objectives vary, but preserving your forces is really the key. 12000 points can dwindle fast. It's one thing to win a big battle, it's another thing entirely to win several with a minimum of points to reconstitute your forces.
Tombstone, is this Kursk campaign available somewhere for dl? I defintely would give it a try. AC

"Tridentina, avanti!" General L. Reverberi leading his Alpini troops in the decisive assault on Soviet-held Nikolajewka, 26th January 1943

Post #: 10
- 10/17/2001 12:53:00 AM   
Rover

Yah Tombstone... can we get our hands on this one? You said something about 80% done, when do you think it will be completed. By the way I really like the big campaigns and enjoy the feature of few replacement points.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Reccomendation for low points campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI