Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

German opponents need handicap???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> German opponents need handicap??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
German opponents need handicap??? - 12/23/2001 10:17:00 AM   
fat slob

When playing against a human controlled Germany in a generated meeting engagement battle, should the opposing force get additional purchase points (Russia, USA, etc.)?
In other words, if the German player gets 1000 points to spend, should the Russian player get the same or more?

I ask because I was under the impression that the general overall superiority of the German units was balanced out by their higher cost (on average). So for example, the German player wouldn't be able to 'purchase' as many Tigers as the U.S. player could purchase Shermans. But some recent posts by others have made me wonder if this is enough.
I realize that in an assault scenario, the attacker would normally get more points.
But what about meeting engagements? Opinions are like *ssholes, everybody has one! :-)
So let me hear some! (err...opinions, that is)

Post #: 1
- 12/23/2001 10:24:00 AM   
tracer

If you've recently generated a battle (or loaded a battle e-mailed to you) where the buy points were changed in the 'preferences' screen, these numbers will sometimes be retained, showing up in the next battle you generate. Try going into the 'preferences' screen and setting the buy points manually (or delete the steel.prf file).

Jim NSB

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 2
- 12/23/2001 1:09:00 PM   
Drex

i have played all my meeting engagements at parity even though there may be qualitiative differences between forces but this is negotiable.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 3
- 12/23/2001 5:44:00 PM   
James P

There has been a lot of debate about this, and I agree it’s a difficult subject, especially for PBEM. You don’t want to upset your opponent by putting loads of conditions in place before you play. I tend to prefer historically factual battles, but others prefer good old slug fests. I don’t have a wealth of data available, but I’m sure some of the history buffs out there could develop a table showing points ratio’s that are historically correct based on countries & year of the war. Now I've suggested this, I am now imagining pages of arguments about 50 points either way Either that or just rely on the “rarity” setting, which has effected my purchasing many times before. It does, however, seem random, as I’ve been unable to purchase standard German infantry, but as many Jagdtigers as I can afford!

Cheers, JP

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 4
- 12/23/2001 10:41:00 PM   
tracer

If 'True Troop Cost/Rarity' is on, the forces will be adjusted accordingly. I misunderstood your question when I posted my first response; thought you were saying the battle generator was giving unequal buy-points.

Jim NSB

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 5
- 12/24/2001 4:11:00 AM   
Fredde

Depends on what kind of battle you want to fight. If it is an infantry battle, Germans need more points

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 6
- 12/24/2001 7:54:00 PM   
GI Seve

quote:

Originally posted by Fredde:
Depends on what kind of battle you want to fight. If it is an infantry battle, Germans need more points
Interesting... I don't think german infantry is worse than russian atleast if you look at weapons. I haven't played gerries much against US nor brits. Ofcourse if you pick later years german infantry becomes horribly bad even with its good weapons. In year -44 germans start to get slightly under their opponents and on yr. -45 germans have so bad morale and experience averages that they run most of the time after minor skirmish with russian tankodezanks not to even mention some hard ass guards infantry So if you want balanced infantry combat put historic ratings off and play with base morale/exp of 70 atleast on year -45. Then you'll need no kind of twisting of points.

HallelujaaGobble!

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 7
- 12/25/2001 9:32:00 AM   
fat slob

quote:

Originally posted by tracer:
If 'True Troop Cost/Rarity' is on, the forces will be adjusted accordingly. I misunderstood your question when I posted my first response; thought you were saying the battle generator was giving unequal buy-points.

So are you saying that no variation in the battle points is required if you have 'True Troop Cost/ Rarity' on?
In my original post I was assuming that it was turned on since I always play this way, and that's why I said that the units cost were factored in.
But is this enough in a meeting engagement? [ December 24, 2001: Message edited by: fat slob ]

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> German opponents need handicap??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI