Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Heelp! I Suck at Advancing!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! - 6/22/2004 6:41:01 AM   
MonsterZero

I drive my units right into the midst of enemy infantry, MGs and anti-tank rifles without seeing them. In fact, once in a while I stop my tank or armored car and find myself in a hex occupied by enemy infantry.

I'm so furious when my tanks are lost in ambushes I restart the scenarions and can't ever finish a scenario.

I understand foot infantry is much better at spotting but they stay so far behind advancing armor they don't have a chance to participate in battle.
Post #: 1
RE: Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! - 6/22/2004 9:50:13 AM   
Jamminji

Hi MonsterZero,

Try riding the infantry on the tanks. Move up then dismount and look around. Remount and move farther. Also look at the number of turns. Many senarios have many turns. You don't have to rush your tanks in... be patient. Also use cheaper units, trucks, jeeps, smaller tanks etc as scouts. Don't send your best stuff in first.

I am sure there are other things too...too tired to think...hehe

jam

(in reply to MonsterZero)
Post #: 2
RE: Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! - 6/22/2004 11:55:18 AM   
Marek Tucan

In SPMBT I was lately really furious...

US attack against Irq, jan. 1991...

My Apaches weren't able to see a thing! T-72 fired on it from ten hexes and the Apache didn't see the tank!
The same with Abrams and Bradleys

Tuccy

(in reply to Jamminji)
Post #: 3
RE: Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! - 6/22/2004 1:29:53 PM   
Jim1954

This link may help some:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=615468

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Marek Tucan)
Post #: 4
RE: Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! - 6/22/2004 5:22:28 PM   
Mangudai

quote:

I drive my units right into the midst of enemy infantry, MGs and anti-tank rifles without seeing them. In fact, once in a while I stop my tank or armored car and find myself in a hex occupied by enemy infantry.

When that happens hit Alt O to overun. It works on unspotted units too I think. At least I've overun riflemen, and also killed crewmen that I didn't know were in the same hex. It will also destroy the crew served weapons most of the time. And the sound effect is awesome!

(in reply to MonsterZero)
Post #: 5
RE: Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! - 6/22/2004 6:49:39 PM   
rbrunsman

MonsterZero, are you moving one hex at a time or just clicking several/many hexes away and letting the vehicles pick their own route? That's a sure way to run into trouble.

Also, it is not a good tactic to run you armor out in front of your infantry even if the infantry is slow. Combined tactics are needed to win. If you split your armor from your infantry, what good is your infantry on an advance? They are just following and doing nothing. Either get them trucks or HTs so they can keep up. Or, slow down your advance.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 6
RE: Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! - 6/24/2004 12:48:34 PM   
guyhill

Something else that might work: use a rolling arty barrage in front of your units. This will most likely suppress most unspotted infantry. Then ride in with armored infantry, unload and take a look around. Chances are you will spot some infantry without them shooting at you. Note: this works especially well in built-up areas.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 7
RE: Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! - 6/24/2004 3:24:20 PM   
TheChin

Trucks are cheap, use them to get the infantry in as close as safely possible. If you can afford it, put high cost infantry (like engineers) in half tracks and use them to run up and assault suppressed crew weapons.

One thing with trucks, even though they are cheap, as soon as they drop their guys, get them back to the rear. Their points add up for your opponent when they start getting whacked. (It's especially painful when you miss getting a victory, or even a draw if things are going badly, by just a few points and it was because you just parked the trucks too near the front and they got chewed up.

"Conan, what is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

(in reply to guyhill)
Post #: 8
RE: Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! - 6/24/2004 3:43:30 PM   
FNG

Recon, recon, recon.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to TheChin)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Heelp! I Suck at Advancing! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI