Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

About a book..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> About a book.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
About a book.. - 1/28/2002 8:11:00 PM   
alassi

Hi all! For a couple a years ago i´ve read a book about some USMC men, who was fighting in Guadalcanal. The story began in training camp, and how those very different men grow closer to eachother. I remembered one of the characters in that book, and that was a large marine named "Seabags". I appreciated that book a lot, but somehow i lost it Can someone please tell me what that book´s name was? Regards..

Sgt.A.Lassi FwdObserver 2nd Arctic Mortar Platoon I19/P5--Hell is not hot,its cold.
Post #: 1
- 1/28/2002 10:38:00 PM   
wulfir

It might have been ”Battle Cry” by Leon Uris. It’s a novel (fiction) that deals with some men (if I’m not wrong a signals platoon) in the 2nd Marine division during training and later combat at places like Guadalcanal and Tarawa.

Semper in Primis

(in reply to alassi)
Post #: 2
- 1/29/2002 6:02:00 AM   
Lost Lieutenant

There's another book that sounds like that called "With the Old Breed". Starts in training, moves on to Tarawa and Pelieliu, then Okinawa. It's non-fiction, great read.

The Lost Lieutenant
"You can't spell 'lost' without 'LT'"

(in reply to alassi)
Post #: 3
- 1/29/2002 9:55:00 AM   
Matt

I thing the book that you are referring to is "Helmet for My Pillow" by Leckie. I don't recall his first name. I read it not too long ago and it at least provided some entertainment. I think that the author may have adapted and fictionalized his memoirs. I have not researched it personally, though I am sure if he did do that he took a bit of literary license, but its at least a good read. I particularly liked the way all of the characters had a descriptor for their name (ie, Captain Highhips, Lieutenant Big Picture, Lieutanant Commando, Lieutenant Ivy League, and the Runner, etc.) Anyone know anything else about this book who could shed a bit more light? Matt

IYACYAS

(in reply to alassi)
Post #: 4
- 2/8/2002 6:53:00 PM   
alassi

Wulfir !! Thats was the book i was wondering about,thanks!!

Sgt.A.Lassi FwdObserver 2nd Arctic Mortar Platoon I19/P5--Hell is not hot,its cold.

(in reply to alassi)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> About a book.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI