Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USA Trucks?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> USA Trucks? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USA Trucks? - 11/28/2001 8:56:00 PM   
mao

Here's a question someone (a brand new player) e-mailed me:
quote:

The people who made this game must have a truck-fetish. Five trucks for the US Army??? And many are only different in the icons they use, or maybe they can carry 2 kg more. Insane if you ask me
Am I correct in assuming that it is just a legacy from so many different versions that cannot be removed?

Post #: 1
- 11/28/2001 9:16:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

I'm not sure what the question here is ... Help me out .. Is there a problem caused by the 5 American trucks ? SPWAW goes to some incredible lenght to name such specific weapons, such as Rifles which cannot actually be diferentiated by different values, given the span of the unit values , ( look at the various arty, AT, AA, and MG units whose availability differs strictly based on the secondary weapon, the Rifle) This actually uses OOB slots that in some cases are limiited depending on the OOB.
Often times there are hard choices to be made in wether to inculde a weapon in an OOB or not , look at the German OOB and the German Units that have been put in the Cezch OOB , just to have them available even in a limited way in the game.
Is there a percieved shortage of slots, and a Critical missing unit in the US OOB that we need to know about ? Or is this a new High Point in the never ending search for something to whine about ... If the Former please let me know ...If the later then I think it might be Time to Announce that SPWAW is Perfect and have a Party

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 2
- 11/28/2001 9:26:00 PM   
mao

Well, you certainly put me in my place [ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: mao ]

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 3
- 11/29/2001 12:46:00 AM   
Warrior

The person who asked the question is obviously a communist who can't deal with the choices a free-market offers.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 4
- 11/29/2001 1:04:00 AM   
mao

I have to confess. 'Mao' is really the name of a cat...

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 5
- 11/29/2001 1:13:00 AM   
bradmbrown

I believe I know why there are all those trucks with the same numbers: If I make a scenario based on some history and there were five of "truck X" in a convoy, and I do NOT have any of those trucks in my OOB, and I am no OOB designer or "Grognard Of Science," I will want those trucks and I will have NO IDEA whether they are the newfangled IR equipped 9 wheel overland schwerpunct-ptuii ubberwagons or just five little Nissans... No harm. If I were a "Grognard Of Science," I would change the OOBs and Equipment manifests if I wished.
I don't wish, for fear of not being able to find the newfangled IR equipped 9 wheel overland schwerpunct-ptuii ubberwagons when I NEED them. Don't want to reinvent the wheel, I ain't smart enough.

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 6
- 11/29/2001 2:21:00 AM   
Charles2222

Yeah, wasn't there a US truck variant that regularly used off-road tires and therefore got increased traction in bad weather over other trucks? And what about those ones with the hi-po exhaust system? Hmmm, this is reminding me of that thread that literally went to the donkeys. Anybody want to jump on board (a truck, and not a donkey, that is)?

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 7
- 11/29/2001 9:31:00 PM   
Warhorse

Oooh, ooh, here's an idea to solve EVERYTHING! Let's go back to just one generic truck icon for each country, just call it truck, one rifle squad with generic 'rifle', 'grenade', 'mg', etc. Then for Germans just one pz III, Pz IV called just that, to cover every model of the series, do the same for every country, then to solve the cost whining..make them all zero!! Make your own cost based on what each player thinks it should be!! Then there would be plenty of empty unit slots....oh, then we would get complaints about the lack of unit types, oh dear, what to do!! Sorry, couldn't help myself, no malice intended to anyone!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 8
- 11/29/2001 10:07:00 PM   
Charles2222

Warhorse: I have better dubious idea. Why not make each unit 4000pts? This way when you start off, a German campaign for example, you'll have not enough points for a single unit, thereby forcing a surrender the first battle (assuming your mission is offensive). After that first battle, you can pick say a PZIIIE, and the computer, well, bless his heart, he won't be able to pick a thing until he has an offensive mission, or until you get enough upgrade points that you can afford to have a second tank. This will also insure that the human player wins at least 50% of their games, and not only that, but it will also make battles really quick (unless the enemy "unit" becomes difficult to find). So there you have it. For those who want equilibrium is pricing, you have it, for those who want easy quick victories, you have it, for those who like going hunting, you have that.

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 9
- 11/29/2001 10:11:00 PM   
Mark Ezra

Let me make this perfectly clear...I love Cats and Trucks. In fact we need more of both. I see no Tabby Cats listed in the OOB's...Tigers, yes...Panthers, yes...for pity's sake...even Wolverines are listed...But not a single House cat for any country! What is going on here. Has SPWAW failed us yet again?

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 10
- 11/29/2001 10:17:00 PM   
Charles2222

Mark Ezra: I don't know, but there's probably a Persian tank in there somewhere, besides the tankers saw enough housecats squished under their treads to know not to name them after them. You have to make sure and name it after an animal that you haven't the slightest chance of running into.

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 11
- 11/29/2001 10:25:00 PM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by Mark Ezra:
Let me make this perfectly clear...I love Cats and Trucks. In fact we need more of both. I see no Tabby Cats listed in the OOB's...Tigers, yes...Panthers, yes...for pity's sake...even Wolverines are listed...But not a single House cat for any country! What is going on here. Has SPWAW failed us yet again?
Well, that was another oversight caused by lack of available OOB slots. Sure, they found room for the Puma and Lynx, but not the late war AFV 'Mittens' (due to petrol shortage it ran on milk).

Jim NSB

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 12
- 11/30/2001 10:51:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Mao - you've got to understand - these trucks were a product of Detroit. Detroit has a long tradition of turning out a new model every six months or so. "bang that sheet metal just a little harder Jim, seems the boys upstairs want a 'racier' spring model" Detroit also created the Detroit Tigers. (don't see THEM mentioned in the OOBs either )

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 13
- 11/30/2001 6:56:00 PM   
mao

I guess I should understand that ... since I live in Detroit

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 14
- 11/30/2001 10:07:00 PM   
lnp4668

How about the Detroit Lions? Well, maybe with their record, they are better left alone

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to mao)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> USA Trucks? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI