Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Change Swastika

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Change Swastika Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Change Swastika - 12/4/2001 10:36:00 PM   
Frizz

How can I change the German Swastika to the Iron Cross? I know I read it somewhere but can't seem to find it now. If anyone knows please post

Post #: 1
- 12/4/2001 11:51:00 PM   
pax27

In your SPWaW folder you have a folder called Shp. In this you have two folders, one called IronCross and the other called Swastika. Copy the files (minus the Holder.txt) in your IronCross folder to the Shp folder and overwrite. This getīs you the IronCross. To change back you (you guessed it) copy the files from the Swastika folder to the Shp one. [ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: pax27 ]

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 2
- 12/5/2001 2:48:00 AM   
generalrichmond

On a related subject, was there an Iron Cross flag, or is this just a no-Swastika workaround unique to SPWaW? If there was, what color was it and what did it look like?

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 3
- 12/5/2001 5:46:00 AM   
Khan7

There was no Iron Cross flag. There's just a lot of PC disease going around nowadays.. Matt

Khan7

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 4
- 12/5/2001 8:35:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

Originally posted by Khan7:
There was no Iron Cross flag. There's just a lot of PC disease going around nowadays.. Matt
Amen. It's like a disease: If you can suffer through it without dying, your immunological
system will probably put an end to further occurences.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 5
- 12/5/2001 9:11:00 AM   
Bing

Pardon me for butting in here. However ... if you could go back far enough in the forum mesages, you would find the Iron Cross-for-Swastika substitute came about because of the German players. Their government prohibts ALL use of the Swastika, no matter when and under what circumstances, if caught even innocently showing the Swastika, Germans are (at least theoretically) subject to prosecution. So the shp file was created for them and has been around since, I think, the v5x series, probably even before that. No Iron Corss flag I know of, but most German military equipment I've seen sported the Iron Cross, in lieu of the Swastika - this may have had something to do with German officers believing they were apolitcal, not sure of this apsect though. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 6
- 12/5/2001 5:18:00 PM   
pax27

If you donīt like the Swastika (or whatever you want to call it) you should stay out of India and Asia, especially China. Itīs still a symbol of the sun or a symbol of good there, just like it was for the native population of America before we decided to kill it off as a Nazi symbol (actually, I guess Adolf killed it for us).
Thereīs a movement among the native Americans to reclaim the swastika because they want to be able to use it in their culture again. Thereīs also a cool Coca-Cola ad from the 20īs that uses a huge swastika. The list goes on, before the nazis stole this symbol it was used around the world as a totally different symbol.
Not seeing is far from solving a problem, but thereīs a lot of people that cant see past the swastika as a symbol for ultimate evil, so ofcourse itīs good that you can change it to the Iron Cross instead.
I am however wery thankfull for the fact that SPWaW uses the swastica in the game, so many other wargames donīt, and to me thatīs wrong.
BTW, the situation for Germans is obviously different from a lame Swede like me, and I fully understand/respect their recentment and their laws.

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 7
- 12/5/2001 6:27:00 PM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by pax27:
If you donīt like the Swastika (or whatever you want to call it) you should stay out of India and Asia, especially China. Itīs still a symbol of the sun or a symbol of good there, just like it was for the native population of America before we decided to kill it off as a Nazi symbol (actually, I guess Adolf killed it for us).

The swastika that you refer to in Asia is symbol for compassion in Budhism. It is different than the one used by the Nazi in that the Budhist symbol stands straight up, instead of tilted on one leg like the one used by the Nazi. It always seems congruous to me that a symbol for good could be changed to a symbol for destruction by just slightly altered its position. It seems that good and bad are just two flip sides of the same coin. Similar to the Yin and Yang symbol. Ok, I'll stops the philosophizing.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 8
- 12/5/2001 6:50:00 PM   
NeoWhiteWolf

In reallity the swasitka appears in over 15 cultures....Theyve found it in Germanic tribes about the roman era, In China and lower Asia, Egypt, some south american places....Its like the pyramaids many ppl came up with a simalr looking symbol... The symbol earliest meaning is the Asia and it mean WIndmill....I think ppl should let things go....Life is too short...If a Woman who lsot her family and friends to the camps in the 40's forgive the men that did it cant ppl fogive the past for making mistakes by not making them agian. [ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Richard WhiteWolf ]

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 9
- 12/6/2001 3:07:00 AM   
pax27

I am aware of the slight difference in the swastika symbol around the world, but itīs still the same symbol.
The christian cross also has many different looks all over the world, and ofcourse the upside down cross, sometimes given a satanic meaning.
Itīs funny that only me and a bunch of americans are discussing the swastika, but Iīm pleased to see that the swastika insnīt taken just as a nazi symbol only anymore.
Well, pease and all, at least Frizz got an answer to his Q...

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 10
- 12/7/2001 6:58:00 PM   
Jacc

The meaning of swastika depends on whether it "opens" to the left or right (I recall vaguely that right is life, left is death, or something). Finns used the basic "straight" swastika, unlike Nazis. It was adopted here at 1920s, as a Swedish count gave two of his airplanes to Finland - they later became FAF.

Pain is for the weak.

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 11
- 12/7/2001 8:15:00 PM   
halstein

To my knowledge, the meaning of the swastika is the same independently of how it is drawn. Tha main reason for the nazis to tilt it, after what I have heard, was that looked more dynamic that way. The nazis choosed the swastika because it was considered by them an old germanic symbol of good luck.

Halstein

(in reply to Frizz)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Change Swastika Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI