Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bombed out of supression?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Bombed out of supression? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bombed out of supression? - 8/12/2004 3:25:41 PM   
vulkansanex

Hi again.

Can ayone explain the following phenomenon:
If you look at troops getting hit by artillery - and any incoming fire - in the computers turn - you can often see units that had no number or + on them (becacuse they were supressed) get their number/+ back after the shot landed.

Does this mean that units in the computer turn do an automatic rally after theyve recieved damage/supression?

And alsw WHY does gerry ski-troops have an + and not a number??
Did they end up in a special weapon slot - or is there a more sinister purpose to this?
Post #: 1
RE: Bombed out of supression? - 8/12/2004 3:30:00 PM   
FNG

Units getting shot at or shelled have a chance of 'rallying under fire'. I have no idea how this works, but in all recent versions of SPWAW that I can remember, a unit could change status from Retreating to Pinned and return fire (if it is direct fire that caused it).

IIRC, Ski troops have a '+' because some part of the code 'sees' them as a vehicle-type rather than infantry. Could be wrong on this, but it sounds plausible :)

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to vulkansanex)
Post #: 2
RE: Bombed out of supression? - 8/12/2004 9:33:02 PM   
rbrunsman

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense: Say you are retreating or routed. What are you doing? Running for your life. Now, suppose bombs start dropping around you as you run. In every movie I've seen or book I've read, when the bombs start falling, soldiers start to try to get to the bottom of ANY hole they can find. That would be "pinned" in game terms. Simple right?

As for ending up "ready" IIRC, that's a special feature of Russian units when they are in a defend scenario. They can simply decide to turn around and fight (i.e. change from retreat/routed to ready). I guess it's better to face the Germans than your own MG toting Commissars that will shoot you as you run towards them.

rb

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 3
RE: Bombed out of supression? - 8/13/2004 12:12:43 AM   
Procrustes

So in terms of the game, don't start shooting at that routed unit if you want it to keep routing - it may stop and start shooting back instead.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 4
RE: Bombed out of supression? - 8/13/2004 1:40:55 AM   
Major Destruction

Oh absolutely!
I can't count how many times have I moved up a tank to find one of my opponent's tanks sitting routed in front of me. Foolishly, I fire at it and miss - then the enemy tank fires back and destroys my tank. So I move up and second tank and guess what? 0 for 2!

Best thing is to move up all your tanks then start shooting. If the enemy tank 'sees' that he is outnumbered, he is less likely to rally enough to shoot back accurately.

Or, you can move on past the routed enemy tank - he will not spot you- and bring up a less expensive unit such as an Inf -AT unit to attempt a close assault.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 5
RE: Bombed out of supression? - 8/13/2004 6:23:27 AM   
tracer

Its also a good idea to have one of your distant units take a shot at the routed/retreating enemy unit before you have nearby units engage it: your 'hit chance' against it will go up quite a bit when its status changes to buttoned/pinned.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 6
RE: Bombed out of supression? - 8/14/2004 2:58:03 AM   
panda124c

quote:

ORIGINAL: Procrustes

So in terms of the game, don't start shooting at that routed unit if you want it to keep routing - it may stop and start shooting back instead.

If it's infantry overruns are great.

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 7
RE: Bombed out of supression? - 8/14/2004 4:22:17 AM   
Major Destruction

Hey guys, success!
Just tested my theory in a PBEM.

In my last turn I mortared a PzIV and StuG in the same hex with two 81mm mortars.
The PzIV was pinned/buttoned and the StuG was routed.

I this turn, I moved up a Stuart to 3 hexes- no reaction.

Moved up a Sherman to 2 hexes, no reaction.

Moved up a Lee to adjacent hex- no reaction.
Moved up a second Sherman to 3 hexes, no reaction
Moved up the Stuart and first Sherman to adjacent hexes, no reaction.

Fired the First sherman at the PzIV and scored a hit. Fired 3 more times and scored a kill.

Lee fired at the StuG and scored a kill.

Stuart moved on looking for more victims. Lee moved up and killed a routed infantry squad.

Nice work!

Moved mortars to new location.

< Message edited by Major Destruction -- 8/13/2004 6:24:28 PM >

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to panda124c)
Post #: 8
RE: Bombed out of supression? - 8/17/2004 6:25:12 PM   
RockinHarry

The game manual says the follwing:

Retreated and routed units will not suffer as much fire (the firepower of those shooting at them is halved). Retreated units will often return fire if fired upon and, if doggedly pursued, can go to pinned status. Routed units are running head long for the rear and will only occasionally defend themselves, but can decide to put up a fight if continually fired upon.

I think retreating/routing units and vehicles in particular are assumed to dash backwards in a wild zig-zag pattern to avoid beeing hit, thus the halved firepower applied at them.

As tracer and Major D aready said, just get them to stop by firing at them with distant (rather ineffective) units and apply the final kill with a high power unit that has not moved and has suppression of 0 (no suppression).

Ski infantry and the (+) sign: Could be it´s a leftover from a SPWAW version where these were converted from Infantry SAM!?

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Bombed out of supression? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI