Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the manual right or wrong???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the manual right or wrong??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the manual... - 7/7/2004 3:21:48 AM   
Tanaka

quote from Xargun:

First of all I believe the manual is wrong.. HI needs 1 Resource and 1 Oil per day to run, not 2 oil.

Toyohara has 10 Manpower and 5 HI. It also produces 12 Resources per day. So in order for the HI to run it needs 5 Resources and 5 Oil per day. For the Manpower to run, it needs 100 Resources per day. Thus it needs 105 Resources and 5 Oil per day to run at 100%. Manpower is as important as HI in my opinion, as without it all the nice guns and stuff you make has no one to use them. All combat units (land units) suck up Manpower points for replacements and to come on the map.

Now if you expand your HI you will of course need more - I have it at 10 HI in my game, but that is not that much of an increase - +5 oil/resource per day..

Xargun

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 7/6/2004 8:22:30 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 3:27:58 AM   
Mr.Frag

Whats your question? All you did was quote X

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 3:39:41 AM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Whats your question? All you did was quote X

He's asking if I'm right about the manual.

Xargun

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 3
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 3:42:33 AM   
Mr.Frag

Well, considering I told you that the manual was wrong and you are repeating what I told you, I guess I have to back up your claim

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 4
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 4:11:23 AM   
Bodhi

quote:

Well, considering I told you that the manual was wrong and you are repeating what I told you, I guess I have to back up your claim

As you're always telling people to read the manual, and you say the manual is wrong in places, which places of the manual should we ignore.

Put another way, is there an errata thread for the manual somewhere?

Bodhi

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 5
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 4:39:29 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

quote:

As you're always telling people to read the manual, and you say the manual is wrong in places, which places of the manual should we ignore.

Nope, because no one would read that either

There are about 5 errors in the manual. None of which is life altering or affects understanding of how things work. A formula mistake of 1.25 vs 1.5 is not going to bother your learning abilities.

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 6
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 8:08:40 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are about 5 errors in the manual. None of which is life altering or affects understanding of how things work. A formula mistake of 1.25 vs 1.5 is not going to bother your learning abilities.

No but a 2 to 1 will! So I take it that HI needs 1 oil per day and not 2 as you both have said. I guess I have to take your word for it

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 7/7/2004 1:09:28 AM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 7
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 11:14:05 AM   
irrgang

quote:

Thought the manual was still in beta. It hasn't passed the grammar check yet

Content is fine, but the overall quality is rather bad. I'd like to see an updated version.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 8
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 11:17:16 AM   
Bodhi

Agreed. A proof-read or two wouldn't have gone astray, preferably by someone who hadn't played the beta version.

Bodhi

(in reply to irrgang)
Post #: 9
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 11:19:53 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

Really?! I have it printed out and refer to it all the time. Why not start a thread with correction/clarifications?

13.2.2 Industry

Heavy Industry –

“For heavy industry factories at a location to function each day, there must be more resources stored at that location than heavy industry, and there must be more oil at that location than two times the heavy industry. If these requirements are satisfied, then each heavy industry point produces a supply point and 1.33 fuel points that are added to the bases, at a cost of 1 resource and 1 oil point.”

“In addition, heavy industry points equal to the number of heavy industry factories are added to the heavy industry pool. Resources equal to the heavy industry points are expended and oil equal to two times the heavy industry points are expended.”

Caveat:

“Fuel is not produced by both Heavy Industry and Oil Centers at locations that do not have at least a port size 1.”

Questions and comments:

First - The manual seems to indicate that there is an addition cost to produce Heavy Industry points after producing supply and fuel points. Yet, I have run the game a couple of times through turn one and found (where I could) that oil consummation per turn equals the number of heavy industry factories. Would it be correct to say…

Each point of heavy industry factory produces:
1 – Supply Point
1.33 – Fuel Points
1 - Heavy Industry point

At a cost of
1 – Resource
1 - Oil

Second - Cities such as Harbin (inland) will use its heavy industry factory to produce both Supply and Heavy Industry points, but not fuel?

Thank You

< Message edited by Culiacan Mexico -- 7/7/2004 11:21:14 AM >

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 10
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 11:41:01 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Agreed. A proof-read or two wouldn't have gone astray, preferably by someone who hadn't played the beta version.

It has been proof read a couple of times. By the designers themselves too. In such a monster manual some errors simply slip through the comb. Sorry.

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 11
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 11:41:42 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrgang
Content is fine, but the overall quality is rather bad. I'd like to see an updated version.

What are your concerns about "quality" ?

(in reply to irrgang)
Post #: 12
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 11:44:14 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
It has been proof read a couple of times. By the designers themselves too. In such a monster manual some errors simply slip through the comb. Sorry.
... now you have a few hundred proof readers/critics...

You guys did a very good job in my opinion.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 13
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 12:32:38 PM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

quote:

I find you've done an excellent job on such a large manual. So there are a few errata. Has anyone everseen a wargame rules book without errata? May I suggest collecting the errata and putting them in a text file in the 'Download' section of the WitP website?

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

Post #: 14
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 12:37:21 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pascal
May I suggest collecting the errata and putting them in a text file in the 'Download' section of the WitP website?
Agreed.

(in reply to Pascal_slith)
Post #: 15
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 12:43:50 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

quote:

hey marc any answers on this??? Is the manual right or wrong??? thanks!!!

quote:

quote from Xargun:

First of all I believe the manual is wrong.. HI needs 1 Resource and 1 Oil per day to run, not 2 oil.

Toyohara has 10 Manpower and 5 HI. It also produces 12 Resources per day. So in order for the HI to run it needs 5 Resources and 5 Oil per day. For the Manpower to run, it needs 100 Resources per day. Thus it needs 105 Resources and 5 Oil per day to run at 100%. Manpower is as important as HI in my opinion, as without it all the nice guns and stuff you make has no one to use them. All combat units (land units) suck up Manpower points for replacements and to come on the map.

Now if you expand your HI you will of course need more - I have it at 10 HI in my game, but that is not that much of an increase - +5 oil/resource per day..

Xargun

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 7/7/2004 5:44:49 AM >

Post #: 16
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 1:01:55 PM   
Bodhi

quote:

quote:

Sometimes it helps to get a proof-read by someone not so closely involved. I knew it would have been proof-read, I should have said: an extra proof-read or two by people who are new to the game.

Sure some things will get through, but I was a little surprised at some of the things I found. I'm sure the excellent service you guys are giving will continue and we'll get an "official errata" before too long.

Bodhi

Post #: 17
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 3:59:15 PM   
irrgang

quote:

quote:

Marc,

Sorry about that very general quality remark. What I meant is that there are a some spelling errors that a grammar check or a proof reader should've caught. (At least if they have english as their native language.) They are very obvious and easy to catch. My point is if they are obvious then authors are probably aware of them. Then the question arise: Why aren't these faults corrected? From a technical point of view proof reading is ok, but it's clearly lacking in regards to the langauge used. Anyway, from the top of my head here's what I stumbled on...

- Grammar: ", and" as in Ch. 1.0 of Tutorial: "Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced"

- Misspellings. As an example: 'Their' spelled as 'Thier' in some places and 'There' in some places. Spell checkers find the first one for sure and grammar checks the second one. Aren't those used and if so, why aren't they acted upon? Although these are minor faults it gives an indication on what attitude Matrix/2by3 has towards quality. (A bit harsh, but reading the manual/tutorial gave me my first impression of the game and 2by3 products.)

- Errata: Ch. 19.4.1 IJN CV loadout: 3/8 + 3/8 + 3/8 = 9/8

- Errata: Tutorial. (Disclaimer, I might have done something wrong here!)
In beginners section the allies are told to form a fast transport on turn 1 that follows another transport TF. HD is set to Woleai. My fast transport headed to Saipan (follow TF) while the tutorial seemed to expect that it should head to Woleai or Satawal (where it was supposed to be attacked on turn 2).

- Errata: Tutorial page 16. Altitude says 1500, should be 15000.

As I said, the content is fine, I really can't wish for anything more. And of course, this must be put in perspective. What counts is the gameplay and so far it seems to have a high quality and good focus on squashing bugs and tweak the performance.

Post #: 18
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 4:07:55 PM   
freeboy

note the 3/8s has been mentioned.. it actually is correct representing larger than 100% loadouts

(in reply to irrgang)
Post #: 19
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 4:22:51 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

quote:

The quality is fine. There are still some spelling errors that a spell checker should have caught and an occassional gramatical error, but overall, it is a very good manual. A few more actual examples of the calculations in play would be helpful.....

Post #: 20
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 5:22:22 PM   
Grotius

I like the manuals, but there are indeed a fair number of typos and grammatical errors in both the manual and the tutorial. Perhaps Matrix should start a stickie'd thread for everyone to post errors?

Also, the manuals really could use an index. I've written the index for two 400-page books, and I'm half tempted to write one for the WITP manual.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 21
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 5:32:39 PM   
Damien Thorn

quote:

Marc,

... there are a some spelling errors that a grammar check or a proof reader should've caught. (At least if they have english as their native language.)

Yeah. For example, the word "English" is always capitalized.

(in reply to irrgang)
Post #: 22
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 6:36:56 PM   
irrgang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Damien Thorn

quote:

Marc,

... there are a some spelling errors that a grammar check or a proof reader should've caught. (At least if they have english as their native language.)

Yeah. For example, the word "English" is always capitalized.

Ok, got me there But I guess it proves my point if I, who have English as a second language, have complaints on a document in English released by an American company (they do speak English, don't they .

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 23
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 7:35:49 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

Sorry about that very general quality remark. What I meant is that there are a some spelling errors that a grammar check or a proof reader should've caught. (At least if they have english as their native language.) They are very obvious and easy to catch. My point is if they are obvious then authors are probably aware of them. Then the question arise: Why aren't these faults corrected? From a technical point of view proof reading is ok, but it's clearly lacking in regards to the langauge used

Oh, believe me, we used spell checkers, seems no system is perfect then . We corrected every little typo we we aware of.

I have encyclopedias here that have typos too

(in reply to irrgang)
Post #: 24
RE: Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the ma... - 7/7/2004 7:41:22 PM   
The Gnome

quote:

Really?! I have it printed out and refer to it all the time. Why not start a thread with correction/clarifications?

13.2.2 Industry

Heavy Industry –

“For heavy industry factories at a location to function each day, there must be more resources stored at that location than heavy industry, and there must be more oil at that location than two times the heavy industry. If these requirements are satisfied, then each heavy industry point produces a supply point and 1.33 fuel points that are added to the bases, at a cost of 1 resource and 1 oil point.”

“In addition, heavy industry points equal to the number of heavy industry factories are added to the heavy industry pool. Resources equal to the heavy industry points are expended and oil equal to two times the heavy industry points are expended.”

LOL offering a level headed sollution on a message board? How dare you!? We'd rather lash out with crazy talk that gets the blood boiling and solves nothing. :P

Sorry for the sarcasm, but this is a fine idea. Maybe people with a better understanding of what needs to be in an errata can post it in a seperate thread and hope it gets stickied.

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Can anyone from Matrix comment on this??? Is the manual right or wrong??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI