Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cavalry

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Cavalry Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cavalry - 1/21/2002 6:01:00 AM   
SkyVon

Shouldn't cavalry units be treated the same as vehicles when it comes to entering hexes that contain houses/buildings, etc? Haven't seen too many horses inside a house lately...other than a barn.

Post #: 1
- 1/21/2002 6:11:00 AM   
asgrrr

The horses can wait outside while the men run through the houses. A tank needs a much wider gap to pass through than a horse. Being in a building hex doesn't necessarily mean being inside the house.

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 2
- 1/21/2002 6:19:00 AM   
SkyVon

I'll accept the second part of your answer, but not the first. There is no discernable movement loss to the cav unit when it enters a house/bldg hex which would have to happen if they were to dismount go then mount. As I think of it, would 12 horses take up less space than 1 tank? If the answer is no, then the second part of your answer wouldn't work either. Just a thought on this, no big issue but I did chuckle when while playing LV I saw some Soviet cav units blaze through a village forgoing the road system.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 3
- 1/21/2002 6:50:00 AM   
asgrrr

We have 2 situations:
1) The unit stops in the hex. Then the men dismount and take up positions inside the house. The horses can go anywhere.
2) The unit is passing through. Then the riders pass along the sides of the house, through passageways that may be much to narrow for a tank, one after the other. In both cases horsemen have ability of passage and occupation much superior to a tank.

Never hate your enemy.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 4
- 1/21/2002 7:01:00 AM   
Major Destruction

Look at the scale of those buildings. They appear to be about 20m square or 400 square metres (3600 square feet) The average size of a WW2 era wooden house would not be greater than 100 square metres (900 square feet) and most likely very much smaller than that in poorer countries. Clearly, the building icons represent either a very small building in a very large space or a cluster of small buildings. A litle imagination can be applied here.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 5
- 1/21/2002 7:22:00 AM   
asgrrr

We have to use some space warping. A unit in a building hex is mainly supposed to be interacting with the building object, in the case of infantry hiding in it, in the case of vehicles crashing into it/being obstructed by it.

Never hate your enemy.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 6
- 1/21/2002 10:10:00 AM   
Dogfish

Hey All: The scale of the unit icons themselves are 2 pixels/ft. This is about the smallest you can do the units and have any detail at all. As it is the smallest detail you can get is 6" (1 pixel) this means a man's arm is 6" a gun barrel is 6" a rope on a tent is 6".... you get the idea. If you apply this scale to a hex that is 88 pixels the distance between parallel sides would be 44'. Instead the distance represents 25 yds. or meters or about 75'. Or about 1 pixel/ft. This can be confusing. I assume that the buildings follow the same scale as the icons. So what you have are buildings and units that are double the size they would be if kept in scale with the hexes. I don't know if this helps visualize the scales... I still get messed up when I'm deep into a game. I find myself using the unit scale to judge distance instead of the hex scale.

When you're wounded and left
on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out
to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle
and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Kipling

------------------

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 7
- 1/21/2002 3:43:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

My 2 cents of Euro: You can go to General Preferences - Unit Icon and change the value there. The units can be sized a lot smaller. The default is to allow players a better view of the units. PS - Major: a small correction if you don't mind - 3 foot +/- = 1 meter. [ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: RichardTheFirst ]

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 8
- 1/21/2002 8:59:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

Yes, Richard, and a square meter = about 9 square feet, just like Major said in his post

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 9
- 1/21/2002 10:16:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

OOOOOPS SOOOORRRRRRRY

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 10
- 1/21/2002 10:26:00 PM   
asgrrr

Let's get this straight: 1 foot = 30,5 cm, so
1 meter = 3,28 feet.
1 square meter = 10,7 square feet.

Never hate your enemy.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 11
- 1/21/2002 10:33:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

Penetrator: nice calculator you have

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 12
- 1/21/2002 11:51:00 PM   
asgrrr

Well sir, I don't have a degree in physics for nothing!

Never hate your enemy.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 13
- 1/22/2002 2:54:00 AM   
Redleg

When I think about these hexes, a house icon would have things that aren't seen. A dog house, a porch, garbage pile in the back yard, a well, an outhouse. LOL Lots of things to provide shelter. A so-called clear hex to me may have small brush, dips, rocks, etc. To me, the icon represents the dominant feature in the hex, not the *only* thing in the hex. It is somewhat mysterious how cavalry can go into a wooden building and bicycle infantry cannot. Man! The Finns got the shaft when their elite formations have those weird bicycle units.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 14
- 1/22/2002 6:28:00 PM   
challenge

That thing about bicycles makes no sense to me at all. The last time I checked it was pretty easy to get a bike through the door, but the horse just didn't want to go in at all. In ASL it says that the buildings represent a cluster of structures throughout the hex, not a single building; that a terrain feature is the dominant type, not the only type. Anyone who's walked an uncultivated or unmanicured area will notice that there are clear and dense spots in any area -- even one as small as 50 m. sq. (250 sq m.). I sometimes think we try to take every icon in the game literally and they're really scaled for show. It does, however, make me wonder about vehicles passing through. In the city I live in there are alleys and building separations that would easily allow an A1 Abrams to pass through. The building convention is just that: a convention to allow a generalization of obsticles. I do think some of them come out weird, but hey, it's a game and we have to make some allowances, don't we?

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 15
- 1/23/2002 8:18:00 AM   
Major Destruction

quote:

Originally posted by Challenge:

as small as 50 m. sq. (250 sq m.).

HUH?
Professor, get out your calculator again! [ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: Major Destruction ]

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 16
- 1/23/2002 8:30:00 AM   
asgrrr

Heheh... Who here needs a course in maths/geometry? Allright, who can tell me how many cubic centimeters there are in a cube one kilometre per side?

Never hate your enemy.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 17
- 1/23/2002 10:08:00 AM   
valdor17

Well, from what I remember of Germany, the first floor of most of the buildings in villages were barns! More seriously, a tank is a single, large object. The dozen or so horses are a lot of smaller objects that can be spread throughout the hex.

A66
1st MRB

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 18
- 1/23/2002 11:15:00 PM   
challenge

quote:

Originally posted by Major Destruction:

HUH?
Professor, get out your calculator again! [ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: Major Destruction ]

Okay, so what's an extra zero amungst fiends.

Challenge

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 19
- 1/23/2002 11:28:00 PM   
K G von Martinez

I guess Penetrator will tell you it' s a little more or better a little less than a zero. We have hexes, not squares!
By the way, how do you say 1.000.000.000.000.000 in English? I confess I have always problems with the bigger numbers for IIRC there a slight differencies:
a German Million = an English million
a German Milliarde = an English billion
a German Billion = 1000 English billions (=??) [ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: kgvm ]

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 20
- 1/23/2002 11:48:00 PM   
appunk

quote:

Originally posted by Penetrator:
Allright, who can tell me how many cubic centimeters there are in a cube one kilometre per side?
let's see...
meter=10^2 cm
kilometer=10^3 m
cubic km=10^3 km so, (((10^2)^3)^3) cubic centimeters in a cubic km.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 21
- 1/24/2002 12:19:00 AM   
challenge

quote:

Originally posted by kgvm:

By the way, how do you say 1.000.000.000.000.000 in English? I confess I have always problems with the bigger numbers for IIRC there a slight differencies: [ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: kgvm ]

1 X 10^15 ? [ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: Challenge ]

Challenge

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 22
- 1/24/2002 12:25:00 AM   
Bing

John Wayne rides his horse into saloons all the time. Why can't we do the same? You guys are missing something horses do in the yard that bicycles don't, but I won't go into that here, because this is a family-oriented forum. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 23
- 1/24/2002 12:42:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

quote:

Allright, who can tell me how many cubic centimeters there are in a cube one kilometre per side?
I know engineering too - the answer is 1E+15. Thought I wouldn't do it eh?

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 24
- 1/24/2002 3:00:00 AM   
asgrrr

Looks like we have 3 correct answers, one incorrect. Not bad. The solution can be represented in many ways: 1.000.000.000.000.000;
1E15;
1x10^15;
a million billion. Funnymarx, you put on the hat and sit in the corner.

Never hate your enemy.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 25
- 1/24/2002 3:40:00 AM   
SkyVon

quote:

Heheh... Who here needs a course in maths/geometry? Allright, who can tell me how many cubic centimeters there are in a cube one kilometre per side?

Uh, whats a kilometre?
Metric is for sissies [ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: SkyVon ]

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 26
- 1/24/2002 6:24:00 AM   
asgrrr

quote:

Originally posted by SkyVon:

Uh, whats a kilometre? Metric is for sissies [ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: SkyVon ]

Kilo is derived from the greek word for a thousand. It is one of many standard prefixes used in the metric system, the scientific system of measurements that was invented during the french revolution, and is now in use all over the world, with the exception of a very few underdeveloped peoples.

Never hate your enemy.

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 27
- 1/24/2002 6:34:00 AM   
bigtroutz

http://www.hoxie.org/math/general/numnames.htm says Quadrillion for what its worth, hehe [ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: bigtroutz ]

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 28
- 1/24/2002 6:42:00 AM   
appunk

quote:

Looks like we have 3 correct answers, one incorrect. Not bad. The solution can be represented in many ways: 1.000.000.000.000.000;
1E15;
1x10^15;
a million billion. Funnymarx, you put on the hat and sit in the corner.

Ahhhh!! How'd i get off by three orders of magnitude???!?!?!
shoulda been
((10^2)*(10^3))^3
blah....

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 29
- 1/24/2002 9:38:00 AM   
Antonius

quote:

Originally posted by Challenge:
(...) It does, however, make me wonder about vehicles passing through. In the city I live in there are alleys and building separations that would easily allow an A1 Abrams to pass through. The building convention is just that: a convention to allow a generalization of obsticles. I do think some of them come out weird, but hey, it's a game and we have to make some allowances, don't we?
Here in Western Europe there was seldom any free space between houses in villages and town in WWII (modern parts are spacier). And many olds streets are so narrow that a tank would never be able to enter them ! Farms where I live usually are surrounded by a brick wall 2 meters high, which of course a tank could go through but at the risk of immobilization. Visited the US once (Illinois mostly) and one of the things that struck me was how spread out the small towns are. Big gardens, few fences, few walls, large streets. I guess you could squeeze 4 French towns in one US one

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to SkyVon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Cavalry Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI