Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Overruns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Overruns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Overruns - 5/30/2000 9:33:00 PM   
Larry Holt

When I enter an enemy occupied hex then attack that enemy (essentially overrunning them), my unit always faces to the right. Then other enemy units take OP fire at my back and flank sides. Please add this to the list of things to fix. ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one.

Never take counsel of your fears.
Post #: 1
- 5/31/2000 6:14:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Those were the ones hiding in the shadow of the foxhole. Don't you hate to get shot in the back. Spoils your day Duly noted, Larry. Good observation. I think part of that is due to the fact that you are so exposed in close combat. But I'll ask to be sure...WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 2
- 5/31/2000 10:26:00 AM   
Redleg

The units turning in an "over run" situation is an old SP phenomenon..... Often seen, discussed, but still with us. That doesn't make it right, but I'm betting it would cost too much in man-hours to fix..... but, have faith, WB wil check it out. ;-) Redleg

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 3
- 5/31/2000 8:44:00 PM   
Charles22

Wild Bill: I believe what Larry is objecting to is not so much that being in an overrun would expose the vehicle to rearward fire on the tank, from those units 'in the hex', as indeed, we really don't know where in the hex the units are, nor that units priorly in the hex might sneak around the tank, but the the tank's facing automatically changing, exposes the tank to rearward fire "outside" of that hex. For example let's say the enemy is basically due west, and so you enter as overrunning from the east. Suddenly, entering into the hex from the east, throws your tank in the opposite direction to be exposed to rearward fire. So, if you're big on assaulting, pray that your force starts out as the western half of the map, that way assaults won't change the direction of your tank. Myself, I haven't done that many assaults, to tell you whether or not it functionally changes direction, so that fire outside the hex hits the rear, or whether it's just graphical.

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 4
- 5/31/2000 9:10:00 PM   
Desert Fox

quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: Myself, I haven't done that many assaults, to tell you whether or not it functionally changes direction, so that fire outside the hex hits the rear, or whether it's just graphical.
From countless experience with the other SP games, I know that it is not graphical, it is indeed real. I do not use overrun techniques because of that. It is an odd problem, but hopefully one that can be fixed.

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 5
- 5/31/2000 9:12:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

A good point, but often in "overrunning " the tank had to manever wildly in the hex. BUt the current "right face" isn't good...

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 6
- 6/1/2000 8:19:00 PM   
Plukh

Hmm... then rotate it randomly. Playing for the Russians, I'm always attacking from the east, so in assault missions this becomes a real problem.

(in reply to Larry Holt)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Overruns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI