Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The use of abreviations :)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The use of abreviations :) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The use of abreviations :) - 12/25/2001 5:01:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

It always amused me and amased me the fact that Americans and British people use abbreviations so much. You must be the ones who use this the most in the entire world . It is not a critic, just a fact. I always regarded it as an extra challenge and I didn’t mind much. But today I just decided to begin asking when I don't understand an abbreviation. After all I wasn't born English and I have no obligation to understand everything. The English Language is already difficult as it is sometimes and there is no dictionary that I know for abbreviations. I'm also a bit tired to read threads that begins to interest me and abandon the reading because it suddenly turns out too difficult to understand what I'm reading. Doesn't pay the effort. Some abbreviations are easy for us non-English-speaking people to understand both because they became very common (ASAP, BTW, etc) and others are common "part of the game" expressions (TOE, OOB). But some one really needs to think a lot before one gets it, and even then sometimes couldn't be completely sure (does IMO means "In My Opinion"?). Have you English speakers ever consider the implications when you write an abbreviation or you do that on purpose, as a way to try to keep things among yourselves?
I'm just curious...

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans
Post #: 1
- 12/25/2001 5:44:00 PM   
peter hellman

Such an everyday problem you encountered here, Richard. Good you brought it up. I have the same problem with translating those abbreviations every day, some of them I know, some of them I guess, and the rest stays in the void. A military wargamer's wordbook for translating abbreviations would be welcomed. Anyway, MCAAHNY
(Merry Christmans and a Happy New Year)

"If you want to live in peace, you have to prepare for war" - Adolf Ehrnrooth

(in reply to RichardTheFirst)
Post #: 2
- 12/25/2001 5:55:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

quote:

Originally posted by peter:
Such an everyday problem you encountered here, Richard. Good you brought it up. I have the same problem with translating those abbreviations every day, some of them I know, some of them I guess, and the rest stays in the void. A military wargamer's wordbook for translating abbreviations would be welcomed. Anyway, MCAAHNY
(Merry Christmans and a Happy New Year)

Well, since it is Christmas perhaps our american friends can give us a present and start using that a lot less . MCAAHNY to you too.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 3
- 12/25/2001 6:34:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

I just reminded one thing I used to do when playing Bridge at the MSN Gaming Zone. When somebody asks that "Where are u all from" question I used to wait for the others to answer. There was always one or two "PE", "NYC" or "TX" kind of answers. Then it was my turn and I say "LX-PT" Silence. 5 mins elapsed. Then it cames the mandatory question "Alright Richard, where is LX-PT?". Never fails...

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 4
- 12/25/2001 9:03:00 PM   
asgrrr

I sure agree with you, I think it's just silly how much the english speakers use abbreviations, especially as they are generally single letter ones. The german convention for abbreviation is different, for example GeStaPo = Geheime StaatsPolizei. Much less room for misunderstanding. VD, what is that? Vehicle Dust or Veneral Disease?

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

Post #: 5
- 12/25/2001 9:16:00 PM   
Don Doom

quote:

Originally posted by Penetrator:
I sure agree with you, I think it's just silly how much the english speakers use abbreviations, especially as they are generally single letter ones. The german convention for abbreviation is different, for example GeStaPo = Geheime StaatsPolizei. Much less room for misunderstanding. VD, what is that? Vehicle Dust or Veneral Disease?
Vehicle Dust is never abbreviated! so guess what VD means

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

Post #: 6
- 12/25/2001 9:25:00 PM   
richmonder

Well, I never thought about this issue from that angle. I will admit to being irritated by the abbreviations myself from time to time. I will try to use them less for the benefit of others.

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 7
- 12/25/2001 10:14:00 PM   
valdor17

If you thinks Americans in general are bad, you should see the American Military. I've sat through two hour briefings that were nothing but abbreviations and acronyms with a few high-speed buzz words thrown-in. Some choice abbreviations/acronyms: Plt; Co; Bn; TF; BN/TF; BCT; METT-T (or is it METT-TC now?); OCOKA; IPB; MOOSE MUSS; MDMP; FCS; TOC; CATK (or, sometimes C/Atk); OPFOR; CG; IG; FLOT; FEBA; BSA; CONUS; OCONUS; APFT; Recon; Intell; etc; etc; Of course, I work in a BSC--Battle Simulation Center with several different simulations: Janus (which is NOT an abbreviation), JCATS (which is) and Firesim. (When they are connected together through DIS they become DBST!) The bad part is--we don't even realize we are doing it. One time our TSR (or is it our CSR now!) was giving a briefing to some visiting school teachers and counselers about what their students would learn if they became field artillerymen. It went something like this: The FO requests a FFE using his FED. The FDC processes the FFE request using either AFATDS or IFSAS and transmit the mission through the BOC to the POC which will assign the misssion to a specific SPLL... After 15 minutes of that, I wasn't even sure what he was talking about--but I'm sure they were impressed by our fully animated Power Point presentation. [Of course, the absolutely WORST abbreviation is British--Coy for Company ]

A66
1st MRB

Post #: 8
- 12/26/2001 12:29:00 AM   
bchapman

Here is a list of some of the Abreviations and Acronyms posted here before:
ROTFL = Roll On The Floor Laughing
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
LOL = Laugh Out Loud or Lot's Of Laughing
LOL = Lot of Luck
IRL: In Real Life
RTFM: Read the fine (or otherwise) manual
SNAFU: Situation normal, all fouled up.
JANFU = Joint Army Navy Foul Up
TUIFU = The Ultimate In Foul Up's
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
AFAIK - as far as I know
BOHICA-Bend Over, Here It Comes Again
DILIGAS-Does It Look Like I Give A S***
WAFWAT-What A F****** Waste Of Time
FIIGMO - (F*** It, I Got My Orders) Usually used around the time of your EAS (End of Active Service) and not the guy in the posts.
FAP - Fleet Assistance Program (Getting assigned as an MP, range coach, etc)
TAD - Temporary Additional Duty
BC - Battalion Commander
UA - Unauthorized Abscence (USMC version of AWOL)
UDP - Unit Deployment Program (6 month overseas tour)
FNG - F***ing New Guy
AO - Area of Operations
BIOYA - Blow It Out Your A**
FMF - Fleet Marine Forces
MEB - Marine Expeditionary Brigade
MEU(SOC) - Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable)
MEF - Marine Expeditionary Force
BAS - Battalion Aid Station
FAC - Forward Air Controller
STA Platoon - Surveillance and Target Acquisition Platoon (Battalion Sniper Teams)
ANGLICO - Air/Naval Gunnery LIason COmpany
SRIG - Special Reconnaisance/Intelligence Group
CIT - Counter Intelligence Team
FDC - Fire Direction Center (For plotting arty)
SAW - Squad Automatic Weapon
ATG - Anti-Tank Gun
ATGM - Anti-Tank Guided Missile
LAAW - Light Anti-Armor Weapon
SMEAC - (aka the 5 Paragraph Order) Situation, Mission, Equipment, Admin/logostics, Command/signals (This was used when writing warning orders in preparation for an operation.)
BAMCIS - (Used when operation planning) Begin planning, Arrange recon, Make recon, Continue planning, Implement, Supervise
BST/EST Book - (aka the Green Monster) The Marine Corps Battle Skills Training/Essential Subject Training manual. (Everyone got one and most lost them when they could manage)
and finally
FUBAR!!!
Fu**ed up beyond all reallity!!(or recognition)
AFV = Armored Fighting Vehicle
POW or PW = Prisoner of War
MIA = Missing In Action
SATCOM = Satallite communication
R&R = Rest & Relaxation - or Recuperation
VIP = Very Important Person
KP = Kitchen Patrol
MOOSE MUSS is of course referring to the principles of war:
Maneuver
Objective
Offensive
Suprise
Economy of force
Mass
Unity of Command
Simplicity
Security
MMFD - Miles and Miles of "Fine" Desert. (Used by the RAF in the mideast, when asked for their position.)
REMF - Rear Echelon Mother f*****. Usually to do with support troops - but many use it for anybody farther back from the fighting than they are.
C3CM = Command and Control CounterMeasures, those actions taken to deny your opponent the abilty to C&C his forces. Your options to do so are to deceive, deny, disrupt or destroy his forces.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

Post #: 9
- 12/26/2001 2:13:00 AM   
troopie

Here a few I use: OG/OA- Operasionale Gebied/Operational Area
Romeo Mike Team- Reaction Force (Reaksiemag)
LMG- Light Machine gun
C3I- Command, Control, Communication, Intelligence
Recce- Reconnaissance
UDI-Unilateral Declaration of Independence (Also means a desertion)
RTO- Radiotelephone operator
FO- Forward Observer.
Para(s)-Paratrooper(s)
K-Car- Killer Car (Originally an Alouette III but now any helicopter gunship)
terr(s)- Terrorist(s)
Charlie Tango(s) or CT-Communist Terrorists.
Oscar Tango(s)- Our Terrorists
Essandess- Short and surgical, means a long, hard, bloody fight.
BG- Bloody(blerrie) Good
NBG-No Bloody(Blerrie) Good
ABC-Atomic, Biological, Chemical
troopie

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 10
- 12/26/2001 4:11:00 AM   
asgrrr

quote:

Originally posted by Valdor:

After 15 minutes of that, I wasn't even sure what he was talking about--but I'm sure they were impressed by our fully animated Power Point presentation.

Pffft... powerpoint and abbreviations. No wonder the subject got lost.
Anyway, excessive abbreviation is a bad habit, like smoking or picking your nose in public. If you don't think the vast majority of the audience understands an abbreviation, don't use it. Perhaps this comes down to two things: Laziness and/or wanting to seem superior by flinging unfamiliar phrases.

Never hate your enemy.

Post #: 11
- 12/26/2001 6:11:00 AM   
richmonder

Having grown up with a father who was a rather high-level NSA exec (civilian), I can tell you one thing - it is a direct result of the amount of geeks and social introverts employed by governments (not that we have any of those here, folks!). Oh yeah, a few more things. It's also borne from: 1) Need for expediency 2) Need for secrecy (relatively speaking) 3) Absolute lack of social manners in the company of those not in the know.

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 12
- 12/26/2001 9:20:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Not being an Englishman I always admired one character from a movie: Professor Higgins from "My Fair Lady". Of course I'm not that radical but the man had a point: our language is a precious gift from our ancestors and it is our responsibility to cherish that gift. I try to do that with my language, which is a complex, rich, marvellous one. Everybody should do the same. Another thing it is for me evident: whenever you address a foreign person you act in a small scale like an ambassador from your country. I don't think you Americans would like the rest of the world to think you are a lazy, or arrogant, or too self-centred people. I sure don't think that way, but sometimes that is the image you pass outside.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 13
- 12/26/2001 7:29:00 PM   
pax27

This was truly a great thread for people that spend some time online. It´s bad enough when americans use abbrevations, but when my swedish friends starts to use 'em when chatting, it get´s really confusing. Now I have two languages of abbrevations to keep up with.
One time a friend wrote BRB to me while ICQ chatting, and I just kept writing, wondering why he didn´t respond. Little did I know that he ment he was going to Be Right Back!
Or the answers I got on a post on this forum, someone writing something, staring it with IIRC and later: IMHO. OK, I got it eventually, but sience IRC is a different means of chatting (or whatever), I started to think this guy wanted to take the discussion over/with mIRC (some chat program or something that I don´t use)
Everyday drama!
Try seeing it from my POV (Point Of View)

Post #: 14
- 12/26/2001 8:59:00 PM   
richmonder

Well, this board is a unique experience on a big scale for many of us. SPWaW is a game that has brought together enthusiasts of many different nations into one forum. This type of communication problem is quite understandable. So it's something we have to learn to work around. I can't say I've ever been in a forum (or anywhere else) that has people from so many nations speaking about a subject. On the other hand (OTOH), we do become accustomed to speaking to same-language peoples in a particular style or vein, and communication styles differ around the globe. So while general abbreviations and acronyms may be acceptable for the average American, apparently it is a little too much to ask most non-Americans to put up with or use. I can respect that. Reason being I respect the fact that we speak in English in this forum for the most part and you (non-Americans) are putting forth the energy to try to communicate in that language. I'd rather we not get into the 'why Americans are like this' because that leads into the 'why Germans are like that' or 'why Hispanics are like this' or whatever. Let's let that go for this thread. I understand the social interest because I have it also, but it could become a defensive, explosive thread. Better to do that type of inquiry in an email, I'd think. But the masses shall do what the masses shall do.

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 15
- 12/26/2001 11:44:00 PM   
richmonder

Pax27 - LOL!! (everyone needs to learn that one) I remember the first time I saw BRB in a chat room. I had been online with an online baseball simulation league and the owner (controller) of the group wrote out "BRB". I said "OK" and headed off to the bathroom, too! HAHAHAHAHA

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 16
- 12/27/2001 12:50:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I can sympathise with people that hate abbreviations. I hate them as well. Now of course its an army tradition to use goofy letter intensive word things, and its not likely going away. My main beef is with net jargon. I hate people that use letter combos that should be properly written out. its an indication of the person either being lazy or in just to damn big a hurry. I personally think its both myself. Lazy because technology is about getting something done the easiest way possible. Or its about to much of a hurry as evidenced by the proliferation of people seeking faster and faster computers. The computer is never fast enough it seems. I chat all the time on icq myself. Most of the day in fact. And I write each and every word out in full to the best of my vocabulary. I never skimp and use cute letter or number words.
And I still get people saying I send messages to fast heheh. One thing I can say in favour of properly writing out a word, is it doesnt lead to confused non fluent english speaking persons getting the wrong message. And I know only to well what happens when fluency is a barrier. So I would advocate posts using proper english when written as english simply so that our less than fluent persons dont lose out.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 17
- 12/27/2001 1:09:00 AM   
Tombstone

Much of these abbreviations such as LOL, LMAO, BRB, etc. are more a product of the internet than anything english or american. They come out a need to optimize typing since a great deal of real-time communication occurs over the internet via the keyboard. The military use of acronyms is another issue altogether, and it is totally out of control. It's madness to read text with more acronyms than words (sans articles, and conjugations of to be). Tomo

Post #: 18
- 12/27/2001 1:24:00 AM   
fat slob

quote:

Originally posted by Tombstone:
Much of these abbreviations such as LOL, LMAO, BRB, etc. are more a product of the internet than anything english or american. They come out a need to optimize typing since a great deal of real-time communication occurs over the internet via the keyboard...
Tomo

EXACTLY!
It's not something us English speakers are doing to purposely withhold something or make us feel superior to non-English speakers as someone suggested in an earlier post. (ridiculous!) But English is an international language anymore.
And like it or not, this web site and many others are made by people to whom English is the native language!
The people on this forum did not invent these acronyms.
Like me, we pick them up after being exposed to them on many different forums and websites.
It's part and parcel of using the Internet, like it or not.
So lay off of the American bashing!

Post #: 19
- 12/27/2001 2:31:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

I will use an expression I heard when I was in a business travel in England. "We are in a violent agreement"

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 20
- 12/27/2001 4:14:00 AM   
asgrrr

quote:

Originally posted by fat slob:
Like me, we pick them up after being exposed to them on many different forums and websites.
It's part and parcel of using the Internet, like it or not.
So lay off of the American bashing!

Overusing abbreviations is simply bad manners, and reflects poorly on the individual, american or not. It is a temptation to resist. If a group or nationality has more difficulty resisting it than others, it reflects badly on that group or nationality.
And the little joke about VD... that one is not mine, I remember it from an article on Advanced Squad Leader. The author used VD for vehicle dust, apparently from the game's rulebook.

Never hate your enemy.

Post #: 21
- 12/27/2001 4:21:00 AM   
richmonder

To some degree I agree, Asgeir. However, it also runs into the taboo of national stereotyping. As far as I know, the United States is a country of almost 300 million people, and far more culturally diversified than ANY country on the face of the earth by virtue of massive immigration. To be able to stereotype an entire nation, and this one in particular, is a rather difficult task. But I understand your point in a relative sense. [ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: richmonder ]

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 22
- 12/27/2001 4:46:00 AM   
troopie

The military acronyms are an attempt to substitute one word for a sentence. They are ment as time savers. But we are not in a hurry here and we should spell out what we mean. Most of the internet abbreviations, LMAO, LOL, are well understood. But we should not use IMHO the absurdities like j00z l33t d00Ds. Whatever in H**l that meant.
Let us say what we mean. troopie

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 23
- 12/27/2001 5:06:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Unfortunately when we talk averages we almost always end in stereotyping and that is always unfair. But nobody here is condemning the Americans (at least I'm not): there are things a lot worst in the world than abbreviating. I've seen from the posts that you are sensitive to the issue (except some that blame it on the internet eheheh) and I can appreciate it, as some habits are difficult to change. The majority of the reactions prove you want to make an effort so that all the others and I can understand you better. That is good enough for me. My thanks. [ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: RichardTheFirst ]

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 24
- 12/27/2001 7:16:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Recently it occurred to me that a certain aspect of my own self was being treated poorly. I had long downplayed it till finally it was no longer funny.
I had in fact been quite commonly acting "intentionally stupid" to make my friends less intimidated by the way I spoke. But eventually all things wear thin. While my one friend Mike is ok, because that is his personality, I found the phrase "blah blah blah, insert big word here" had lost its humour with me. Personally, I am proud of the command I possess of my language. I wear it like a badge of accomplishment. To me acronyms are not about anything other than dummying down a persons literacy level.
That is why I am somewhat precise in what I type (if anyone is curious). I have recently decided (not specifically here on the forum but in my own life actually), to just make my friends peers and persons I interact with, accept that in most cases, its not my problem if they can not understand me clearly. I only cut slack for those of non english speaking origins. Really annoys me when I can speak with Turks and Japanese persons easier than my local born comrades. I really hate those silly net based micro words. They are the tools of mainly lazy english speaking persons. Heck I enjoy telling a person it is trinitrotoluene instead of TNT. I prefer cyanoacrylate instead of crazy glue. And my favourite antidisestablishmentarianism. Words are a great deal more cool than dumb random letter blotches in posts. I now return you to something almost entirely likely more interesting eh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 25
- 12/27/2001 11:30:00 AM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by RichardTheFirst:
It always amused me and amased me the fact that Americans and British people use abbreviations so much. You must be the ones who use this the most in the entire world . It is not a critic, just a fact. I always regarded it as an extra challenge and I didn’t mind much. But today I just decided to begin asking when I don't understand an abbreviation. After all I wasn't born English and I have no obligation to understand everything. The English Language is already difficult as it is sometimes and there is no dictionary that I know for abbreviations. I'm also a bit tired to read threads that begins to interest me and abandon the reading because it suddenly turns out too difficult to understand what I'm reading. Doesn't pay the effort. Some abbreviations are easy for us non-English-speaking people to understand both because they became very common (ASAP, BTW, etc) and others are common "part of the game" expressions (TOE, OOB). But some one really needs to think a lot before one gets it, and even then sometimes couldn't be completely sure (does IMO means "In My Opinion"?). Have you English speakers ever consider the implications when you write an abbreviation or you do that on purpose, as a way to try to keep things among yourselves?
I'm just curious...

I have dubed this as 'txt speech' it's because we read what we write and using abbreviations is easier than writing out a whole sentence on your txt cell phone, or pager. It just means we're efficent (lazy) in our speech.

IMHO (In my humble opinion) see we can even be gracious in our 'txt speech'
IIRC (If I remember correctly) this is for us old phokes used as a disclamer.
and the ever popular LSMFT

Post #: 26
- 12/28/2001 3:59:00 AM   
pax27

Someone´s got a sensitive ego if this thread can be described as "American bashing". I guess it was a bit of a joke, but it´s so hard to tell when people don´t use smileys, like to clarify. That´s another thing the web culture has forced on us all, getting our feelings and points through by using a few commas and parenthesis.
I realise the need for abbrevasions and smileys as well, but I can´t say that we use as many abbrevations in Sweden as you guys do in the US. At least not with a straight face (Now you now I was kidding a little when I used a smiley )
On the other hand, the English language contains about 1,000,000 words, and the Swedish about 100,000. Maybe that goes for abbrevations as well.
When I chat I use a few abbrevations, but I hope that no one writes as sloppy IRL as when they chat.
This thread kind of blew up, but you now, sometimes things just gett FUBAR!

Post #: 27
- 12/28/2001 1:47:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

quote:

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

I only cut slack for those of non english speaking origins. Really annoys me when I can speak with Turks and Japanese persons easier than my local born comrades.

That phrase just gave me an idea: why don't we foreigners give an award for the most comprehensive yet interesting english speaker at this forum? My vote goes to Wild Bill.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 28
- 12/28/2001 8:50:00 PM   
richmonder

I don't know if the 'American bashing' was a response to my input, but if so I wasn't doing any American defense. More a point of warding off any social stereotyping - I am not into that. It's funny how threads develop here and which ones get the attention. Interesting social study, I would think.

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 29
- 12/29/2001 5:36:00 AM   
pax27

quote:

I don't know if the 'American bashing' was a response to my input, but if so I wasn't doing any American defense. More a point of warding off any social stereotyping - I am not into that.
It's funny how threads develop here and which ones get the attention. Interesting social study, I would think.

I guess it was, I was just so annoyed when someone turned this thread political that I didn´t check whoever that was.
But seriosly richmonder, you´re taking this Political Correctness a bit too far!
I think that it´s quit obvious that there are some differences between cultures, countries and continents.
Based on empirical studies I´ve found that Americans are more sensitive when it comes to their coulture and country. OK, that´s kind of a lame joke, but it does bare some truth to it.
Swedes have their bad/strange manners if one dare to generalize. We drink quite a bit of strong alchole, we´re not very patriotic, we are a very cell-phone dependent people and so one.
What is my point with this, am I some kind of doo-gooder or am I just a moron? IDKYFIO (I Don´t Know, You Figure It Out )

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The use of abreviations :) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI