Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Question about battle ending before designated amount of turns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> A Question about battle ending before designated amount of turns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Question about battle ending before designated amount... - 6/29/2004 1:50:30 PM   
Melvin

There's something I've been wondering for a while. I hope someone could clarify it for me a bit.

I was playing Heroes of the Motherland mission 2. My tactic was to make a perimeter of at-guns and infantry to welcome the germans. I thought after I'd destroyed some enemy tanks I'd counter attack with my own tank force from their flank.

However, what really happened was: I'd destroyed a bit more than one third of the enemy vehicles and was ready to counter attack when the game suddenly ended a draw. The turn was 8/15. The enemys force morale broke, but I had only one of the four victory hexes.

So how come it ended? I know the game is supposed to end when the enemy's force morale is broken but I thought you also had to have all the victory hexes. It was a bit annoying because I thought I could've taken the rest of the flags by counter attacking the remaining turns (and thus getting a better score).

//Melvin
Post #: 1
RE: A Question about battle ending before designated am... - 6/29/2004 2:39:08 PM   
Resisti

were the other three VHs neutral?
I think the AI must owe at least one, to avoid the "sudden death" syndrome.
This is why some designers now place a VH, with very low value, in AI's hands and in a place that is very difficult for the human player to reach.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Melvin)
Post #: 2
RE: A Question about battle ending before designated am... - 6/29/2004 5:05:41 PM   
Melvin

The AI had the other three VH's.

//Melvin

(in reply to Melvin)
Post #: 3
RE: A Question about battle ending before designated am... - 6/29/2004 5:35:29 PM   
Jim1954

Did this apply?

• The “Force Broken” status has been revised. IF 2/3 of your units are dead, routed, or
reduced to 50% strength or less, their force morale can be “broken”. This also requires
the AO to fail a morale check (Die(120> morale). Any turn in which theses conditions
apply and the AO fails this check, and one side has the preponderance of victory hexes,
the game can end before the allotted. Scenario designers can mitigate this by giving the
A0 120 morale and the player protecting it. In addition to the possible early end of the
game, he effect of Force Morale breaking is to add suppression to every unit in the force
at the end of each turn.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Melvin)
Post #: 4
RE: A Question about battle ending before designated am... - 6/30/2004 9:43:36 AM   
Melvin

I think that it applied otherwise except for the victory hexes. The enemy had less than half of it's units destroyed but many were routed.

The thing that puzzles me is the victory hexes -condition. It didn't apply. I had one of four hexes and the AI had the rest.

Is it possible that the campaign author made some special rules?

//Melvin

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 5
RE: A Question about battle ending before designated am... - 6/30/2004 2:54:14 PM   
Resisti

quote:

ORIGINAL: Melvin

Is it possible that the campaign author made some special rules?

//Melvin

I don't think so.

Do you remember if there were any EXIT victory hexes? I saw some scens abruptedly ending, when such type of victory hexes are present on map...

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Melvin)
Post #: 6
RE: A Question about battle ending before designated am... - 6/30/2004 3:38:04 PM   
Jim1954

I remember something from somewhere that said if you inflicted a disproportionate amount of damage (huge) on your opponent in a very short period of time, you might break the enemy's morale.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 7
RE: A Question about battle ending before designated am... - 6/30/2004 4:28:12 PM   
Melvin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Resisti

Do you remember if there were any EXIT victory hexes? I saw some scens abruptedly ending, when such type of victory hexes are present on map...

What are those? I'm not sure but I think they were all normal ones. They were four single flags (not groups of 4-5 flags) scattered accross the map.

Maybe it's possible that the v. 8.01 is messing it somehow. I mean isn't that an older campaign?

//Melvin

(in reply to Melvin)
Post #: 8
RE: A Question about battle ending before designated am... - 6/30/2004 5:43:20 PM   
Voriax

Exit hexes give points for each unit that exit map via such hex. You can identify them by hovering the cursor over the flag and checking the info. Afaik exit hex type scenarios never end prematurely as exit hexes do not change ownership, therefore there is always one or more hexes under enemy control.

I have a very, very vague feeling that it is possible that the AI decides that the battle is 'hopeless' even though it has some victory hexes. Kinda like it calculates that it is impossible to gain any further VH's. This may just be my imagination so don't take it as a gospel

Or, it just may be a bug related to an old campaign. Or just a random, unexplainable bug. Those happen, now and then.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Melvin)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> A Question about battle ending before designated amount of turns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI