Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How many riders on a Tank - the proof!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How many riders on a Tank - the proof! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How many riders on a Tank - the proof! - 11/14/2001 8:16:00 PM   
Tommy

Paul, Here it is, the proof! We've been demanding that you allow more infantry to ride on a tank; but you've refused. You cite lame excuses like "they didn't do that in real life". Well, here's the proof that they did . These Northern Alliance troopies in Afghanistan (I count 21 on the front half alone) show that it can be done! Now Paul, modify the OOB's to allow at least 40 men (and a donkey or two) to ride on each tank. Tommy

Post #: 1
- 11/14/2001 8:38:00 PM   
Larry Holt

But this was on the "E" model of the tank that had .0005 less slope and 15 cubic inches more space due to repositioning of the radio and aux scope. Production numbers for the "E" model are unclear but it seems to equate the "K" model that is in the Bulgarian OOB. I will fight any attempt to cram another model in instead of adding the donkey mounted triple tube AA that clearly was produced in at least 4 versions (including the advanced model where its ears were tied back to keep them out of the way).

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 2
- 11/14/2001 8:44:00 PM   
generalrichmond

I'd be spinning that turret in circles as fast as it would go!!

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 3
- 11/14/2001 9:41:00 PM   
Alexandra

Let's also not forget that those guys were not under fire! Picture an RPG, or a M-60, or even a molotov hitting one of those vehicles. You'd lose the vehicle, and 2 squads. So, in SP terms, sure, let you mount 40 guys on a tank - if they all become casualties when it brews up! In fact, one could say that the only glaring weakness in the SP passenger system is that passendgers don't lose enough men when the vehicle explodes. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 4
- 11/14/2001 9:53:00 PM   
Tommy

quote:

Originally posted by Alexandra:

So, in SP terms, sure, let you mount 40 guys on a tank - if they all become casualties when it brews up!
Alex

Larry, Alex didn't mention any donkey casualties. Do you think he knows about the 5th version of the of the triple tube AA donkey,; the one with the Nomex/Kevlar blend pajama's? Tommy

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 5
- 11/14/2001 10:31:00 PM   
Cona

[ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: Cona ]

"War is much too serious to be entrusted to the military." - Tallyrand

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 6
- 11/15/2001 12:00:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

Alex ... all you have to do to reduce casulaties in a 40 person carry mode on the E version is to have the turret angled 7 degrees to the right... and if you open all the hatches at exactly 37 degrees ( the E model has inclinometers on each hatch for this purpose ) donkey casulaties will be reduced 47.9 % ... if the troops are wearing Mk VII kelvar turbans casulities should be almost nil ...
btw if you check the Mk V donkey mounted triple AAA gun has no ECM or smoke dischargers and is very vunerable in an air attack ...so the Northren Allinace has only been using them in a rear area support role and you are unlikely to see them in actual combat

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 7
- 11/15/2001 12:09:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by AmmoSgt:
Alex ... all you have to do to reduce casulaties ...t
AmmoSgt, are you having fun at Alexandra's expense? I am shocked that someone would mock the details that some go into in OOB development, its the heart of the technical accuracy of the game. Oh wait, I made a such a post. I must now go calculate the added benefit of the MKII dark paint on US tanks. It seems that when the sun warms it, its coefficient of friction increases and APCR-XYZ rounds richocet at 0.00589% greater probability.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 8
- 11/15/2001 12:34:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

You guys (and gals) crack me up

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 9
- 11/15/2001 1:16:00 AM   
Charles2222

.....And of course the mandatory Fran Tarkenton disclamer: "Kids, never try this at home." Perhaps the crew was silly enough to have tried the British trick of frying eggs on the mudguard and before you knew it there was company. That's probably a field kitchen tank, or would be after the frying . I'll bet you'll spot a few chickens in that picture. [ November 14, 2001: Message edited by: Charles_22 ]

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 10
- 11/15/2001 1:23:00 AM   
m10bob

Actually if we can load some of those tanks down with strap-on phone booths and a few VW's,i think we might cram on another hundred or so...watcha' think professer????

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 11
- 11/15/2001 2:32:00 AM   
chief

Those guys on the tank (with mule) had better watch out for the Tally bands 40mm camel mounted ATGs...they are lethal...and I hear that camels are deadly to mules....have you ever smelled a camels breath, now that's cb warfare....

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 12
- 11/15/2001 2:57:00 AM   
BlitzSS

Paul needs to modify the armor rating of tanks carrying more then 10 troops, although it might not help to much, like strapped on tracks, against AP, HEAT rounds it should dramatically help absorb HE.

"Nuts"

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 13
- 11/15/2001 3:18:00 AM   
panda124c

Just how many people can you get into a VW Bug?????

Hey can't you get five more it they ride the cannon barrel. Don't even talk about the one riding the MG barrel.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 14
- 11/15/2001 3:57:00 AM   
Warrior

I hate to inject a serious note here, but while designing Redleg discovered that if you cut the number of men in the squad, you can overload almost anything. Once they're loaded, reset to the original squad size. Of course, after they dismount you'll never get them all on again.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 15
- 11/15/2001 11:21:00 AM   
valdor17

Those aren't riders---they're 'spaced armor'!

A66
1st MRB

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 16
- 11/15/2001 1:35:00 PM   
Khan7

The notion that the Northern Alliance would carry that many men into battle on its tanks is utterly preposterous. The added weight of these boisterous hitchhikers would cut the top pushing speed of the team of new recruits behind by an entire 5 feet per hour. Such a compromise of battlefield mobility is something no good commander would ever even consider. Matt [ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Khan7 ]

Khan7

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 17
- 11/15/2001 3:13:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

By the way, Alex, you are wrong: these guys were under fire, probably even under heavy fire - of a camera ot two

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 18
- 11/15/2001 4:03:00 PM   
fguillemart

I think none of you guys considered the protective effect of M251 depleted uranium beards when dealing with 40 mm camel ATGs. And may I remind you that Mk V AAA donkeys are now supplied w/ laser range finders that enhance greatly their effectiveness against low flying crows

What does not kill us makes us stronger. Friedriech Nietzsche

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 19
- 11/15/2001 9:40:00 PM   
Tommy

!!! THIS JUST IN !!! Spy photo of Taliban AAA Donkey Model II. This earlier version lacks the ear tie down modification found on later models (note scorch marks).

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 20
- 11/15/2001 10:16:00 PM   
Larry Holt

Tommy, Do you have CIA connections? Great new intell!

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 21
- 11/15/2001 11:30:00 PM   
Charles2222

Would that be Eeyore by any chance? Eeyore would be a fitting spokesanimal for them.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 22
- 11/16/2001 12:29:00 AM   
11Bravo

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:
[QB]!!! THIS JUST IN !!! Spy photo of Taliban AAA Donkey Model II.
Nice mountain camoflauge! I think this finally puts to rest the necessity of emptying out the Finnish and other little used OOB's so we can include all the important and historically correct paint jobs found on ass-mounted artillary units. Some suggestions: Jungle, Pasture, Arctic, Harlequin, and the rarely seen (but important!) Octoberfest Ceremonial Full-Regalia. [ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: 11Bravo ]

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 23
- 11/16/2001 5:02:00 AM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by Valdor:
Those aren't riders---they're 'spaced armor'!
Nope: reactive armor. The waving gives it away.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 24
- 11/16/2001 6:07:00 AM   
Dave R

Actually guys. You all have it wrong. Thiis is a Red Cross photo of a bunch of poor souls who have developed TankFoot! Apparently Northern Allience Medics are desperatly trying to discover the M1A1 strain of this ailment!

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 25
- 11/16/2001 7:11:00 PM   
pax27

And why stop at the loading of AFV´s. The picture below shows that you´d be able to cram at least a couple of platoons on each heavy truck, along with all the clothes, ammo, toiletseatcovers, makeup and what ever the ww2 soldier needs to make war. Note that the trucks are Mercedez, so the troops on the picture must be german SS during the North Africa campaign!

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 26
- 11/16/2001 7:29:00 PM   
melcer

Don't forget the most important consummable for the Taliban AAA donkey, the carrot. Without, it will be great under fire but wont move to another position.
We must hope that the talibans has run out of this most strategicaly important resource.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 27
- 11/16/2001 9:01:00 PM   
Charles2222

melcer: Well obviously the solution is to bomb carrot fields then. Only problem is that they would see the strategy soon enough and then deploy one or more 'animal shields' by getting famous rabbits like Bugs Bunny and Rabbit (from Winnie the Pooh [and let's not forget the rabbit used on Captain Kangaroo]) held hostage over the most noteworthy fields.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 28
- 11/16/2001 9:24:00 PM   
melcer

quote:

Originally posted by Charles_22:
melcer: Well obviously the solution is to bomb carrot fields then. Only problem is that they would see the strategy soon enough and then deploy one or more 'animal shields' by getting famous rabbits like Bugs Bunny and Rabbit (from Winnie the Pooh [and let's not forget the rabbit used on Captain Kangaroo]) held hostage over the most noteworthy fields.
True, what would the PC-crowd say when rabbits are being bombed. Me, i don't care that much about the rabbits as long as you GET THOSE FIELDS!
The problem is that those fields would be the Taliban AAA donkey favourit area to be in. You have consider the probability of heavy losses among the strike pilots. Melcer

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 29
- 11/16/2001 10:06:00 PM   
Charles2222

melcer: Have you ever considered the advantages of an anti-carrot missile? Sure, you could get some homegrown carrots on the jets, replace regular missiles with them, and fire them into the enemy's rear. What this would achieve, is as the donkey offensive was commencing, a lot of these missiles to the rear would confound the donkeys to follow those missiles instead. Of course the problem would be two-fold. You would have to fire enough missiles to attract the donkey to your carrots, over the one in front of them on the stick (a case of one almost in the hand/hoof to many from the Bush), or you would have to deploy super-carrots large enough in size (perhaps even decoy carrots would work) to make the one in the hoof seem meaningless. Having thought about this more, perhaps having leaving the fighters to regular missiles would be best, and instead start the carrotkrieg by dropping them from bombers drifting down in parachutes.

(in reply to Tommy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How many riders on a Tank - the proof! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI