Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What is WitP to you?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: What is WitP to you? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/21/2004 4:11:42 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

It has come to my attention after frequenting these forums for over a year, both UV and WitP, that the scale of these games draws people like us to them for very different reasons. I'm interested, and I'm sure everyone else is too, in finding out: What is WitP/UV to you?

Feel free to be as descriptive and specific as you like. Is it a WWII game simulating the Allied experience? Is it a chance to change history as the Japanese? Do you play it for the large surface actions or the Air war? Are you Navy-centric? Army-centric? Air-corps-centric?

As for myself, I enjoy all aspects of the game in phases. If I had to narrow it down to one thing though, it would be the Air War. I enjoy both sides, but I favor the Japanese as the underdog.

I am really looking forward to your responses.

WWII in the Pacific was all about production and logistics. Hard to find a game that ever gave much justice to that aspect. You don't just fight battles in this game. Every assault and every defense has to be planned out in great detail and executed just right. Just like in the real thing. Any screw up, even minor ones, can be disasterous. No other game simulates that well at all.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 31
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/21/2004 6:57:37 PM   
olivier_slith

I have been interested in the Pacific war since the time since Grisby's Guadalcanal Campaign. PAcWar was a dream come true. Witp is like a miracle. Next step: a world wide simulation of the war using these details.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 32
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/21/2004 7:02:20 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Next step: a world wide simulation of the war using these details.

God, I hope not! WitP is barely at the sanity level. Add the rest into the mix and you will simply snap.

(in reply to olivier_slith)
Post #: 33
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/21/2004 7:19:37 PM   
Dukemourn

For me it's the large scope, the small details, and the history it's all based on.

I've always wished whatever wargame I played had more in it.
WitP looks like it's exactly what I've been waiting for.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 34
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/21/2004 7:32:01 PM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

Basically

A) The ability to finally play "Pacific War"
B) Digging myself into some PacWar books, then play, then read some other books.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 35
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/21/2004 7:45:28 PM   
ltfightr

Dhennin wrote quote"Next step: a world wide simulation of the war using these details.

This game is on the Divisional level for all theaters we want it at a regimental or how about batallion level??

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 36
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/21/2004 7:57:11 PM   
byron13

quote:

What is WitP/UV to you?

It's a surrogate for a girlfriend and social life.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 37
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/22/2004 4:28:39 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

quote:

What is WitP/UV to you?

And you can shut it off when you like.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 38
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/22/2004 6:12:16 PM   
Damien Thorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

quote:

What is WitP/UV to you?

Wow, that hit too close to reality.

Actually, even more embarrasing is that I have a girlfriend but I'll probably prefer WitP (at least for awhile).

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 39
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/22/2004 6:18:44 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

And you can shut it off when you like.

No you can't, it's an addiction far worse then any other

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 40
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 8:07:02 AM   
masterguns

1) an obsessio n with my best friend, who has 2 copies of WITP (SPI) so we can PBM
2) a big mystery: how does the computer game relate to SPI's WITP?

is it the mechanized version?
a complete re-do?
an expansion?
(Heaven forbid - I like the concept of Monster games, but it took 3 of us several weeks to play Battle of the Bulge, and 8-10 of us to play NextWar properly, and I dread the thought of Admiral Nimitz standing by the dock with a clipboard checking off the contents of each and every supply ship)

If you think the above is a joke, some of you may remember SPI's near-the-end MonsterGame on North Africa, where Monty (or a staff member) had to decide what to put on EACH truck of EACH supply convoy.... Reputed to take 2000+ manhrs; I never met anyone who even punched out the counters.

I just discovered Matrix; recovering from the shock at the SSI meltdodwn.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 41
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 8:15:17 AM   
Bulldog61

I strongly recomend a good LCD Monitor so that after about 30 straigh hours you eyeballs don't feel like they are burning out of there sockets!

You can run but you'll die tired!

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 42
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 8:43:40 AM   
cpt_Venomous

WitP to me is more than Pto1 and 2 and PacWar and UV put together (pretty strong words)

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 43
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 8:53:17 AM   
52nd Lowland

All of the above

(in reply to cpt_Venomous)
Post #: 44
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 10:47:12 AM   
Delphinium

A threat to my sanity & well being ?

(in reply to 52nd Lowland)
Post #: 45
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 11:35:38 AM   
Didz

I used to play PACWAR and really liked the feeling that I actually had control of everything that happened in that theatre of operations ad could try out any idea I liked to change the outcome. Rescuing the British Army from Singapore was one of my favourite attempted variations I remember. (damned near impossible as I recall) But one could avoid the sinking of the Prince of Wales.

The only thing that let the game down at that time was the clunky interface. I'm hoping WiTP will give me all the same playability with a proper windiws interface. If it does I'll be happy.

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Wallymanowar)
Post #: 46
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 2:37:55 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: masterguns

1) an obsessio n with my best friend, who has 2 copies of WITP (SPI) so we can PBM
2) a big mystery: how does the computer game relate to SPI's WITP?

is it the mechanized version?
a complete re-do?
an expansion?
(Heaven forbid - I like the concept of Monster games, but it took 3 of us several weeks to play Battle of the Bulge, and 8-10 of us to play NextWar properly, and I dread the thought of Admiral Nimitz standing by the dock with a clipboard checking off the contents of each and every supply ship)

If you think the above is a joke, some of you may remember SPI's near-the-end MonsterGame on North Africa, where Monty (or a staff member) had to decide what to put on EACH truck of EACH supply convoy.... Reputed to take 2000+ manhrs; I never met anyone who even punched out the counters.

I just discovered Matrix; recovering from the shock at the SSI meltdodwn.

My gaming buddy and I played SPIs Campaign for North Africa a couple of times, once in maybe 83-84, and again in 94-95. Great game, lots of fun. Neither time did we make it to where DAK comes on; the first time he (Italians) romped me, the second time I (Commonwealth) romped him.

I think SPIs WitP is probably this game's great granddaddy. There will certainly be a family resemblance, but the young guy is definitely of the 21st century....

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to masterguns)
Post #: 47
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 3:02:10 PM   
RevRick

I've been a naval history nut for over 40 years. Got into games over 30 years ago. Bought SPI War in the Pacific 25 years ago (approx.) and spent many hours staring at the thing set up in a spare room (Called The War Room) in our basement in South Florida. Only found one person who would be willing to put in the time to begin to play the monster, and I still have it in a box. Found PacWar in 1993 while in Seminary, and have been waiting for an upgrade ever since I began to have the Mariannas and Luzon, Mindanao, and Leyte secured at the beginning of 1944 gametime. Of course, in PW you didn't have to worry much about anything except a ship sinking - nothing about refits, yard periods, all ships got the same upgrades in AA at the same time, and they could steam at flank speed for three years. (Tell me to remember this statement when I {deleted technical sailor's term - DTST for short - as in "What the DTST are you doing!?!?!"} about a ship not being able to answer the call when I need it.)

Other than that, since I can't drink, don't smoke, am too poor to gamble, and can't afford a fast car or , well, you know, either financially or professionally, this gives me an excellent opportunity to replace banging head against wall to relieve some tension. "Sink You Bloody DTST!!" Can't say that in the parish.

< Message edited by RevRick -- 6/30/2004 1:03:19 PM >

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 48
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 3:17:13 PM   
Luskan

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

It's strange that no one has said

"Chance to give Raver a good kicking."

I guess I must be the weird one...

Regards,
IronDuke

Indeed not just raver. I look forward to bitch slapping dpstafford, the elf, doomed, Raver and most of the other testers at some stage. Probably crocky and a cunuck or two just for variety.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to IronDuke_slith)
Post #: 49
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 5:11:52 PM   
kaleun

quote:

Other than that, since I can't drink, don't smoke, am too poor to gamble, and can't afford a fast car or , well, you know, either financially or professionally, this gives me an excellent opportunity to replace banging head against wall to relieve some tension. "Sink You Bloody DTST!!" Can't say that in the parish

Pity you aren't Catholic, then you could drink. Not get married, but drinking is OK.
BTW the vow is celibacy not chastity

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 50
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 5:12:21 PM   
kaleun

Nice to see the banana back; I think it misses the girlfriend though

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 51
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 5:15:13 PM   
Jonny_B

quote:

It has come to my attention after frequenting these forums for over a year, both UV and WitP, that the scale of these games draws people like us to them for very different reasons. I'm interested, and I'm sure everyone else is too, in finding out: What is WitP/UV to you?

Feel free to be as descriptive and specific as you like. Is it a WWII game simulating the Allied experience? Is it a chance to change history as the Japanese? Do you play it for the large surface actions or the Air war? Are you Navy-centric? Army-centric? Air-corps-centric?

As for myself, I enjoy all aspects of the game in phases. If I had to narrow it down to one thing though, it would be the Air War. I enjoy both sides, but I favor the Japanese as the underdog.

I am really looking forward to your responses.

A reason to dump my mean girlfriend!

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 52
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 5:18:19 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Nice to see the banana back; I think it misses the girlfriend though

I sent Banana a new girlfriend but it seems that it might get the banana banned to be seen in public with her.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 53
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 5:29:29 PM   
52nd Lowland

quote:

ORIGINAL: Delphinium

A threat to my sanity & well being ?

You better believe it..and the rest I guess IMHO WitP is the wargame that i have hoped woukl be made for the PC for years now.The chance to take absolute (well nearly) control of an entire theater of operation and decide for yourself the operational strategies and plans for the war as well as the scale and breadth of the Pacific War means this would be a winner for me.

(in reply to Delphinium)
Post #: 54
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 5:50:41 PM   
SirRodneyOfGout

USN? That brings back memories. Empty Jap carriers sitting around, waiting for aircrews to dribble in. US CVs rusting away on the bottom of the ocean. A fun game, but hard to believe now that you could play anything without FOW. Easy to avoid a Midway if you see it coming.

Love history, and alt history. I play games just to see what happens. Check out Luskan and RaverDave's AAR for the PH II battle. Now thats what WiTP means...

"Consult the book of armaments!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

(in reply to Wallymanowar)
Post #: 55
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 11:19:36 PM   
msaario

Perhaps a reason to come back to the forum after a year's absence?

Perhaps a reason to take a break from Call of Duty multiplayer I have been consuming almost nightly since last December?

Perhaps an excuse to stay awake with the new baby in the night?

--Mikko

(in reply to SirRodneyOfGout)
Post #: 56
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 11:33:00 PM   
kaleun

An ulcer if IT doesn't arrive soon

Sun Tzu

(in reply to msaario)
Post #: 57
RE: What is WitP to you? - 6/30/2004 11:36:08 PM   
denisonh

How many PBEMs are you planning to start Luskan?

Looking to be the official WitP PBEM Ho?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Luskan

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronDuke

It's strange that no one has said

"Chance to give Raver a good kicking."

I guess I must be the weird one...

Regards,
IronDuke

Indeed not just raver. I look forward to bitch slapping dpstafford, the elf, doomed, Raver and most of the other testers at some stage. Probably crocky and a cunuck or two just for variety.

quote:

Indeed not just raver. I look forward to bitch slapping dpstafford, the elf, doomed, Raver and most of the other testers at some stage.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: What is WitP to you? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI