Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What are your favourite AFV´s?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What are your favourite AFV´s? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What are your favourite AFV´s? - 11/16/2001 4:34:00 AM   
sebagonzalez

For me the best, not all around, but the best AFV is by far the German Nashorn. With its 88mm L71 gun and 10 points of Fire control and Range finder, it is My elite Long Range Mobile AT in any army i set up. Using the Nashorn implicates diferent tactics than using Heavy tanks, or even medium tanks, since u relly in speed and its big gun. Then u must use it behind hills, waiting to see the enemy at long range, then u move it up the hill (the enemy will mostly miss any shot at it from long range), and then u start killing the enemy tanks from there, and if not killing, at least heavy damaging them. Then u use a waypoint style, moving from there to other hills, to avoid any enemy artillery fire behind the hill to supress or destroy the opened turreted Nashorn. It´s serious drewback is that it cant handle excellent when visibility is low, but, it will be for sure, and for ever, the elite of my AFV´s of mid to late war.

Mierda....y ahora...que corno hago?
Post #: 1
- 11/16/2001 6:09:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

Wich is my favourite or wich one I think that was the best?
any way... my favourite is T-34/85, and I think that was the best all arrownd WWII medium tank.
It had in my view the best balance of firepower, armour and speed

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to sebagonzalez)
Post #: 2
- 11/16/2001 6:40:00 AM   
Warrior

The Sherman Jumbo.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 3
- 11/16/2001 6:40:00 AM   
asgrrr

Have to go with last speaker. Those that dig panthers and tigers don't take reliability and producability sufficiently into account methinks. Then of course the JS-2 was an exceedingly well designed tank, it put protection and firepower into a much neater package than Tiger 2.

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

Post #: 4
- 11/16/2001 6:58:00 AM   
sebagonzalez

In my experience, russian armor to have accuracy relies more on an experienced crew than the german armor. Put a bunch of newbies in a Nashorn and a bunch of newbies in any russian tank and lest see which blows in flames first.

Mierda....y ahora...que corno hago?

Post #: 5
- 11/16/2001 7:13:00 AM   
Truckeye

the jagdpanther certainly passes the "look" test for me. its one bad mamma jamma! also at some angles it looks like a jacked up hot rod ready to rumble. add on that its got the wicked 88, speed, and armor to boot.

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

Post #: 6
- 11/16/2001 5:17:00 PM   
alassi

Jagdtiger

Sgt.A.Lassi FwdObserver 2nd Arctic Mortar Platoon I19/P5--Hell is not hot,its cold.

Post #: 7
- 11/16/2001 6:05:00 PM   
Tommi

I dig them big cats, even if they weren't the most reliable or easy to produce. Gimme my Panther or Jagdpanther! If they're out, a Tiger will do (but not Jagdtiger nor King Tiger, the "original" issue, please).

11 is louder than 10.

Post #: 8
- 11/16/2001 6:25:00 PM   
pax27

I like the German AFV´s a lot.
When we´re talkin tank destroyers I´d have to go with Jagdpanther AND Jagdtiger. The setback with a TD like this is that it´s turretless, but with speed, armour and a heavy maingun...the rest is history.
My favourite tank is simply the Tiger. Much for the same reasons americans like baseball: The history, the myths, the family entertainment
The Panther is obviously a strong AFV and I´d love to see what the Panther II could have done in battle.
And ofcourse the Königstiger is a favourite as well, but the game has set it´s speed down for some reason. In fact the Tiger II was almost as "fast" as a Tiger I, go figure.
OK, these are the easy choises, but why change a losing team?
And just on a note when we´re talking equipment in WW2. It´s easy to brush of this or that german equip for whatever reason, but I always think about a small but significant "what if".
What if the germans didn´t have a mad man as a leader and got tangled up on two fronts and with the horrible and abominable holocast. I DON´T want to get political, but as a person interested in german equipment I´d be a fool not to be excited by this notion.
What kind of AFV´s would we have seen if all resources could be used to fight a "normal" war. This is just a hypothesis, but one worth pondering over IMHO.

Post #: 9
- 11/16/2001 7:00:00 PM   
Gen.Urquhart

panther.....yes probably that's my best...but it's too easy!!!who doesn't like it?speed,armour,accurancy,the 75 L70 gun...too easy i repeat!!
talking about the game,one of my fvourite tank to use is the Churchill Croccodile!!!!You gatta use a specific tactic for it,because its 75mm short barreled gun is not very effective,especially at long range,so u have to hide it behind hills or in the wood and then wait to use your powerfull flames!!!!won a lot of pbem with that...fireflies were exellent but the usually lose their match with panthers...so when the battle must have a turning point..here comes the croccodile...usually supported by a pair of engeneers squads!!!!

Post #: 10
- 11/16/2001 8:40:00 PM   
LilJoe

I,ve been using Pershings and am quite pleased with them. They have both speed and firepower(and with the proper tactics) can tackle anything the axis has and still come out on top. And of couse their built in the good old USA!

"Victory Through Superior Marksmanship"

Post #: 11
- 11/16/2001 8:48:00 PM   
Charles2222

While I definitely like the KTiger and Jpanther etc., I like more the ones that were more economic, and had a huge surprize factor involved. I like the SGIIG because of it's economy, but I like the JPZIVL better, because while it was fairly economic, it had the killer Panther gun, so it qualifies as suprize factor, because there aren't many AFVs that were both low and had a whallop for a punch. That's where the suprize factor comes in, because given it's dimensions it could easily be mistaken for the SGIIIG in that it had the punch of the much higher AFVs, and I like it's lower silhouette too because it's going to get hit less. My other candidate, since I enjoy playing Gerry so much, and you start out playing with this unit at the beginning of the campaign, and having restarted so many campaigns you get to like your most surprizing unit, and that is the underdog PZIB. Used properly, that tank can more dominant in the field than the KTiger later on, although each would be dominant in completely different ways.

Post #: 12
- 11/16/2001 9:00:00 PM   
Warhorse

Well, I like the prototype (albeit combat tested),Dicker Max aka 10.5cm Sfl IVa. Although only available in early '41, this TD can sit back on a hill, and eat T-34's, and KV's for breakfast, lunch AND supper!! As far as my favorite, I would have to say the Hungarian 40/43M Zrinyi II assault gun, nothing outstanding about it, under armored, gun not very impressive, but the design, low silhouette are appealing somehow. Hungarians managed to bag quite a few T-34's with these in the later stages of their involvement.

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 13
- 11/16/2001 9:26:00 PM   
Panzer Leo

Defenitely the HETZER !!! You don't want to be taller then 1.70m when driving it, but there's no other tank that matches it's size to effectiveness ratio. This tiny little thing just needs a good bush to hide behind and gets you from the flank...
...oohhh, and don't forget it's armor. You'll really appreciate it's 60 degrees front plate as it is more then a match for most guns...best conversion of an old suspension and one of the cleanest shapes you'll find...

[URL=http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/spwaw_h2h_modrework.php] [IMG]http://www.theblitz.org/member_sites/panzer_leo_spw@w/PzLeos-H2H-Title-1.jpg[/IMG] [/URL]

Mir nach, ich folge euch !

Post #: 14
- 11/16/2001 10:43:00 PM   
asgrrr

I don't want to be contrary, but I would like to comment on what pax said about the tiger "sisters", as it applies as a general principle.
In a simulation we must be wary of taking theoretical figures at face value. While it may be true that one could push the Tiger 2 as fast as his older sister, this is not something one would do in real life. If you did, the tank would break down after a very short drive, and then we would be much worse off. Also, in this case we must take accelleration into account. Tiger 2 would need a longer "runway" to reach top speed than #1. A similar logic can be applied to Tiger 1 vs Panzer IV, which had theoretically the same mobility. Although I understand the desire to have fun with a game like this, I am the sort of character that when realism fails the fun breaks down.

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

Post #: 15
- 11/16/2001 11:08:00 PM   
GuntherX

Definitly the sIG 33 or Brumbar! Infantry in buildings no problem.
The M10 becuase it's cute.
RD

R.D.

Post #: 16
- 11/16/2001 11:29:00 PM   
kutalik

I am real partial to the T 34/85 like Gallo Rojo. It is indeed a great mix of speed and firepower. But you know for obscure tanks I have a special place in my heart for the the Ram II. The 6lb gun is nice gun for those '42 battles especially for German opponents that underestimate the Canucks. That is before the later German tanks starting rolling in-- then goodbye to that!

Post #: 17
- 11/16/2001 11:29:00 PM   
Colonel von Blitz

quote:

Originally posted by Penetrator:
Have to go with last speaker. Those that dig panthers and tigers don't take reliability and producability sufficiently into account methinks. Then of course the JS-2 was an exceedingly well designed tank, it put protection and firepower into a much neater package than Tiger 2.
JS-2 was very neat package, but fitting that huge 122mm gun into that little tank. That meant there was no room for ammunition... Anyway, I thought the issue here was about FAVOURITE AFV, not the all-around best, or which was most built, which had the all good qualities in one package So, my favourite AFVs are simply the german heavies. They're just so beautiful and one must stop and think what kind of terror they must've caused when enemy has seen them coming...or firing... Wasn't it Nashorn with it's 88L71 gun that blew Soviet JS-2 from 4500m away?? Close second place goes to Soviet heavies. JS series of tanks are just beautiful...and not taking into account small ammo load, they have an awesome gun Colonel von Blitz

--Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak--

Post #: 18
- 11/16/2001 11:35:00 PM   
scimitar

SU-85. Very pure design.

Pour une dent toute la gueule!

Post #: 19
- 11/17/2001 12:13:00 AM   
SoleSurvivor

Pz 38(t) Not German, but one of the best pre-war designs. Too bad it wasn't ready to have large guns easily fit on it.

"Wenn sie jetzt ganz unverhohlen
wieder Nazilieder johlen
über Juden Witze machen
über Menschenrechte lachen
wenn sie dann in lauten Tönen
saufend ihrer Dummheit frönen
denn am Deutschen hinterm Tresen
muss nun mal die Welt genesen
dann steh auf u

Post #: 20
- 11/17/2001 4:49:00 AM   
Belisarius

Panther. It's versatile, reliable, got one hell of a gun and a fair engine - and good looks! Otherwise, it's the SdKfz251 halftrack series.
..and I kinda like the CrusaderII and M3A1's as well...

Got StuG?

Post #: 21
- 11/17/2001 5:46:00 AM   
dox44

Shermans, with the 75mm. best tank in
the war

Post #: 22
- 11/17/2001 5:54:00 AM   
Tombstone

My favorite tanks are BT-5's and BT-7's. Cause they carry a bunch of infantry and move faster than lightning. (And are cheap) I agree that the 34/85 is the best tank all around tho. Tomo

Post #: 23
- 11/17/2001 5:55:00 AM   
voyrep

The legendary Tiger!
Cause it looks so mean... Voyrep

Post #: 24
- 11/17/2001 5:55:00 AM   
m10bob

My favorite was the M4 Sherman for it's reliability,adaptability,and mass-producability..(The best tank of that was was the German Pzkw V)..Next was the russian T-34 (and variants).IMHO

Post #: 25
- 11/17/2001 6:06:00 AM   
pax27

quote:

In a simulation we must be wary of taking theoretical figures at face value. While it may be true that one could push the Tiger 2 as fast as his older sister, this is not something one would do in real life. If you did, the tank would break down after a very short drive, and then we would be much worse off. Also, in this case we must take accelleration into account. Tiger 2 would need a longer "runway" to reach top speed than #1. A similar logic can be applied to Tiger 1 vs Panzer IV, which had theoretically the same mobility. Although I understand the desire to have fun with a game like this, I am the sort of character that when realism fails the fun breaks down.

Realism is good! But there has to be a reason for the general notion that Germany had great equipment during WW2.
Well, I could be out of my league here, maybe I´m just rambling about... But I´ve seen and heard a lot about Königstigers beeing virtualy unstoppable in a tank battle. It´s true that they were not too reliable, and that´s due to a short development period. The first Tiger I´s weren´t succesfull in battle the first couple of times; they broke down. That changed quite a bit later in the war.
It´s also true that the Panther tank was developed from captured T-34´s, so I´m not saying that everything german is good, and that the germans were the only ones creating good equipment.
I just want to get my point through, a lot of things in the OOB´s are made to balance the game, not to reprecent reality. Or so it seems to anyone talking the time to check twice. It´s mainly little things, like the Königstiger having a front turret armour of 215mm in the game, when the front armour of the turret was really about 180mm (Henschel/production turret). This makes the 110mm of the Tiger IIP2Turm (the Königstiger in the czech OOB with the Porsche turret) seem too thin, although its round design more then well makes up for these figures. Little things like this that don´t ring true sometimes. To me...
I was rambling, and this is NOT criticism against Matrix or any post in this thread, I just had to get it out!
And BTW, NOT choosing a german AFV like the Tiger Königstiger or Panther is taking the easy way out, just check this thread!
I have made my choise (previous post): The Tiger is my favourite AFV, among other things it got me interested in WW2 and wargaming to start with, and that´s always something.

Post #: 26
- 11/17/2001 6:13:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Going to myths... the Tiger I, a damned beast! But I prefer the warhorse/workhorse of the german armoured divisions, the PzIV. Due to its mechanical reliabitily and cannon punch it was choosed always as the armoured spearhead, the arm of decision... not Panthers and alike. Well I love Jagdpanther and T34-85 designs too...

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

Post #: 27
- 11/17/2001 6:20:00 AM   
Jackk

Gotta be the Lee/Grant series.
With 2 MG, a light armor gun, and a 75mm all on one chassis it's an infantry sweeper. I've had the most fun with these things killing off tracks and their respective infantry. Just gotta stay away from the enemy's real tanks

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

Post #: 28
- 11/17/2001 9:29:00 AM   
mellon

My personal favorite is the infamous Sturmtiger! One can only imagine how that huuuge rocket launches and a few seconds later incinerates a few closely packed infantry squads. Hrmph, I wonder what Mr. Freud would have said about that...

Post #: 29
- 11/17/2001 10:36:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

I will always be a Tiger fan. But in my heart at this moment is the Jackson. Won my 3 last battles

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What are your favourite AFV´s? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI