Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Battle of the CD units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Battle of the CD units Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/17/2004 10:18:04 PM   
52nd Lowland

Funny enough the Royal Navy reciprocated when the US Navy asked for carriers when it learned of the IJN plan to defeat the US Navy at Midway..Cheeky buggers to them they were needed in the Indian Ocean.

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 331
RE: Operation Lone Pine - 7/18/2004 4:59:32 AM   
Raverdave

I cannot afford to try and hold Wuchow with their escape route cut, so the decision was made to withdraw. No shame in that, as I now have a huge army with 4500 assult points bearing down on only 56,000 japanese troops who are holding the cross roads. There are in for a very hard time. The main reason that I was holding Wuchow for so long was to simply use up the great mountain of supply that was there.........it has now dropped to 4000 supply points from almost 15,000. Plus it gave my tired troops a well earned rest. My plans for China are progressing well, and Luskan is falling deeper and deeper into the trap. China is nothing but a huge tar-baby.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Sinjen)
Post #: 332
RE: Operation Lone Pine - 7/18/2004 5:21:53 AM   
Luskan

If only I knew what a tar baby was . . .

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 333
Autovictory Conditions - 7/18/2004 5:57:41 AM   
Capt. Harlock

Granted Luskan is way ahead on points, but I thought the 4:1 auto-victory rule didn't kick in until the beginning of 1943. Does it start earlier?

More complicated question: given that Luskan seems to be mopping the floor with Raver's units, is the game tilted towards the Japanese side? Or is the simply the effect of Luskan's brilliant play?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 334
RE: Operation Lone Pine - 7/18/2004 6:04:06 AM   
Caltone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Luskan

If only I knew what a tar baby was . . .

Old story from the antebellum South here in the US. This link should do it. Great AAR guys.

Brer Fox And The Tar Baby

"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 335
RE: Operation Lone Pine - 7/18/2004 6:06:07 AM   
Luskan

Wuchow, a size 9 fort, with a bit of oil, a small heavy industry but a massive pile of resources (so producing supply from resources AND self suppyinh its own heavy industry to produce yet more supply!) was taken without a fight today by 60000 of my best troops. My troops had been preparing for this offensive for a long time, with many prep points, lots of arty and eng and hq units there too. My troops were disappointed, and know that if I was playing the allies, and I had said size 9 fort with oil, industry, resources and a chinese force of 32 combat units that had not been damaged in rpevious combat at all . . . Well I'd be fighting to the death and making it difficult for the japs.

But, Raver's situation was untenable, and a simple tactical flanking just saved me tens of thousands of troops - and netted me lots more resources and industry. Now my blocking force isn't going to whatever that chinese city is called - they're retiring out of harms way to Kweilin - where they will join with my garrison there, behind a LARGE fort as a force of 80000 japs troops and more arty on the way.

From now on in China, all five of my designated "Attack" armies (all about 60-90k in size) who are almost 100% fit, are sitting with LOTS of supply and support behind nice big forts, preparing for my advance into the chinese interior. You are all scoffing, and screaming about historical accuracy. Just because people say it can't be done doesn't mean that my Banana cant do it.

This is my worst game as the japs so far - as singapore only fell as historic, only a little ahead of schedule in the PI and had a CRAP pearl harbour, and compared to other games, Raver is kicking my butt so far in china by avoiding confrontation (well aware of it). Anhiliating the chinese interior and industry would even that all out and put me back ahead. Raver only has to take one risky move and I'll have him. Hopefully.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 336
RE: Autovictory Conditions - 7/18/2004 6:20:41 AM   
Luskan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

Granted Luskan is way ahead on points, but I thought the 4:1 auto-victory rule didn't kick in until the beginning of 1943. Does it start earlier?

More complicated question: given that Luskan seems to be mopping the floor with Raver's units, is the game tilted towards the Japanese side? Or is the simply the effect of Luskan's brilliant play?

43?? Bugger, thought it started earlier. Probably right however.

As for mopping the floor - uh .. . no. Slanted? Are you kidding? I've lost 85% of the subs on the OOB (fortunately the sub thing has been fixed). I've lost twice a much shipping as I should have, and so far it has been my brilliant set move start that puts me so far ahead. It is gradually wearing off (and i haven't taken nearly enough bases).

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 337
RE: Autovictory Conditions - 7/18/2004 9:46:19 AM   
Luskan

Whoever wrote that tar baby story didn't have a solid grasp of english.

This turn was fairly quiet, although from a supply/industry point of view it provides some important info for newer players.

1. Move fuel south. Fast. Especially if you operate your BBs all once as I do. Kendari and Rabaul were out of fuel for ages - fortunately I've not solved that problem (forever pretty much!) by carting in a lifetimes supply of fuel to several locations, using about 250 tankers all up. This operation was very closely supervised, and I ddin't even loose any ships to subs, which is a pleasant surprise (although in the bay of bengal Raver's sub scared one of my wounded cls this turn).

2. Autoconvoy never moves enough to repair things. E.g. Singapore last game I took it, had plenty of supply arriving, but never a solid lump of it big enough to allow repair of all theindustry there. This game, I just finished unloading 100k of supply in there and the place is back up and running. Now that this job is done Singapore becomes my base in the south pacific, and more importantly, my construction teams can move north throughout malaya, building each fort to size 9, each port and airfield as large as I wish them, and providing a little extra security to my garrison troops around the place. When they reach Burma, they'll do the same.

3. Allied airpower in the SRA is best neutralised with your BBs and a fat bombardment. This turn i wiped out a small squadron of vildebeests at koala. They weren't a priority, I just blew them to hell as my bbs were on their way to singapore to begin support ops for the DEI invasion. Like at akyab two turns ago.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 338
RE: Autovictory Conditions - 7/18/2004 8:59:10 PM   
Caltone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Luskan

Whoever wrote that tar baby story didn't have a solid grasp of english.

Ahh my Australian friend, that is Uncle Remus :-) Be preapred for a shock then if you ever visit the Deep South in the US

Of course I received the same kind of shock once in an Irish pub. I was told it was English but I still don't believe it.

"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 339
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/19/2004 3:09:40 PM   
Luskan

See if you can spot the part of this little gem that I'm happy about, and that people in the DEI waiting to be liberated are even happier about!

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 02/26/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Kuala, at 20,43

Japanese Ships
DD Hayabusa
DD Kikuzuki
DD Uzuki
DD Amagiri
DD Yugiri
DD Asagiri
DD Isonami
DD Samidare
DD Natsugumo
DD Amatsukaze
CL Kashii

Runway hits 8
Port hits 3
Port supply hits 12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 52,44

Japanese Ships
PG Kozan Maru
PG Kogyoku Maru
PG Kongosan Maru
PG Kyo Maru #8
PG Kyo Maru #10
PG Shoei Maru
PG Yoshida Maru
PG Shotoku Maru
PG Shinko Maru #3
PG Shinko Maru #2
PG Nikkai Maru
PG Nishho Maru
PG Seikai Maru
PG Shinko Maru #1
PG Shinko Maru #5
PG Shosei Maru
PG Tosho Maru
PG Unkai Maru #1
PC Ch 20
PG Hong Kong Maru
PG Hirotama Maru
PG Heijo Maru
PG Hayakafuku Maru
PG Choko Maru #2
PG Choan Maru #2

Allied Ships
SS Gar

ASW attack at 52,44

Japanese Ships
PG Kozan Maru
PG Kogyoku Maru
PG Kongosan Maru
PG Kyo Maru #8
PG Kyo Maru #10
PG Shoei Maru
PG Yoshida Maru
PG Shotoku Maru
PG Shinko Maru #3
PG Shinko Maru #2
PG Nikkai Maru
PG Nishho Maru
PG Seikai Maru
PG Shinko Maru #1
PG Shinko Maru #5
PG Shosei Maru
PG Tosho Maru
PG Unkai Maru #1
PC Ch 20
PG Hong Kong Maru
PG Hirotama Maru
PG Heijo Maru
PG Hayakafuku Maru
PG Choko Maru #2
PG Choan Maru #2

Allied Ships
SS Gar, hits 1, on fire

ASW attack at 21,45

Japanese Ships
DD Kikuzuki
DD Uzuki
DD Amagiri
DD Yugiri
DD Asagiri
DD Isonami
DD Samidare
DD Natsugumo
DD Amatsukaze

Allied Ships
SS S-40, hits 3, on fire, heavy damage

Ground combat at Bataan

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 213277 troops, 2019 guns, 461 vehicles

Defending force 45871 troops, 211 guns, 83 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Bataan base !!!

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
1120 casualties reported
Guns lost 35
Vehicles lost 7

Allied ground losses:
70775 casualties reported
Guns lost 368
Vehicles lost 38

(in reply to 52nd Lowland)
Post #: 340
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/19/2004 5:34:40 PM   
andytimtim

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 368
Vehicles lost 38

what do you make of the high casualties!!!

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 341
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/19/2004 6:33:06 PM   
kaleun

quote:

They are counting the ones that will die during the Death March!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to andytimtim)
Post #: 342
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/19/2004 9:15:28 PM   
brisd

When units can't retreat, they surrender. I captured 117,000 troops at Bataan vs the AI during my Rising Sun scenario, 2/20/42. Makes a HUGE difference in victory points when you kill or capture that many troops.

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 343
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/20/2004 12:34:55 AM   
Raverdave

Bataan falls. Those poor barstards had little chance against the Nip, they were starved and very very low on ammo. Heros each and everyone of them.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 344
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/20/2004 4:05:05 AM   
Raverdave

I shall return !

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 345
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/20/2004 7:29:47 AM   
Luskan

What? Return to america where you belong ?!?

Plans for the DEI have been submitted and while my banana wants to go one way, I want to go another. There are some situatoins in life that you should always follow your banana (a man and his fruit are hard to seperate) but thinking with your banana all the time is a great way to end up in a cocktail.

Plan A is risky. Oh it is risky. It could go SO wrong - especially if Raver gets wind of it, but he doesn't even have to know about it to screw it to hell - it could fold in on itself and just not work period, and cost me months and months on my timetable for no gain and lots of losses. My banana favours this one because if by some fluke I pull it off, it will be bataan all over again the length of the DEI and Raver boy will be in serious trouble.

Plan B is much more conventional, and would work - slow and steady and nothing Raver could do about it (except of course, withdraw or reinforce - we saw that not withdrawing in malaya worked for him (although he did loose all those troops) while not withdrawing from the PI more, well that hurt him.

I have two operations to go before I have to make my choice. Operation Sponge and Operation Tart. Both are small scale and perhaps very predictable - these will launch as soon as the troops I have listed for them reach 100% readiness. The last few days have been an absolute blessing with resources rolling in and supplies rolling out. My troops around the globe are the strongest they've ever been with reinforcements, replacements, and nice full pools in the Industry screen (thank god - will be expanding a few select repair ports now i've got a bit of a surplus. That way my repair turn aronud won't be quite so long - All my early game damaged ships smaller than BBare have all been fully repaired by careful rationing of damaged ships to repair ports and not leaving any other damaged ships in said ports etc. etc. Even the BBs scratched early on are back in the green (want them back to 0 though). If I could just speed this up a little faster I'd be happy.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 346
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/20/2004 11:47:24 AM   
andytimtim

Plan A is risky. Oh it is risky. It could go SO wrong - especially if Raver gets wind of it, but he doesn't even have to know about it to screw it to hell - it could fold in on itself and just not work period, and cost me months and months on my timetable for no gain and lots of losses. My banana favours this one because if by some fluke I pull it off, it will be bataan all over again the length of the DEI and Raver boy will be in serious trouble.

an invasion of PH???!!!

< Message edited by andytimtim -- 7/20/2004 11:37:48 AM >

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 347
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/20/2004 2:16:54 PM   
Raverdave

I wish he would ! Nah I would think that Luskan is planning something off the wall such as an invasion of India or even the northern coast of Oz. Certainly he still needs to take PNG, and I am yet to decide if I am even going to bother contesting that or not. He STILL needs the DEI as there is a sh1tload of oil sitting there for the asking, and I have nodoubt that is what he has his little beady eyes fixed on right now.

Oi Churchill you bloody wanker! I want my 6th, 7th and 9th Divisions back and I want them NOW!

Actually I am waiting for the next turn to arrive as I am hoping to a good turn..........with luck I will have sunk or damaged some of yellow boys capital ships.

(in reply to andytimtim)
Post #: 348
Oi ! Ratbrain ! - 7/20/2004 3:04:36 PM   
Raverdave

Luskan !

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 52nd Lowland)
Post #: 349
RE: Oi ! Ratbrain ! - 7/20/2004 5:46:21 PM   
Raverdave

Some quick action around Kendari...............I let loose with some CVs in an effort to catch something, and scored some hits on a few CAs and whatnot. I had just missed a big TK convoy by two days, but there was little that I could do about that. For the moment I am just happy to hit and run and let my boys get in some pratice. If the BDA is to be believed the Mogami and Aoba are going to need some patching
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 03/01/42

Sub attack at 22,48

Japanese Ships
CA Furutaka, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KXVI

Day Air attack on Lanchow , at 45,25

Allied aircraft
I-16c x 14
SB-2c x 15

Allied aircraft losses
SB-2c: 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x SB-2c bombing at 15000 feet
3 x SB-2c bombing at 15000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Kendari at 33,71

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 16
F4F-4 Wildcat x 11
SBD Dauntless x 15

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro, Bomb hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x SBD Dauntless bombing at 2000 feet
9 x SBD Dauntless bombing at 2000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Kendari at 33,71

Allied aircraft
SBD Dauntless x 64

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless: 12 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami, Bomb hits 4
CA Aoba, Bomb hits 4
DD Asagumo
CA Nachi, Bomb hits 2

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x SBD Dauntless bombing at 2000 feet
6 x SBD Dauntless bombing at 2000 feet
7 x SBD Dauntless bombing at 2000 feet
7 x SBD Dauntless bombing at 2000 feet
Day Air attack on TF, near Akyab at 30,29

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24
G4M1 Betty x 12

Allied aircraft
Hurricane II x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane II: 8 destroyed

Allied Ships
AP Dardanus, Torpedo hits 5, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x G4M1 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 350
RE: Oi ! Ratbrain ! - 7/20/2004 8:30:20 PM   
Nikademus

you gotta wonder about a man who talks so much to his banana. One wonders what else he does with it when noone's around

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 351
RE: Oi ! Ratbrain ! - 7/20/2004 8:49:27 PM   
Xargun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

you gotta wonder about a man who talks so much to his banana. One wonders what else he does with it when noone's around

I'd rather not know....

Xargun

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 352
RE: Oi ! Ratbrain ! - 7/20/2004 9:57:09 PM   
freeboy

lol

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 353
Japanese Economy - 7/20/2004 10:23:21 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

My troops around the globe are the strongest they've ever been with reinforcements, replacements, and nice full pools in the Industry screen

I have to wonder about Luskan's industry. Although I congratulate him on the speedy fall of Malaysia and the PI, it seems to me that he is actually far behind the historical schedule in securing oil bases. (Above all, the big prize at Palembang.) Shouldn't there be a general decline of fuel stocks by now?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 354
RE: Japanese Economy - 7/20/2004 11:04:22 PM   
Nikademus

while much will depend on how much the Japan player is using his fleet (especially the big units) The Japanese, in general, had a large fuel reserve that would help cushion the effects of this heavy use period. The state of the reserve and it's inevitable decline after the complete embargo was instituted was a large factor in Japan's timing and decision for going to war.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 355
RE: Japanese Economy - 7/20/2004 11:19:48 PM   
SunDevil_MatrixForum

This is a great AAR, but from reading all 12 pages of it so far, it seems like Luskan is wasting too much time in China and India, and not focusing on the southern islands, also trying to cut or intercept shipping from PH to OZ. Does anyone know or use the tactics to focus more on territory that is closer to the Japan Homeland, then concentrate on the southern islands and OZ?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 356
RE: Japanese Economy - 7/21/2004 7:11:02 AM   
kaleun

Maybe he's trying to win in China, so he can divert some of his forces there to other theaters. It is a good scheme, if it works of course.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to SunDevil_MatrixForum)
Post #: 357
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/21/2004 8:01:11 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Oi Churchill you bloody wanker! I want my 6th, 7th and 9th Divisions back and I want them NOW!

"Oi"?! You want the Jewish Brigade back as well?!

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 358
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/21/2004 10:06:41 AM   
Luskan

Actually, the fuel reserves weren't looking too good but Balikpapan yielded a bloody fortune - in oil as well as fuel that has put me back in the black. palembang is on the list, yes, but Brunei and miri from turn 1, as well as my captured chinese bases have been pumping enough oil and resources to keep the economy together for a long whlie.

DEI I will take, but still debating plans.

Raver did less than 5 sys damage in total to any of my cas because his dauntlesses were at long range and are crap pilots. unfortunately for him, he missed the mammoth convoy two days before. Fortunately for him, he arrived at the precise turn I transferred all the betties out of Kendari. They're at Rangoon now sinking his transports off Akyab (4 in 2 turns). However because his cvs shows up I sent in some nells . . . which chose this turn to upgrade to betties (so they all went damaged). Swearing a lot, I've got nothing to do but admit Raver caught me out of position and off guard in the south, and have to watch his stupid CV (only one I think?) escape off beneath PNG and then into the pacific.

So although he would have lost his cv if he'd come two turns before, I wold have lost a lot more tks.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 359
RE: Battle of the CD units - 7/21/2004 10:27:30 AM   
Raverdave

Yeah Luskan is looking for a decisive victory in China, but so far I have been able to trade territory for time, and have largely been able to keep all of my Chinese units intact.......this in turn forces Luskan to keep a LOT of troops in China, as I know that he would dearly love to ship them out else where.

As far as Burma/India is concerned, well the golden chance to take Burma has been and gone. If Luskan had thrust hard and deep........er..ok maybe wrong choice of words considering how he has been tlaking about his bananananana lately.....but back to the lesson. If Luskan had of moved fast he could have taken most if not all of Burma. As things stand now I have all of the routes north well covered AND have two FULL strength Britsh Divisions in reserve to plug any holes that may appear. I also have some major plans for this theater that are under study right now, and if all the I's get dotted and the Ts crossed then there will be some MAJOR action in two months time.

The south pacific are not the only places that Luskan should be worried about. To date I have had a free had in the Northern Pacific and the buildup is progessing very well indeed even if the weather is causing operational losses and maintenance problems.

My plan is simple...hit him everywhere and look for the weakness then have the units ready to exploit the whole.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Battle of the CD units Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI