Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

7.0 bugs (and a new version of PBEM Helper to fix one)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> 7.0 bugs (and a new version of PBEM Helper to fix one) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7.0 bugs (and a new version of PBEM Helper to fix one) - 1/20/2002 12:19:00 AM   
Fuerte

1. Can't view map when a secure PBEM game is finished, because it requires passwords for both players. This is fatal! 2. Targetting selects randomly victory hexes for targets. 3. Recon unit movement display when clicked once and C&C is on (it shows the range as if the unit was not a recon unit). Bug 3 is very old, but 1 and 2 were introduced in v5/6 if I remember correctly. [ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: Fuerte ]

Post #: 1
- 1/20/2002 12:39:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Regarding point 1. I'm not sure that is a crawling insect, but I'm sure all the players would like that. When I finnish a PBEM game I ask my opponent to send me his password and I send him mine. Problem solved. Point 2 - never saw that but I don't know if I understand what you mean. Point 3 - that I really don't understand what you mean. Can't you be more specific?

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 2
- 1/20/2002 1:39:00 AM   
Khan7

You can also expect some highly defensive posts from some vets around here pretty quick. Not that I blame them, this being a free game put together with an incredible amount of dedication. Matt

Khan7

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 3
- 1/20/2002 5:42:00 AM   
Fuerte

quote:

Originally posted by RichardTheFirst:
Regarding point 1. I'm not sure that is a crawling insect, but I'm sure all the players would like that. When I finnish a PBEM game I ask my opponent to send me his password and I send him mine. Problem solved.
But one should never be forced to reveal his passwords! Also I don't understand why the end-game sequence is different from any other turn. In other turns you are required to enter only your password. So when game ends, it should work as following: 1. player A sends the turn to player B
2. player B enters his password, and views the map, and then sends the turn back
3. player A enters his password, and views the map Regarding bug 3, Matrix knows it, but they say that it is too hard to fix. These three bugs are the ones that I see in every game I play.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 4
- 1/20/2002 5:51:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Why on earth is it such an issue to send the password with the last turn??? How hard is it to come up with a password? We felt it easier to send your password than to have to exchange several more emails... With out passwords it is easy for an opponant to surrender, check your positions, reload and restart. We have tried to fix the middle one, but is it so hard to cycle past it? I have not seen this affect gameplay in v7 AS I have said the 99 other times this has been brought up all you have to do is click twice on teh recon unit and its movement radius will appear. Its not worth the effort to save a mouse click.
Sorry, they may be incovenient, but either aren;t bugs or so tiney they don;t warrant the effort better spent elsewhere

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 5
- 1/20/2002 8:01:00 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

Originally posted by Fuerte:
But one should never be forced to reveal his passwords!
With a little imagination I am sure that you can think up a new password every month or so. Start with all the names of your ex-girlfriends and you'll surely find enough to last a year or two. Then recycle them..........the passwords.......the girlfriends are already recycled

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 6
- 1/20/2002 8:16:00 PM   
Fuerte

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
Why on earth is it such an issue to send the password with the last turn??? How hard is it to come up with a password? We felt it easier to send your password than to have to exchange several more emails...
One more e-mail. It is easy to generate new passwords in PBEM Helper, for example, but since SPWAW does not support clipboard when entering the password, it is very difficult to enter different password for each game you play. PBEM Helper already puts the password into clipboard. So in practise you must use the same password for each game, and you can't reveal it.
quote:

With out passwords it is easy for an opponant to surrender, check your positions, reload and restart.
Not if the end-game sequence works like every other turn. If the opponent surrenders, then he would need to enter my password to view the map.
quote:

We have tried to fix the middle one, but is it so hard to cycle past it? I have not seen this affect gameplay in v7 AS I have said the 99 other times this has been brought up all you have to do is click twice on teh recon unit and its movement radius will appear. Its not worth the effort to save a mouse click. Sorry, they may be incovenient, but either aren;t bugs or so tiney they don;t warrant the effort better spent elsewhere
Tiny or not, but these three things are the only bugs that I see in every game I play. And the first one is huge, not tiny. It spoils the whole secure PBEM game.

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 7
- 1/21/2002 2:03:00 AM   
Fuerte

Alright, I added a hot key Ctrl+Shift+P to PBEM Helper, so that it now sends the password as keystrokes. This works with SPWAW. And you can generate totally random passwords in PBEM Helper, so this is a workaround to the password problem. Download the latest exe from the link in my signature. [ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: Fuerte ]

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 8
- 1/22/2002 3:08:00 AM   
Fuerte

Bump...

(in reply to Fuerte)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> 7.0 bugs (and a new version of PBEM Helper to fix one) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI