Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/13/2004 8:39:23 PM   
kensey

Major Kensey reporting, first assignment.
The map is large, about 2700 points involved.
I have forgotten the exact number.
Much open and hills with a larger hill in the center
which controls much of the middle. North and south
has patchy or not so patchy forest.

First round: No enemy contact whatsoever.
Has mike forgotten to deploy his troops?
Though, lots of automatic rifle fire can be heard in the
background. If the germans want to waste their ammo...
Or are that my guys? Is it first of July? No it's
first of June. I fired some smoke to hide what evil
things I am doing being it.

Nothing more to report.
Post #: 1
RE: First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/14/2004 7:41:04 PM   
kensey

First of all: Help! Does anyone know what to do to see enemy movement during the VCR playback? I only see enemy troops when they are shot at by my own units but this way a whole tank regiment could use a turn to pass by my infantry and I wouldn't even notice it. This can't be the usual way of your intelligence in a PBEM game, can it? "Hey captain, shouldn't we tell HQ about the 20 tanks which are driving there through our lines?" "Don't think so. They don't shoot at us, so whats the problem?"

The second half of the first turn saw a heavy tank battle in the middle. Mikes PZ-IVhs attacked my Shermans which were positioned on the center hill. 3 German Kfz222, a german tank and a Sherman were lost.

I already learned a lesson:
Do not let Tanks draw a defensive position even if the terrain gives you an advantage. It's good against the AI but not against a human player who knows how to waste the enemys opportunity shots and how to flank attack.

My little surprises (Bazooka teams deployed by halftracks near his lines) were a complete dissapointment. Although two chances were given to close assault a Kfz222 all failed. One bazooka team was killed by friendly op fire when it "retreated" into the Hex where the unit that fired on it was positioned .

First half of the second turn, and I lost another sherman. I stopped believing in the height advantage and took a look into the manual which states: "Vehicles are considered hull-down if they are aren’t stationary and are in...". "Are aren't" should probably be "are"? Does this mean that there is no height advantage at all if units are moving?

Not much else has happened.

(in reply to kensey)
Post #: 2
RE: First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/14/2004 10:41:49 PM   
minefield

I have learned some of your 'lessons' the hard way as well. I'm pretty new too.
Tanks definitely should not be left on hills as I learned. Tanks are best used in unseen positions. Perhaps even tucked away in your pocket or that secret place where you keep your girlie mags.
No advice on the bazooka assault situation.
The "are aren't" is definitely a type-o and something later in that paragraph contradicts the possibility of it meaning to be "aren't" (I think the 'in cover' is the part). Height does still have the advantage, even when you are moving, that you are attacking from a higher elevation. The rounds should strike at a less of an angle against the sloping armor (don't quote me on this), or at least have a better change of hitting the vulnerable top. I lost an elephant when Arethusa nailed it from a hill.

I haven't figured out how to see enemy movement in the replay. I cut on the scroll / movement delays and still nothing. I don't know what is up with that. I agree with you, that intelligence should be reporting not only shots fired, but the platoons of tanks that are rolling through your lines.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to kensey)
Post #: 3
RE: First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/15/2004 12:59:36 AM   
mike etc

Yeah PBEM is a whole diffrent ball game. Whatever tactics you've developed against AI can pretty much be thrown out, or at least mine wern't much use.

And Minefield I want a rematch in the weeks to come. I'm sure we've learned a lot since our first encounter. This time lets not play with the VH giving points per turn.

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 4
RE: First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/15/2004 2:43:12 AM   
minefield

That's a deal mike etc. I learned how to be defeated. Working on learning how to repeat a victory...

never cross a minefield

(in reply to mike etc)
Post #: 5
RE: First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/15/2004 3:18:46 AM   
mike etc

yeah I won my first two games! Then lost to you and it's been down hill ever since.

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 6
RE: First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/15/2004 8:39:24 AM   
minefield

I have been told the battles are 75% luck. How is the game going with kensey?
Sorry I ruined your hat trick.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to mike etc)
Post #: 7
RE: First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/15/2004 5:30:38 PM   
mike etc

quote:

ORIGINAL: minefield

I have been told the battles are 75% luck. How is the game going with kensey?
Sorry I ruined your hat trick.

so far so good....although i've been having play back problems. Game keeps freezing when I try and replay his turn.

< Message edited by mike etc -- 4/15/2004 3:28:06 PM >

(in reply to minefield)
Post #: 8
RE: First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/15/2004 9:51:25 PM   
kensey

It seems to go uphill again for mike. I was advised by supreme command to havily underestimate my losses to bolster home morale but what the heck:

I lost 3 more Shermans during his turn. Two of them were hull down and in rough hexes. Was that bad luck, bad luck or bad luck? If the rate of demise of my precious shermans goes on like this I will soon be able to use my routed crewmen to put up a last stand.

Mike wrote me that he can't use the replay because the game freezes each time he starts it. At last, there is some excellent news .

In my turn I managed to kill two Kfz222, one of them after the german crew decided that it was much safer to be shot at out in the open. German motorcylce infanterists up now not very effective except in making cool noise during retreat. Apart from that: Germany on the advance. Let's see whether I can stop their tanks before they drive the allies back into the atlantic.

Minefield, yes I have the impression tanks are not there for to be used, with the possible exception of your opponents tanks...

(in reply to mike etc)
Post #: 9
RE: First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/19/2004 1:49:57 AM   
kensey

Only a short report this time, I urgently need some sleep.

Mike killed a halftrack which stupidly fired towards
a german tank form about 15 hexes away (or maybe I
was stupid not to set the range).
But then finally something to ease my wrath:
Another german PZ needed to be towed back
to Berlin to be used as scrap metal. A halftrack
to the south heroically fought back a combined
Falmetank/infantery attack.
General situation: Slow german
advance onto the center hill, stalemate north and
south.

(in reply to kensey)
Post #: 10
RE: First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach - 4/20/2004 2:59:51 AM   
kensey

Things are going partly well, partly bad. For the latter
part let's get a front line report from sgt. Burns,
ranger B Company, 1. platoon:

quote:

We are pinned here. Constant 81 barrage, and this ****bag
of a colonel doesn't do a thing about it.
We of course have no artillery support, and all this
captain of ours is doing is to wipe the colonels bloody
stinking ass. If I would be in charge of this scam those german
guys over there would be long gone to nirvana.

Thanks for voicing your opinion sgt. Please report to me
after battle to get your promotion to stretcher bearer.
Now to the other news: While the crew of a german
flame tank were still giving each other high fives
for smoking an american recon squad a bazooka team
interrupted the celebration with a shoot into it's side
giving all uninvolved bystanders a graphic demonstration of
why it is a bad idea to be inside of an exploding flame tank.

Some luck for me north where a sherman approaching a
buttoned Pz got under enemy opportunity fire but
managed to finish its mission unharmed.
Some luck for the germans south where a Pz survived some
heavy fire into its side.

In the back area my FO decided this turn that it was high time to
have a tea brake.

(in reply to kensey)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> First PBEM against Mike - somewhere near Omaha Beach Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI