Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Consensus On a Stalingrad Mega Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Consensus On a Stalingrad Mega Campaign Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Consensus On a Stalingrad Mega Campaign - 1/26/2002 11:40:00 PM   
BryanMelvin

This is just a poll to see if there support for a Stalingrad Mega Campaign out there and if so would you like to see one? Remember this is just an idea and not set in stone

Post #: 1
- 1/27/2002 12:57:00 AM   
bobaloo000

From which side? From Soviets, yes. Germans I'm not so sure.

Mister I'm not a boy no I'm a man/and I believe in the promised land...

(in reply to BryanMelvin)
Post #: 2
- 1/27/2002 1:31:00 AM   
asgrrr

Soviet yes, german no.

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

Post #: 3
- 1/27/2002 2:09:00 AM   
Scharfschütze

I always considered Stalingrad the Mother of all Battles. I´d also like to see it from the soviet perspective. Defeat, desperation, sacrifice ... and finally triumph. Go for it!

Post #: 4
- 1/27/2002 2:54:00 AM   
RolandRahn_MatrixForum

Also I hate to be the troublemaker....
I'm against another eastern front MC for SPWAW.
The first CL Module will cover the eastern front.
Will there be Mega Campaigns for CL?
If so, the first MC for CL would have to cover the eastern front.
That would be the right place for a Stalingrad MC. In other words:
Imagine that one day, you receive a parcel from Matrixgames including two CDs:
One with a SPWAW-MC: Stalinggrad and one with CL:eastern front.
Wouldn't that be a little frustrating? Kind regards,
Roland

Post #: 5
- 1/27/2002 3:32:00 AM   
Alexandra

I don't think S-Grad would make a good MC. Here's why: If you make it from the German side, in the end, you'll lose. Kinda depressing, huh If you make if from the Soviet side, though, how do you code the early battles - where the Russians lost? After all, they were driven a long, long, way back before winning. But, can the engine support the history? I don't think so. I think Kursk would make a better MC from the Sov PoV, and, for the Germans, Operation Mars would be way cool. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 6
- 1/27/2002 5:51:00 AM   
Viriato

hello all ...
mc-Stalingrad ...yes , german side . MC - crete ????? wouldn't it be cool ???

A sorte protege os audazes

Post #: 7
- 1/27/2002 11:00:00 PM   
RockinHarry

I also would say that it´s a better idea to support non-german played mega cams for the next time! I would love to see Bryans updated V7.1 Stalingrad campaign though! __________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 8
- 1/27/2002 11:24:00 PM   
ruxius

I think that Stalingrad should be MUST especially if you think you started a path with LV . Stalingrad could be the natural sequel to players who completed LV
I recommend to design it from a German side
I better explain why later... This new Megacd should cover the battles starting from where LV ends and going on ahead till Kursk.
Stop at this point now there should be place for a third Megacampaign this time played from a Soviet side : the counterattack ! I would remember that now Megacamp are opened to two human players..the forum is a good place where to find good opponents ! This new feature of the MEGACamps would perfectly reflect the active role of the player.. German side where germans had the initiative (that is untill Kursk ) and Soviet side from that point back to the Battle of Berlin.. That best fits with the dual role (active/passive ) role of the megacamps !
RolandRahn posted a good point though...
If ever CL works with Eastern Front only as a question of context and no long campaign is provided there I vote for the natural sequels of the LV campaigns but if a long campaign will be designed in CL then it's obvious that another Megacampaign there seem to look like an opportunity we lost to see new theatres Bye

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 9
- 1/27/2002 11:29:00 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

I agree with Alexandra:Kursk would be defenetly better:tons of different kind of operations,tons of tank battles,bunkers,arty and air support.......in a word:cool!!!
but what about something like a 11th army Crimea MC in 41/42?would be cool to siege Sevastopol with its Bunkers complexs...but few tanks for Mainstein.....And Charkov in 43?not that bad.......but probably something not german would be more fair,considering that there are already 2 MC on germman side's view.I think an Italian Campaign 43/44 from the allied side would be the best.Montecassino,Salerno,Anzio,the Gotic line,etc etc......

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

Post #: 10
- 1/28/2002 12:34:00 AM   
scimitar

quote:

Originally posted by RolandRahn:
Also I hate to be the troublemaker....
I'm against another eastern front MC for SPWAW.
The first CL Module will cover the eastern front.
Will there be Mega Campaigns for CL?
If so, the first MC for CL would have to cover the eastern front.
That would be the right place for a Stalingrad MC. In other words:
Imagine that one day, you receive a parcel from Matrixgames including two CDs:
One with a SPWAW-MC: Stalinggrad and one with CL:eastern front.
Wouldn't that be a little frustrating? Kind regards,
Roland

I agree with you, Roland. You clearly exprimed my point of view. I think the next megacampaign for SPWAW would be a France 1944 campaign (or larger: from D-Day to Berlin...)

Pour une dent toute la gueule!

Post #: 11
- 1/28/2002 12:55:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have no trouble with a "Stalingrad" offering either side. Although it might be a bit rough getting armour in there. But Stalingrad is the biggie of down and dirty street scraps (even if there were other nasty city fights).

Kursk, well that is definitely an armour intensive environment to be sure. Sadly both of the above are Eastern Front. But I dont call that a negative. Some great battles that are out there might be: Battle of the Bulge should please the American player fans. Us Canucks would like to see Ortona perhaps, not sure if it can be modelled on the same scope though. Cassino has multi nationality promise also. Market Garden pleases the American Player and the British player in one go and a very nice way to master airdrops. Cant comment on the Desert as I dont know much of Desert Fox. Hopefully Alamein, Tobruk, Kasserine all get modelled well eventually. Not sure how the Pacific might be expanded. Bataan, Tarawa, New Guinea, Okinawa are all fairly unique to each other in style I think (although the Pacific gives me the willies). Sure all of my notions are cliche', but like I tell all my friends, "a cliche' is a cliche' for a reason eh".
I havent yet played a Mega Campaign, (its still in the mail for me), so all of this is just off the top of my head eh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 12
- 1/28/2002 3:24:00 AM   
Frank W.

i want the ardennes!

Post #: 13
- 1/28/2002 3:24:00 AM   
Phil Buster

I agree with Stalingrad campaign, either side, but I also consider, as Alexandra says, that a Kursk one would be the most. Either side too, maybe the soviets deserve to have one megacampaign and it could be interesting to command then in Kursk. Apart from there I would like to see an italian campaign MC. Either side too.

Eusko gudariak gara Euskadi azkatzeko. Gerturi daukagu odola bere aldez emateko.

Post #: 14
- 1/28/2002 4:33:00 AM   
Jackk

quote:

Originally posted by BryanMelvin:
This is just a poll to see if there support for a Stalingrad Mega Campaign out there and if so would you like to see one? Remember this is just an idea and not set in stone
Naw, I have LV and am looking towards some WF action in the next MC.

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

Post #: 15
- 1/28/2002 5:11:00 AM   
Supervisor

My vote is for Stalingrad also, unless someone wants to tackle Operation Sealion. I know somebody out there is in progress of making a campaign for it.

Post #: 16
- 1/28/2002 9:38:00 AM   
swamp fox

I think a lot depends on how many MCs Matrix is planning. If we only have one more East Front MC, I think it should be Kursk from the Soviet side. If there are going to be several, by all means do Stalingrad, either side is fine.

Post #: 17
- 1/28/2002 1:25:00 PM   
scimitar

quote:

Originally posted by gmenfan:
My vote is for Stalingrad also, unless someone wants to tackle Operation Sealion. I know somebody out there is in progress of making a campaign for it.
Could you say us just a little bit more?

Pour une dent toute la gueule!

Post #: 18
- 1/28/2002 1:26:00 PM   
ZoomBoy27

One MC on the Western Front would have to be the liberation of Holland by Canada(1st Canadian Army)
The clearing of the Scheldt.
Race for the Dike controls
Steady advances
Terrain of marsh, dykes, and high points
Funnies
Polish and Candian forces
City Fighting ZoomBoy

Post #: 19
- 1/28/2002 4:42:00 PM   
voyrep

Stalingrad was a meatgrinder
I don´t think it sounds very exciting to have
a megacampaign take place in Stalingrad
-You have your command almost wiped out to take a block of ruins and a few days later when you have received replacments you make an effort to take another block etc etc
No room to maneuver cause if do maneuver you run into the friendly troops on your flanks and that is a big nono in urban combat: there would LOTS of friendly fire
Unable to maneuver you throw your troops straight into the meatgrinder.
Where´s the fun in that? Mobile campaigns is the way to go Voyrep

Post #: 20
- 1/28/2002 6:12:00 PM   
Unknown_Enemy

Sorry guys. First, stalingrad is a very small thing for a whole megacampaign, may be something like leningrad would be better suited. Second : trying to have matrix doing a mega camp on the eastern front when they are on the process of creating a brand new game, successor of SPWAW who'll be dealing first hand with that part of the war.... That seems to me a bit of wishful thinking. Just ask for italy or france, even if I am not overconfident to see another megacamp for SPWAW (sigh). Oh well, we'll just try to ask nicely Master Bill.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Yaah ! Yaah ! Cthulhu fhtagn ! Cthulhu fhtagn !

Post #: 21
- 1/28/2002 7:13:00 PM   
alassi

Please NO more German side MC..why not a Finnish Winter War MC??

Sgt.A.Lassi FwdObserver 2nd Arctic Mortar Platoon I19/P5--Hell is not hot,its cold.

Post #: 22
- 1/28/2002 8:56:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Fundementally speaking....... Just how many Mega Campaigns period end of story should we expect? Considering all the fuss flack and division over this that or the other version. That coupled with Matrix fully expecting to release Combat Leader some day (which will essentially be doing all this Mega Campaign stuff aaaaaaaall over again). Is there any wisdom expecting any Mega Campaigns post release of Combat Leader at all? Me I want to see more more more (like everyone else). I want to see CL too I guess. And if I get CL; if its better; whats the point of pursuing SPWaW beyond fondness for an old game thats had its day (I dont play basic Squad Leader, nor pursue any materials devoted to it for a reason after all). Hard questions I guess. If the community and Matrix refuses to let it go (SPWaW), I guess we will see more MC get released. But each effort not in pursuit of CL will just take from its potential as a respectable successor. Glad I wont be making the choices I guess. I would liklely buy more Mega Campaigns with or without CL if they are worthy. But money doesnt fall out of the sky like rain. Where would our duty to Matrix be? To buy generously of Mega campaigns and expend are potential to purchase CL?

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 23
- 1/29/2002 10:53:00 AM   
darroch

Food for thought: If German side, why not do 13th Panzer Division? Meaning the Don Basin to the Manych River to the Caucausus (mountainizer op) then the long retreat back barely making it through Rostov or maybe defending against Russian amphib landings in the Kuban... If Russian side, the Drive to the Dnieper post-Zitadelle would be awesome - starting Aug 3rd near Kharkov - can you liberate Kiev despite Manstein's best efforts? By the way, we have about 18 battles in a campaign game format starting in July 1942 and going through December 1942 outside of Rostov - over half are built and tested and the rest are in various states of design or test - they are designed for a Russian multi-company core and re-use many of the Stalingrad maps...these are part of 35+ battle campaign game that started last year and is headed towards releasing 8 battles at a time every couple of months with a goal of 24 battles by June 22. We welcome help to get this completed. The first four battles are available as a beta product now.

Post #: 24
- 1/29/2002 3:55:00 PM   
Tuomas Seijavuori

quote:

Originally posted by alassi:
Please NO more German side MC..why not a Finnish Winter War MC??
I take it you haven't got enough of the Cold Will: Finland 1939-1940 campaign (from Novastar) for SP1 yet? I wonder if they'd allow me to re-make it for SPWAW.

Post #: 25
- 1/29/2002 7:44:00 PM   
richmonder

I never even knew about that campaign. I would love to see it.

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 26
- 1/30/2002 1:05:00 AM   
Frank W.

quote:

Originally posted by voyrep:
Stalingrad was a meatgrinder
I don´t think it sounds very exciting to have
a megacampaign take place in Stalingrad
-You have your command almost wiped out to take a block of ruins and a few days later when you have received replacments you make an effort to take another block etc etc
No room to maneuver cause if do maneuver you run into the friendly troops on your flanks and that is a big nono in urban combat: there would LOTS of friendly fire
Unable to maneuver you throw your troops straight into the meatgrinder.
Where´s the fun in that? Mobile campaigns is the way to go Voyrep

agreed!!! stalingrad was a crime - the ****in´idea of 2 madmen.

Post #: 27
- 1/30/2002 3:56:00 AM   
11Bravo

Very interested in another MC. Not interested in Stalingrad. Tired of playing the German side. Would like to see someone new, preferably with Finns, UK, or Canadians. Megacampaign Winter War? Or, if it had to be from a German perspective, do a 1939-40 theme. Race around through Poland, Belgium, France, etc. Drop in on the Danes for brunch and the Norwegians for lunch. The variety and early war weapons might make that very fun. Call it MegaCampaign Blitzkrieg - Europe in Flames.

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

Post #: 28
- 1/30/2002 6:09:00 AM   
Matt

Personally, I would love to see more megacampaigns. It this is a way to keep SPWAW vital for a bit longer, I am all for pretty much any megacampaign that comes (provided of course that they keep the same high standard or variety, challenge, etc.) However, as others have said, the German side on the Eastern front I think has been covered fairly well already, though I wouldn't rule it out in the future. I would really like to see an Ardennes MC from the American side, say from the perspective of a small unit in the US 2nd Division, or 7th, 9th, maybe even 4th Armored Division. There are a huge number of possibilities here. There are other good theaters and perspectives to be seen in potential MCs that I think could be interesting: 1939 USSR vs Japan in Manchuria, Japan in China (also early war), the Chindits in Burma, USSR in Berlin or in Operation Bagration, perhaps even a fictional campaign. Thoughts? Matt

IYACYAS

Post #: 29
- 1/30/2002 8:02:00 AM   
magresh

There were alot of battles in and around Stalingrad that had nothing to do with streetfighting. It would be interesting to introduce some of these to gamers who only see block to block, hand to hand as the only battles which took placed in Stalingrad. That said, I would still elect to see the Italian campaign next, starting with Salerno. Core unit could be U.S., but mixed in with ranger, commando and British missions. Whatever the final decision Matrix makes,we all win. Magresh

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Consensus On a Stalingrad Mega Campaign Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI