Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Frustrated by Desert Fox

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Frustrated by Desert Fox Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Frustrated by Desert Fox - 1/31/2002 6:05:00 AM   
chpo

I have still not completed the first scenario in Desert Fox and I am already rather cross... So far, the program has dumped me back to the desktop at least four times! And, as you cannot save the game and it only makes a save when you exit everything is lost! I get the drift that you want to prevent people from cheating, but why not do it like all other games and make an autosave after every turn?? Anyway the major problem is that the program crashes. Is there a patch available? I had SPWaW 6.1 installed prior to installing Desert Fox, is this megacampaign incompatible with 6.1?

Electronic soldiers leave no electronic widows
Post #: 1
- 1/31/2002 6:22:00 AM   
Supervisor

The first thing you need to do is upgrade to SPWAW 7.0 when we beta tested it we made sure it corrected the crash to desktop problem some people had with Desert Fox. Also make sure under preferences that Command and Control is off if your running anything higher than Win 98 SE. Also click here The Armor Site for a patch for Desert Fox that fixes some enomolies with icons and unloading and loading of units but not crashes thats in the SPWAW 7.0 upgrade. [ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 2
- 1/31/2002 2:32:00 PM   
chpo

Thanks, I will try to upgrade as soon as possible then!

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 3
- 1/31/2002 10:21:00 PM   
Wild Bill

When these things happen, there is also a standard drill to follow. Delete the steel.prf file from your save directory in the SPWAW game (not in the Mega Cam directory). Reboot your computer. Since it will start, I'm assuming that you have the Desert Fox-41.cfg file inside your MegaCam directory. Are you starting fresh each time or trying to load from a save file? It would be better to start fresh. Be sure you get the patch. It is not a major item but it will remove what are called "ghost" units. Let us know how you do, CHPO. Quite a number have already played MCNA all the way through. You should be able to do so too. WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 4
- 2/1/2002 3:00:00 PM   
chpo

Thanks, Wild Bill, I'm doing allright so far. I only played 5 turns yesterday - the real world kept interrupting! Anyway, so far, things work fine. Just to be sure I removed SPWaw and installed first DF with 5.3, then the upgrade to 6.1 and then the 7.0 version. (Btw - there is a bug in the uninstall process. I had installed to C:\Games\Steel P..., not the default C:\MatrixGames\Steel P..., and the uninstall script complained that it could not find information from C:\Matrixgames\... I guess this proves that I am the first one ever trying to uninstall SPWaW ) And, just to be sure, I made an exit from the game whenever my turn should start, just to get a save file. If I did it before the opponents turn, I found that units could move again when I loaded the save file and that was just confusing. Anyway, the precautions have so far proven unnecessary! I still don't understand why the autosave is not made after every turn though - suppose you have been pressing your opponent for three hours and have victory within your grasp and then there is a power cut....

(in reply to chpo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Frustrated by Desert Fox Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI