Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ range and replacements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> HQ range and replacements Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ range and replacements - 7/16/2004 8:09:02 PM   
Badbonez

OK, I know on page 197 is the formula for how far distant a land unit can be from the base to get replacements. But what I don't get is how the HQ gets involved with giving replacements and what the "range" is of a HQ. I've been staring at the manual to the point that the words don't mean anything. Can someone concisely explain how replacements work?

My specific example is from the Guadacanal scenario. I am the Japanese in Buna who's base is part of the 17th Army. The 17th Army HQ is in Truk. Is that within 'range' of Buna? My units do not seem to be getting replaced.

Edit: Yes, the base has over 20,000 supplies and the other criteria is met. Maybe they don't need replacements, so they don't get them. But the support number of the 3 units in the base is lower than what they need and I was hoping they would get their support units.

Thanks.

< Message edited by Badbonez -- 7/16/2004 6:10:24 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: HQ range and replacements - 7/16/2004 8:40:31 PM   
rogueusmc

Most combatant units don't have enough support of it's own by TO. They need other support units to be based with them to provide the support they need.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ range and replacements - 7/16/2004 8:42:38 PM   
PeteG662

This may also go back to overall replacements available from the production capacity of Japan......

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ range and replacements - 7/16/2004 8:51:17 PM   
FirstPappy

There was a long thread about this subject awhile back. In it, Mr. Frag wrote that the replacement rules for Air Units and Land Units both involved the way a base is controlled by a Command HQ. He very clearly pointed out how that happens and if you reread the manual you can see that it is in there. But nothing like that is written for ground units. I wrote the following and never got a replay:

Quote:

The example that Mr. Frag gave above is spot on with what’s in the manual only as far as Air Unit replacement go. This is the section that pertains to Ground Unit Replacements:

Bases that have supplies that exceed double their supply requirements may use the excess over double needs to provide replacements (as long as the ground unit has the Accept Replacements selection made on its Ground Unit Information screen). Units are within supply range of the base if the supply range is 50 or greater from a base where you trace a path starting with 100 and subtracting for each hex the path moves through as follows:

• Rail/Highway: 2
• Road: S
• Trail: 25
• Cross Country: 50

If needed items are in the pool (or there are armament points ready to build them if the forces are Japanese and the Production system for Japan is turned on), then they may be added to the unit. The unit should gain at least 1 of each of the needed items (need is if TOE value is greater than the disabled + ready value of the unit and any sub units on the map). The unit may receive more than 1 of each item needed, but must pass a series of checks to do this. Each base that the unit is within supply range of may send replacements, so there is an advantage of being near lots of well-stocked bases. Sub units may never receive replacements unless it is an engineer type unit under computer control.

There is nothing in this section that says anything about the base that supply is being traced to is attached to a Command HQ. It doesn’t say that the base the Command HQ occupies must have at least 20K in supplies either. These are requirements for Air Replacements. In fact, it says nothing about any HQ relationship at all.

My question is should we infer that air and ground replacement rules share this common denominator and therefore is the game programmed to look at this requirement or does the manual reflect the current program? If it’s the latter then Mr. Frag’s example above is applicable only to Air Replacements.

End Quote

As far as I can tell the command radius of an HQ, which is given in the upper LH corner, only gives operational type bonuses to land units.

This was the title of the thread:

Any penalty to a CENPAC ground unit at a SOPAC Base Hex?

Pappy

< Message edited by Pappy -- 7/16/2004 1:53:51 PM >

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 4
RE: HQ range and replacements - 7/16/2004 8:56:20 PM   
PeteG662

Pappy,

I think the issue may be related to the items being in the pool available for the unit to get from my take with the information given. I notice that units slowly get replacements but I also see where my pools are drained ove the particular systems I need for the replacements as well.

(in reply to FirstPappy)
Post #: 5
RE: HQ range and replacements - 7/16/2004 10:35:09 PM   
Badbonez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pappy
This was the title of the thread:

Any penalty to a CENPAC ground unit at a SOPAC Base Hex?

Pappy

Yeah, read that entire thread and I understand what he is saying as for bases EXCEPT that one part where he says
quote:

If BASE Z happens to be in range of BASE Y, the parts go there directly.

If BASE Z is NOT in range of BASE Y, UNIT X/1 is formed at BASE Z and you now need to transport UNIT X/1 to UNIT X.

I see now that I am using HQ instead of base. So, that's the first mistake I made. But the question is: What is the range of the base? Is it that formula on page 197? Or do bases have other fomulas?

And this:
quote:

The one *extra* rule that comes into play with Air units is that you can not UPGRADE an Air unit that is outside the range of the HQ.

What is the range of the HQ in this case?

Thanks.

(in reply to FirstPappy)
Post #: 6
RE: HQ range and replacements - 7/16/2004 10:42:28 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

What is the range of the HQ in this case?

think it was 20

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> HQ range and replacements Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI