Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OOB for Germans in WWII campaign Sept 39

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> OOB for Germans in WWII campaign Sept 39 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OOB for Germans in WWII campaign Sept 39 - 10/29/2001 7:31:00 PM   
Royal Warwicks

I would like to play the WW II campaign as Germans starting in September 39, a little help with a balanced OOB would be great, I always end up with too many tanks for it to go well. 88,s appear the best AT option but are they too expensive?

It only hurts if they hit you!
Post #: 1
- 10/29/2001 8:15:00 PM   
El

My choice is normally about 30 squads of motorized infantry ( later to be upgraded to those nifty apc's ). With the additional choices included in these companies I normally go for the cheapest option to save points for other core troops. 37mm at-gun for example..Also I take about 25 armored cars which are of course later upgraded to decent panzers. I also take one solid panzer group of 4-5 to provide atleast some firepower during first missions. The rest of the points are normally spared for mortars, snipers and other cheap options which I normally upgrade to mortars and about 3-6 wofrahmen rocket launchers. Thats my ( quite succesful ) combination of 3 long campaigns. If you need more help post it here. Mannerheim

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make some other poor sob die for his."
-Patton?

(in reply to Royal Warwicks)
Post #: 2
- 10/29/2001 8:44:00 PM   
KG Erwin

Here is a repost from an earlier thread:"... here is Kampfgruppe Erwin at present, with Command Control OFF but Unit Comm ON: HQ unit, 2 Pz III, three sections of Pz IIs (9 Pz IIs), three Pz III sections (6 Pz IIIs), three Pz IV sections (6 Pz IVs), two SS Mech Platoons, one Wehrmacht Mech Platoon, an Engineer Platoon mounted in halftracks, 3 snipers in Stoewer 40s, a strong recon element with 6 Sdfkz 231/8s, 3 Heavy MC sguads, 3 MMG MC squads, 6 Recon Patrols with 8 halftracks (2 as spares), an FO in a Stoewer, and for extra punch to the Recon element 2 37mm SP Flak and 2 20mm Sp Flak.I also have 3 Kubelwagen MGs for the recon group and 2 Stoewers to collect stray crewmen. I opted for high quality and fast-moving groups, and I usually group these into 3 tank/mech inf groups and 2 recon groups to cover the flanks. The engineer platoon is the reserve element. As far as contemporary Wehrmacht doctrine is concerned, I imagine this was standard procedure, but I really lucked out in getting a higher-quality fast KG than is usually the case with the rarity option on. As a historical note, the Germans had 23 or 24 tank companies at the time, so I took this as not an historical anomaly. For support I generally go for offboard artillery. Composition-wise, this is similar to the Panzerverband Kempf, which in reality didn't see action until the latter stages of the campaign. I find it useful to go ahead and pre-target the closest victory hexes at the beginning, and then adjust fire as necessary. Mind you, I'm still operating in the Polish Campaign, and those guys are definitely tough customers, infantry-wise. I hope to get me some 88s before the French campaign". Royal Warwicks, use the forum search feature for "core force" and you'll find much useful info.

Post #: 3
- 10/29/2001 8:52:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Royal Warwicks:
I would like to play the WW II campaign as Germans starting in September 39, a little help with a balanced OOB would be great, I always end up with too many tanks for it to go well. 88,s appear the best AT option but are they too expensive?
Since you can pick any starting point value for the WWII campaign, it doesn't make any sense to buy low cost items only to upgrade to units that are already available. In doing so you lose experiance and the ai force will be a multiplier of your force anyway. My German core was:
1 company infantry
1 company engineers
1 platoon pz1b
2 platoons pzIIc
2 sections of 88 AA
6 snipers All told it added up to about 2200 points. A small enough force that it wouldn't be unamanageable by wars end, and large enough to cover the frontage of the small and medium maps on defense. Early on the 88's and engineers would be my primary tanks killers. The tanks were there to finish off enemy troops. The snipers were my recon element. At the end of the war, the tanks had upgraded to PzVIb, the infantry company was now F/J, the snipers became wirblewinds as the allied air attacks became intense, and the 88's had changed to the pak43. Also the engineer mgs and infantry company mortars has been changed to PzVIb as well. The last year of the war I hardly lost a tank, and won decisive after decisive.
thanks, John.

Post #: 4
- 10/29/2001 9:27:00 PM   
Alexandra

I'd very strongly argue against 88s in a core force in '39. Why? Because, in '39, the 88 was the Divisional AA gun. There were at most 6 in a division, assigned to protect the Div HQ from air attack. At Arras, in '40, what Rommel did was order his Div HQ forward to he could get the 88s into AT action. But beyond the total ahistoricality of '88s being used in Poland in AT fire (which they weren't) and in numbers that didn't exist, there's a better reason to not use them. Challenge. 88s are too easy. It amazes me to no end how many people on the forum use nothing but the most advanced gear - and them complain about how easy it is to get DVs on the AI. Use the 37s that the Germans really used. Use mainly Pz I's and II's, as they were the most used tank - set yourself up to have to work for the wins, and I think you may appreciate the AI a little more Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 5
- 10/29/2001 9:47:00 PM   
Royal Warwicks

Alex
I prefer to play the historical oob's, but having spent 4 years with SP3 I've got used to needing loads of armour.Is the use of mortors going to give enough close support, or will extra art be required?

It only hurts if they hit you!

Post #: 6
- 10/29/2001 11:49:00 PM   
Mikimoto

Hello. Now I am running a long campaign with Germans. My core force is a reinforced infantry batallion compossed of: Recon elements:
2* Infantry scout platoon
2* kuebelwagen platoon to mount the recon scouts.
4* Snipers
1* Forward Observer Core force:
3* Infantry company
1* Engineer platoon Heavy (Machinegun) Company:
6* MG34 sections (12 MG teams total)
1* Mortar platoon (six tubes) Extras (this is a first wave division):
3* 37mm AT-Guns section (6 tubes)
2* 20mm AA-Guns section(4 tubes)
1* 75mm Howitzer section (later upgraded to 120mm mortars)
wagons/mules for AA and AT guns.
1 command car for my Commander
1 Stoewer40 for the FO
3 Snipers to add to the Company commanders.
1 Inf-AT platoon to add to the Companies AT platoons (for a total of 4 At teams in each company) [ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Mikimoto ]

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

Post #: 7
- 10/30/2001 9:20:00 AM   
Alexandra

quote:

Originally posted by Royal Warwicks:
Alex
I prefer to play the historical oob's, but having spent 4 years with SP3 I've got used to needing loads of armour.Is the use of mortors going to give enough close support, or will extra art be required?

I've never played 3, so I don't know how it compares. I've found mortars to be pretty useful, and Pz I's are pretty good against early war infantry with those MGs. As for how much arty, again, I think that's a preference thing. I tend not to use that much, but that's just me Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 8
- 10/30/2001 10:01:00 AM   
McGib

It all depends on how big of a force/battle you want to have. My core force is usually a infantry company, no more than 6 tanks, and maybe a couple of mortars. I use support points to buy recon and hvy arty. With a small force like this defends and delays get very interesting. You have to decide where to defend as you cant be everywhere in force.

Ready Aye Ready

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> OOB for Germans in WWII campaign Sept 39 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI