Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Draw?!?!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Draw?!?! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Draw?!?! - 12/30/2001 4:55:00 PM   
Big T

Maybe it's just the early hour of the morning and my eyes are deciving me, but I just finished the UTAH Beach Scen in the Long Road campaign with the following casualities:
ME Germans
268 men 422 men
1 ARTY 3 ARTY
2 Soft Veh. 9 Soft Veh.
5 APC's 4 APC's
6 AFV's 39!!! AFV's
TOTAL Points = 12,325 to 4,306 And after all that I only got a DRAW??!!
I was thinking I'd get at least a Minor Victory. I held all the Vic. Hexes, althought I did get the last one on the last turn. Did i just do that bad? I know that i'm still a novice player, but too me those numbers look good!? Heh, maybe it's just a sign that I should break down and order a MC or 2. (Although, I had wanted to finish the Long road campign as a primer, but not if it's going to be THIS insane.) Sigh....i'm going to bed.

-T
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later."(Douglas Adams)
Post #: 1
- 12/30/2001 6:51:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Big T...a couple of points. Don't let the game tell you always how you did. I've never put stock in the game's evaluation of my skills. From the score you've given you did very well. Remember that the system is based on odds and does not reflect well higher scores. Your final score is just a few points short of a 3 to 1 advantage. It must be 3 to 1 or higher to get a minor victory. 6 to 1 or higher for a major. We both know you kicked the German's butt. What does the scorekeeper know anyway. As designer of that scenario I now declare you undisputed victor at Utah Beach. Let's hear it for the man! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Big T)
Post #: 2
- 12/30/2001 9:09:00 PM   
Warrior

I always look at the number of casualties on each side, too.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Big T)
Post #: 3
- 12/31/2001 2:04:00 AM   
achappelle

the whole victory ratio thing is somewhat out of skew in a lot of cases. especially when the vic hexes are the "per-turn" variety and the defender is sitting behind a wall of mines. i agree with the other comments, if you wiped out your opposition and hold all objectives, you win.

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

(in reply to Big T)
Post #: 4
- 12/31/2001 2:42:00 AM   
Redleg

I try to ignore the outcome reported in the game and look only at what my personal goals were when I began to play the scenario. I quite often play a pbem or scenario using my own set of objectives/goals and ignore certain of the victory hexes. If one is playing a campaign, my system does not work since the scoring thing determines what happens next in the campaign.

(in reply to Big T)
Post #: 5
- 12/31/2001 6:19:00 AM   
fat slob

quote:

Originally posted by Big T:
TOTAL Points = 12,325 to 4,306 And after all that I only got a DRAW??!!
I was thinking I'd get at least a Minor Victory. I held all the Vic. Hexes, althought I did get the last one on the last turn. .

Yep, get used to it.
I'm finding the same problem in almost every scenario I play, whether against the AI or PBEM.
It's very frustrating, isn't it?
Unfortunately, the victory hexes don't seem to be worth enough points.
Like you, I'm finding that even if I totally destroyed the enemy and captured all victory flags, I only get draws!!
I just finished a game by email, where both my opponent and myself agreed that it seemed like a victory for me but ended in a draw.
IMO, it's a huge blemish on an otherwise perfect game.

(in reply to Big T)
Post #: 6
- 12/31/2001 6:56:00 AM   
Redleg

Too bad the game doesn't just report the raw score and let people figure out for themselves who won. If certain of the v-hexes count too much, then it is possible to win by playing poorly.... scenario-wise, that is. Or, you can beat heck outta the AI and still not win. A real dilemma.

(in reply to Big T)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A Draw?!?! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI