Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why "Wolverine" and why not "McClelan" or some other general?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Why "Wolverine" and why not "McClelan" or some other general? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why "Wolverine" and why not "McClelan&qu... - 12/29/2001 1:48:00 AM   
MarkFroio

As far as I can tell, and I may be wrong, all the US tanks and TDs were named after American generals (Sherman, Stuart, Chafee, etc.) Does anyone know how the M10 TD got the name nick-name Wolverine? Just curious. [ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: Max VonLoben ]

Post #: 1
- 12/29/2001 3:13:00 AM   
Tombstone

Maybe cause they're tank destroyers... Hellcat, Wolverine... er Jackson. Sounds pretty inconsistent. Tomo

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 2
- 12/29/2001 3:23:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Tombstone:
Maybe cause they're tank destroyers... Hellcat, Wolverine... er Jackson. Sounds pretty inconsistent. Tomo
Those who fought Stonewall Jackson might have compared his fighting style to a wolverine. Sounds like a consistant progression of names to me. Wasn't it the British that applied the wolverine nickname?
thanks, John.

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 3
- 12/29/2001 3:47:00 AM   
brianleeprice

quote:

Consistency from the US - the nation that brought forth Coca Cola, McDonalds, and drive thru health food stores? Surely you jest! However I think the Wolverine name *might* have come from earlier in US military history - I vaguely remember that name in connection with some outfit in early american history - but then again I vaguely remember lots of things that turn out to be rubbish, lol. Sounds like a fun research topic for someone. Almost clueless,
Brian

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 4
- 12/29/2001 8:14:00 AM   
richmonder

good one, good one. we should have a class entitled "Vague History 101". Everyone expounds upon history as they seem to remember it - no one is ever really wrong. Everyone gets A's !!

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 5
- 12/29/2001 3:57:00 PM   
Halgary

Quote from a book called "Tanks of WW2" (Steve Crawford, 2000) "The Gun Motor Carriage M10 continued in service until the end of the war, but by then had become obsolete. A few entered British service, being designated '3in SP Wolverine'" So, apparently the name "Wolverine" was invented by the british.

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 6
- 12/29/2001 4:04:00 PM   
Tombstone

What about M18 Hellcat then?? Tomo

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 7
- 12/29/2001 4:43:00 PM   
Steve Wilcox

Howdy, while sticking with the vague history theme, my vague understanding is that the TD names were nicknames, not official ones like for tanks. Could be wrong, though. :-)

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 8
- 12/29/2001 8:18:00 PM   
Halgary

quote:

What about M18 Hellcat then?? Tomo
Quote from a book called "Artillery of WW2" (Chris Chant, 2001): "Standardized in February 1944, the five-man 76mm Gun Motor Carriage M18, which gained the nickname Hellcat in service, was one of the most successful tank destroyers to see operational service in WW2" So it would indeed seem that tanks were seen as complete units and were named, but TDs were seen merely as AT-guns with an engine attached. ...or simply some vehicles were named and others were not. Maybe there's nothing more to it?

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 9
- 12/30/2001 12:56:00 PM   
Stuart Millis

The Canadians name their vehicles after animals. I wouldn't be surprised if that British Army name was really a Canadian Army name.
True, the British also did that, for example Ferret, Staghound, Firefly, Scorpion, Terrapin, etc but I doubt they would have thought of the wolverine. Do wolverines still live in UK? Other Canuck animals include, Grizzly, Skink, Otter, Ram, Badger, and more lately Cougar, Lynx and Coyote.

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 10
- 12/31/2001 8:08:00 AM   
panda124c

The British, who are very fond of naming things, calling their version of the M10 Tank Destroyer mounting the 17 lb gun the Achillies, go figure. Even more odd the US called the M3 a Grant after U.S. but the British called it the Lee after Robert E., Then there is the whole thing about the Stuart and the Honey. Aircraft name as just as bad. Do you know that a Mallard is a F3F Wildcat.

(in reply to MarkFroio)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Why "Wolverine" and why not "McClelan" or some other general? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI