Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

kamikaze

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> kamikaze Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
kamikaze - 1/9/2002 10:15:00 PM   
izhidov

Would it be possible to add kamikaze units? Though they were most effective against naval targets and I don't know exact history on their use over land, it could be done so shouldn't be discounted. JA: Regular units
GE: Me-109/FW-190 on top of HE-111
SU: under some circumstance(damaged plane)

Duck!
Post #: 1
- 1/9/2002 10:37:00 PM   
tracer

Well, there is the 'Banzai' that can occur during a melee involving JA infantry units; they attack the attacking enemy unit. And there's also the suicide infantry AT unit.

Jim NSB

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 2
- 1/9/2002 10:38:00 PM   
toundra

They were only effective against naval units, and big targets only.
If you must die for a cause try to sink a carrier and not a Barge.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 3
- 1/9/2002 10:44:00 PM   
Christopher

quote:

Originally posted by tracer:
And there's also the suicide infantry AT unit.

What unit/s are you referring to, exactly?

Lewer duad üs Slav!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 4
- 1/9/2002 10:49:00 PM   
toundra

Mine throw their demolition charge and then
RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN AWAY =)

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 5
- 1/9/2002 10:54:00 PM   
Christopher

quote:

Originally posted by Toundra:
Mine throw their demolition charge and then
RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN AWAY =)

lol
Well, I prefer to use anti-tank rifles and bazookas. One better keeps one's distance, or however the saying goes. Unless there is forest, of course.

Lewer duad üs Slav!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 6
- 1/9/2002 10:55:00 PM   
izhidov

quote:

Originally posted by Christopher:

What unit/s are you referring to, exactly?

Yea I've seen those. Quite bad for the tanks.

Duck!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 7
- 1/9/2002 10:57:00 PM   
toundra

quote:

lol
Well, I prefer to use anti-tank rifles and bazookas. One better keeps one's distance, or however the saying goes. Unless there is forest, of course.

this is why they are suicide squads hehe

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 8
- 1/9/2002 10:58:00 PM   
izhidov

quote:

They were only effective against naval units, and big targets only.
If you must die for a cause try to sink a carrier and not a Barge.

Germans used the FW-190 - He-111 combo against non-naval targets. Even if that combo isn't technically a 'kamikaze', I'm sure flying those things would be pretty close coz the fighter really set on top of a big bomb.

Duck!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 9
- 1/9/2002 10:59:00 PM   
toundra

By the way they just need to train 2 skills
Throwing
Praying
Running... nm 3 Skills!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 10
- 1/9/2002 11:00:00 PM   
Christopher

quote:

this is why they are suicide squads hehe

Tell my pioneers! They'd refuse to fight for me, immediately!

Lewer duad üs Slav!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 11
- 1/9/2002 11:03:00 PM   
toundra

quote:

Originally posted by no_time_2_play:
Germans used the FW-190 - He-111 combo against non-naval targets. Even if that combo isn't technically a 'kamikaze', I'm sure flying those things would be pretty close coz the fighter really set on top of a big bomb.
hmm FW-190 - He-111 Really? how? =)

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 12
- 1/9/2002 11:04:00 PM   
toundra

quote:

Tell my pioneers! They'd refuse to fight for me, immediately!

Bah you are a real evil German JK

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 13
- 1/9/2002 11:23:00 PM   
izhidov

quote:

hmm FW-190 - He-111 Really? how? =)
here you go correction: Add Me-109 to it too

Duck!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 14
- 1/9/2002 11:25:00 PM   
izhidov

bad url fixed

Duck!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 15
- 1/9/2002 11:32:00 PM   
Christopher

quote:

Bah you are a real evil German JK

Jawollja! Always doing my best.
So, are there any real kamikaze units who blow themselves up, taking everything in the same hex with them? Ammo-depot-like?

Lewer duad üs Slav!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 16
- 1/9/2002 11:40:00 PM   
toundra

quote:

Originally posted by no_time_2_play:
bad url fixed
Oh! i am shocked! A BF109 mating with a HE111 !!! Haaaaaaa the secret of the Germans Factories =)

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 17
- 1/10/2002 12:56:00 AM   
panda124c

Russian Dogs Here pooch fetch that Mk IV.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 18
- 1/10/2002 1:14:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

Toundra posted: hmm FW-190 - He-111 Really? how? =) As I understand it, the FW sat on top of the HE-111, which was packed full of explosives. The pilot of the FW would 'fly' the combination craft until he got in range of his target, then he would release his HE-111 payload and guide it by remote control into the target. (Btw: Joseph Kennedy Jr. died in a flight test of a simmilar arangement using outdated an outdated allied bomber as the guided missile.) Eric Maietta

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 19
- 1/10/2002 5:27:00 AM   
Jacc

You can add Ju-88 and even Ju-188 (!) in the "combomb" list. For some reasen yet not clear to me, the germans sacrificed Ju-88s and Fw-190s for such a foolish attempts. Well, they had Komet also... it was good only as long it had some fuel left (~5 minutes). If we want to discuss over ducks and monstrocities of World War II (like all the failed projects), we should make a new forum. Even AchtungPanzer!.com is not enough to handle such a large amount of fooliness. And... Japanese suicide units were practically useless - why do have all theinfantry covering the tanks? And if the infantry is killed, then why not to use your own against the tank? Since the kamikaze TDs did not have ranged weapons (okay, they threw their mines), like Panzerfaust and Bazooka, they did not fit the similar role.

Pain is for the weak.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 20
- 1/10/2002 3:11:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

Some more informations about the Mistel:
as far as I know they were used only in the attempts to destroy the Soviet Oder-bridges in the last days of WWII(they were seen as very valuable targets, some German pilots made suicide attacks there, too). This way you could bring a far bigger payload of explosives against your target. Furthermore it requires only the amount of fuel for one way of the bomber, and aircraft fuel was very scarce in the last days of WWII in Germany, but there were many planes who were grounded only by lack of fuel!

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 21
- 1/10/2002 4:55:00 PM   
asgrrr

quote:

Originally posted by AbsntMndedProf:
Toundra posted:
As I understand it, the FW sat on top of the HE-111, which was packed full of explosives. The pilot of the FW would 'fly' the combination craft until he got in range of his target, then he would release his HE-111 payload and guide it by remote control into the target.

This could be simulated in the game by giving the fighter slow speed, large size, one piece of the biggest bomb available, or a custom made very large rocket. The former case would be usable in an exported scenario, while the latter might be more accurate reflection.

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 22
- 1/10/2002 6:23:00 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

Here is a webpage with some pics of the Mistel beasty: http://www.schifferbooks.com/military/luftwaffe/inside/0887406688.html Eric Maietta

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 23
- 1/10/2002 8:39:00 PM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by kgvm:
Some more informations about the Mistel:
as far as I know they were used only in the attempts to destroy the Soviet Oder-bridges in the last days of WWII(they were seen as very valuable targets, some German pilots made suicide attacks there, too). This way you could bring a far bigger payload of explosives against your target. Furthermore it requires only the amount of fuel for one way of the bomber, and aircraft fuel was very scarce in the last days of WWII in Germany, but there were many planes who were grounded only by lack of fuel!

If I remember correctly they were used against the Bridge at Remagen. The B-17 that Kennedy died in was a different system, manual take-off then radio controled to the target. The Mistel was flown from the piggy back fighter util it reached the target then released and radio guided to the target by the fighter pilot.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 24
- 1/11/2002 6:11:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

Well, looked at home and found out that the Mistel was first used against the Mulberry harbours in Normandy, but not very successfully. Second use was in March 1945 against Oder bridges.
The Mistel had a payload of 1.5 to 3.5 tons of explosives, far more than the biggest German bombs.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 25
- 1/11/2002 7:17:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

Another link, sorry only in German
Mistel
According to this the Mistel was notremote controlled, but depended on the targeting of the pilot before he separated with the fighter.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 26
- 1/11/2002 10:15:00 PM   
Charles2222

kgvm:
quote:

Well, looked at home and found out that the Mistel was first used against the Mulberry harbours in Normandy, but not very successfully.
This does intrigue me a bit, because I recall that the Mulberries were a big secret, however, one of them was knocked out due to harsh weather, or so the story goes. Given that it was secret, it would've been a pretty rude shock to some people to admit that one of them had been destroyed by a German secret weapon of sorts, or that it had fallen to sabotage. I read a book once, sorry but I haven't the faintest idea of what the name of it was. But they had said that the big secret Norden bombsight was captured fully intact by the Germans and that the advancing Allies found it that way someplace. Only problem I had is that the way the book was written I couldn't tell if they were saying that this captured bombsight was proof that German bombers had the Norden sight on some or all of their bombers, or that given time that would've been the case. Anyone know if the Germans actually used that bombsight any? Perhaps only on the Arado 234? I'm sure most Americans wouldn't believe the Germans had one intact, much less that they may had got around to using it themselves. Anyone know?

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 27
- 1/30/2002 3:05:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

IIRC the Germans got the blueprints of the Norden bombsight in 1940 or 1941. They had a number of very successful spies in the States at this time.
Sorry, I wasn't able to locate my source at home (a book called "Das Spiel der Füchse"), so I cannot give more details.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 28
- 1/30/2002 10:37:00 PM   
Charles2222

kgvm: Thanks for the response. When you think of how that book I mentioned was wrote, that it was found in a German lab somewhere, it almost confuses me all the more. Saying the advancing Americans found it in such a place would tend to indicate that the Germans had not used it yet (but it would certainly shatter the myth that the US was the only one that had it), since you would figure the US would've examined most German airplanes and concluded what they believed all along that the Germans didn't have it. But, then again, one is supposing that the ones that found that bombsight in that one place were privy to knowing what was on all German aircraft, when that is actually very unlikely. In order to believe that it being found remotely would indicate it's not being used in the German air arm, one would also have to believe what the US said that they were the only ones that had it. If the US would've gone overboard to make themselves as the only ones that had it and possibly cover up any German use that had been made, why would they suddenly let or not let that information out at that point? Another question strikes me too. If the Germans had it (particularly in some of their planes), then why didn't they expose the myth that the US was the only one that possessed it (and there might be reasons not to let the US know that you had one or many)? Also, did the Germans realize that the Norden bombsight was made such a big deal out of, in America? And if the Germans wanted to shatter that belief, be it that they were using them or just had one intact, would common Americans ever hear about it? I can understand not informing the public if you knew the Germans had one intact, in fact I'm sure they expected it would happen sooner or later, but what if the Germans were using them, particularly if extensively, is it wise then to try and act as though you're the only one that has it still? It seems the fact that it was so esteemed they wouldn't even let the British have them, but just because they weren't keen on giving that bombsight to their Allies, says nothing for it possibly being captured by the Germans, no matter how much emphasis crews were trained to destroy the thing when going down or landing in enemy territory. If the blueprints were available to Germany in the time you indicated, that would probably mean that if it was placed on planes, it might've been restricted to AR234s, HE177s, ME262bs etc. Of course the bombsights might've been able to be changed on more planes that that, but if the Germans captured it then, wouold they have been thinking at that time how great it was? I could see it just lying around in a lab somewhere for a long time, because until the US went to strategically bombing Germany, what would tell the Germans that it was necessarily such a great thing? Would they even bother to build one and test it? Would they be politically motivated to claim it as inferior to their own and then ignore it?

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 29
- 1/31/2002 1:43:00 AM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Charles_22:
kgvm: Thanks for the response. When you think of how that book I mentioned was wrote, that it was found in a German lab somewhere, it almost confuses me all the more. Saying the advancing Americans found it in such a place would tend to indicate that the Germans had not used it yet (but it would certainly shatter the myth that the US was the only one that had it), since you would figure the US would've examined most German airplanes and concluded what they believed all along that the Germans didn't have it. But, then again, one is supposing that the ones that found that bombsight in that one place were privy to knowing what was on all German aircraft, when that is actually very unlikely. In order to believe that it being found remotely would indicate it's not being used in the German air arm, one would also have to believe what the US said that they were the only ones that had it. If the US would've gone overboard to make themselves as the only ones that had it and possibly cover up any German use that had been made, why would they suddenly let or not let that information out at that point? Another question strikes me too. If the Germans had it (particularly in some of their planes), then why didn't they expose the myth that the US was the only one that possessed it (and there might be reasons not to let the US know that you had one or many)? Also, did the Germans realize that the Norden bombsight was made such a big deal out of, in America? And if the Germans wanted to shatter that belief, be it that they were using them or just had one intact, would common Americans ever hear about it? I can understand not informing the public if you knew the Germans had one intact, in fact I'm sure they expected it would happen sooner or later, but what if the Germans were using them, particularly if extensively, is it wise then to try and act as though you're the only one that has it still? It seems the fact that it was so esteemed they wouldn't even let the British have them, but just because they weren't keen on giving that bombsight to their Allies, says nothing for it possibly being captured by the Germans, no matter how much emphasis crews were trained to destroy the thing when going down or landing in enemy territory. If the blueprints were available to Germany in the time you indicated, that would probably mean that if it was placed on planes, it might've been restricted to AR234s, HE177s, ME262bs etc. Of course the bombsights might've been able to be changed on more planes that that, but if the Germans captured it then, wouold they have been thinking at that time how great it was? I could see it just lying around in a lab somewhere for a long time, because until the US went to strategically bombing Germany, what would tell the Germans that it was necessarily such a great thing? Would they even bother to build one and test it? Would they be politically motivated to claim it as inferior to their own and then ignore it?

Another question comes up, did the Germans have a need for the Norden? Consider that the HE 177 was their first attempt at any thing remotly resembling a stratigic bomber and it had dive bombing capability. It occurs to me that the German bombing philosophy precluded the need for a high altitude bomb sight.

(in reply to izhidov)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> kamikaze Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI