Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battle of Midway??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Battle of Midway?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 11:31:49 AM   
jonny211

Hiya all,

I'm a few months into scenario 15 (the full campaign) and I can see the Japanese AI rampaging all over the map, when will it attack Midway... if it ever does??

Also is it worth me building up Guadancanal and will I be able to hold it at this stage??
Post #: 1
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 12:04:39 PM   
RalfBHV

Now, the AI writes the history new.

Nessaja

(in reply to jonny211)
Post #: 2
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 2:25:36 PM   
barbarrossa

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonny211

Hiya all,

I'm a few months into scenario 15 (the full campaign) and I can see the Japanese AI rampaging all over the map, when will it attack Midway... if it ever does??

Also is it worth me building up Guadancanal and will I be able to hold it at this stage??

That's the beauty of this "game", who knows?

I, for one, will be ready for him if and when

"It take a brave soldier to be a coward in the Red Army" -- Uncle Joe

"Is it you or I that commands 9th Army, My Fuhrer?" -- Model

(in reply to jonny211)
Post #: 3
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 2:29:03 PM   
Platoonist

Why would the AI want to repeat Yamamoto's biggest blunder? Makes for an more interesting game if it doesn't.

(in reply to barbarrossa)
Post #: 4
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 2:31:55 PM   
MadDawg

I wonder why a scenario for Midway wasnt included? It would be interesting to give it another go from the Japanese perspective :-)

Dan

(in reply to jonny211)
Post #: 5
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 2:37:42 PM   
barbarrossa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Why would the AI want to repeat Yamamoto's biggest blunder? Makes for an more interesting game if it doesn't.

The AI is sticking to the historical timetable pretty well, and even better if I "help" it along.

All the same, I am ready. I have 308 aviation support, size 6 af, etc. 10Feb42. C'mon and get some future Saipan Cave Dweller Boy!

But I really should have studied the campaign in Burma more closely. I'm now in a mad dash to reinforce the lines there now that Rangoon has fallen like a deck of wet noodles!

I'm in a bit of a spot there.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 6
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 2:46:29 PM   
jonny211

I'm building Midway up with 2 carriers in reserve at Hawaii... just waiting for Mr Yamamoto to attack... Mwahahahaaa.

Dunno what to do with Guadalcanal as yet, but I'm building Noumea up as a staging point for the Solomons. Oddly enough the AI parked 6 Jap battleships at Rabaul as soon as it took it - shame I had to bomb them with my other carriers, but a bit of a flaw in the AI maybe

Post #: 7
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 2:53:01 PM   
tiredoftryingnames

If you ask when will the AI do something and someone has the answer then I think the AI failed. This isn't a day by day recreation of history. No sense in playing that. The AI has some scripted moves for the start, but other things develop and should vary. You should be guessing. If the AI does attack Midway in one game do you want it to do it everytime on the same date in every other game?

(in reply to jonny211)
Post #: 8
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 2:56:52 PM   
Platoonist

I was thinking the same thing. Four big carriers go down and that's probably gonna be it on anymore interesting variations in history by the AI. There goes a lot of the game's tension.

(in reply to tiredoftryingnames)
Post #: 9
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 2:58:11 PM   
jonny211

Fair enough I suppose - I guess that's what made UV a little more equal too - Midway never really happened.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 10
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 3:02:47 PM   
barbarrossa

Whatever it's next moves....I'll be ready. No sense in leaving CentPac forces on liberty in San Francisco, or moving them to SoPac. Midway it is, just in case...especially with the size 6 af.

Aside from evacs of a/c from the Philipines and DEI, I'm trying to keep units with thier assigned commands and not "exploiting" history and so far I'm having an enjoyable game, especially with the Burma fiasco that's shaping up.

Although I have been perplexed as to why Aussie units in Briz cannot be transferred to PM since these bases are in the same command. They don't come up on the list when I want to load them aboard ship. I suspect now that the shipping I'm trying to use is under another command, but I'll have to check when I get home, er, excuse me....the front lines

(in reply to tiredoftryingnames)
Post #: 11
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 3:13:14 PM   
jnier

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonny211

Hiya all,

Guadalcanal can be held early in the game. Since my intended axis of advance is through New Guinea and the Phillipines, I have prioritized holding Guadalcanal over Midway. I have placed most of my spare base units and infantry at Guadalcanal and have not reinforced Midway. This strategy has proven useful so far, since the Japanese AI has not even approached Midway, but was working it way through the Solomans until the reinforcments arrived. I have stopped his advance and am already counterattacking (it's April of 42). Probably could not be this aggressive against a human opponent though.

Since base forces and aviation support are in high demand early in the game, you may find it difficult to provide enough support to repulse a large scale attack at both Midway and Guadalcanal and if the Japanese AI is clever is might hit you at your weaker point.

(in reply to jonny211)
Post #: 12
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 3:28:50 PM   
barbarrossa

I have more than enough Av support and ground force on thier way to Nomea as we speak. F4F's and SBD's there already and fully supported. Engineers expanding everything. Didn't see a reason to ship 308 av support to a size 4 base at this point and Midway was a better choice because it is already size 6 and can support that whopper number of a/c should I need them. AR Vestal in Nomea as well to help with any ship repair I might need till the base gets up and really running.

Resource and oil shipments to Oz proceeding nicely.

Since I don't know exactly what the AI will do once the upper Solomons fall, my priorities are to check him in CentPac at Midway, Nomea and PM must hold him in SoPac.

It's all a matter of preference really. I'm just trying to not play using hindsight very much is all. Gives you a good "feel" for this early point in the war.

But your strategy is sound too, there are so many options!

< Message edited by barbarrossa -- 7/20/2004 1:33:26 PM >

(in reply to jnier)
Post #: 13
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 3:35:28 PM   
PeteG662

Barbarossa,

In regards to moving Aussie units to PM it will never happen. There is something coded where you can not load any Land units under Aussie command on any ship even if to another Aussie Command base. Have to spend PPs to convert to another "free" command and then move them if you wish to reinforce PM.

Post #: 14
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 4:03:37 PM   
barbarrossa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Barbarossa,

In regards to moving Aussie units to PM it will never happen. There is something coded where you can not load any Land units under Aussie command on any ship even if to another Aussie Command base. Have to spend PPs to convert to another "free" command and then move them if you wish to reinforce PM.

That's a bit odd if you ask me. I understand defending the homeland and all. But a unit should be movable within it's own command. PM must be reinforced ...so whatever, I guess I'll change commands! Oi!

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 15
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 5:16:41 PM   
Moquia

I was hoping (still am) the AI would have maybe 3 or 4 strategic planes to choose from at start. I remember playing some of the later versions of PACWAR where the japanese AI would do that.

Post #: 16
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 5:22:40 PM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: barbarrossa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

The AI is sticking to the historical timetable pretty well, and even better if I "help" it along.

All the same, I am ready. I have 308 aviation support, size 6 af, etc. 10Feb42. C'mon and get some future Saipan Cave Dweller Boy!

But I really should have studied the campaign in Burma more closely. I'm now in a mad dash to reinforce the lines there now that Rangoon has fallen like a deck of wet noodles!

I'm in a bit of a spot there.

Me too, Rangoon,Mandalay... and I'm unable hold The AI...

Busy rushing Units from Karachi to Diamond, fast as can to Head off any Lose of Dacca, Calcutta..

These Indian troops melt like an icecube in Hell...

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

Post #: 17
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 5:43:34 PM   
Black Cat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyman662

Barbarossa,

Not true at all.

The Aussie 7th Division in Sidney is released to SWPAC in early- mid March and can be loaded and shipped then.

The NZ LCU`s are released before that and are SOPAC available .

(in reply to PeteG662)
Post #: 18
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 6:01:10 PM   
UncleBuck

I am in Mid Jan '42 and the JP is running wild. I have also placed a good number of AC and support on Midway. I only have it at 90 AV support. It has a re-enforced squadron of Dauntless and Devastators, as well as search planes and 36 P-40E's. I have 3 Carriers in Pearl ready for sortie if my search planes spot anything. I also have nearly 60K in Supply and 326 (I think that is right) in Assault points on Midway. There are mines two coastal defense units and subs around the island. I Hope that they come. :) I am also trying to ignore history and play like a good commander. I lost Wake so I thought it prudent to make Midway a SERIOUS speed bump or threat to a force attacking Pearl. I am leaving the SOPAC/SWPAC a bit thin in order to make some bases in the Aleutians. I plan to start raids and attacks on Japanese Home Islands. See if I can start hitting that Resource/Manufacturing ability early. My Main sub fleet is headed back to Pearl and Midway now for repair and refit, before the main push from Kiska, Midway, and Pearl into the shipping lanes for Japan.

This is my first try. I wanted to try something a lot different while I figured out what to do.

I am thinking about countering my Push from Kiska with taking Wake back, Marcus Island and pushing through the center while JP is busy in India and SOPAC. I do not think they have enough troops left to stop me in mid '42. This will give me bases in a position to cut the empire in half. But hey it is a big gamble with Australia, India and DEI.

UB

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 19
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 11:11:55 PM   
gts2096

quote:

ORIGINAL: UncleBuck

This is my first try. I wanted to try something a lot different while I figured out what to do.

I am thinking about countering my Push from Kiska with taking Wake back, Marcus Island and pushing through the center while JP is busy in India and SOPAC. I do not think they have enough troops left to stop me in mid '42. This will give me bases in a position to cut the empire in half. But hey it is a big gamble with Australia, India and DEI.

UB

the old Divide and Conquer technique. use it everytime i play a eurpoean theatre wwii game. i'll be curious to see if it works in the Pacific.

(in reply to UncleBuck)
Post #: 20
RE: Battle of Midway?? - 7/20/2004 11:17:17 PM   
kaleun

Nice banner Platoonist!
I'm beginning to feel art deprived!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to gts2096)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Battle of Midway?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI