Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Against the unfair limitations of US production!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Against the unfair limitations of US production! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 6:18:46 AM   
fbastos

The other side of unfairness:

If the Japanese can control their production, the US should too! If the Japanese player can choose unhistorical options, the US player should too (as long as unhistorical options would produce handicaps that the player would have to live with).

I know, I know, the Allied player has some limited control. My point is that he should have similar control as the Japanese.

Rants, bashing, flames, all welcome.

Regards,
F.
Post #: 1
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 6:26:44 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Oooh.............no.

What control does the Allied player have? Zip-zingo that I know of.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 2
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 6:38:29 AM   
fbastos

I'm learning from the other threads... I was going to write that the US has no control, but then someone would point out that "oh, but you can choose repair on/off".

So to avoid arguing about that rather than my initial point, I corrected it to "partial control"... :)

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 3
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 7:27:45 AM   
BossGnome

ok put it this way: the US produces INSANELY more than the japanese. Until the Japs take the "economic sphere" the production is like 7-1, and once they take it, it drops to about 2-1. So at least give the poor bastards some control bfore you smash em!

also, have you noticed that a lot of US stuff comes not from factories, but from Europe? So you'd expect to go to your general "Oi mate! Gimme that grand ol' battleship 'ere for me war"

"Trooper I have told you we need it for operation torch!"

"Operation torch my ass! I need to take back Guam!"

umm...no.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 4
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 7:39:30 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbastos

If the Japanese can control their production, the US should too!
I started learning this game from the Japanese side and haven’t gotten to the Allied side yet so...

Question: is there any point in the player controlling US production? Is there a shortage of P-38s, P-47s and P-51s in 1944/45?

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 5
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 7:40:35 AM   
2ndACR

Not likely.

(in reply to Culiacan Mexico)
Post #: 6
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 7:52:18 AM   
fbastos

Wouldn't you be able to advance research and make a P-51 available earlier on?

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 7
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 7:56:26 AM   
2ndACR

The P51 was in use by the Brits very early on. I think 1942 or so. They called it something else though.

If you look at the A36 Apache, I believe it is a P51B.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 8
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:01:27 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR
Not likely.

I would have thought that when exploring historical ‘what ifs’ operational usage would be of more interest to the US player than producing more P-47s. Historical production ‘what ifs’ are more of a Japanese issue, at least late war.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 9
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:04:05 AM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR
Not likely.

I would have thought that when exploring historical ‘what ifs’ operational usage would be of more interest to the US player than producing more P-47s. Historical production ‘what ifs’ are more of a Japanese issue, at least late war.

You would think.

Post #: 10
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:06:19 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

Wouldn't you be able to advance research and make a P-51 available earlier on?
First let me say, I never have agreed with how research is modeled in the game.

There is only so much development that can be done on any one aircraft and in the case of the P-51… wasn’t there already considerable ‘need’ in Europe for such an aircraft? I am not sure the War in the Pacific was the driving force behind this aircrafts development. IMO

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 11
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:17:21 AM   
fbastos

quote:

There is only so much development that can be done on any one aircraft and in the case of the P-51… wasn’t there already considerable ‘need’ in Europe for such an aircraft? I am not sure the War in the Pacific was the driving force behind this aircrafts development. IMO

That's a good point. I also think it was due to the "Germany first" approach.

F

Post #: 12
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:20:34 AM   
Sultanofsham

quote:

If the Japanese can control their production, the US should too! If the Japanese player can choose unhistorical options, the US player should too (as long as unhistorical options would produce handicaps that the player would have to live with).

Not going to happen. About the only thing that can be done Is with the editor at this point.

Sci-fi channel SUCKS.

One of the true tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency.
-- Arnold H. Glasow

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 13
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:20:39 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

quote:

That's a good point. I also think it was due to the "Germany first" approach.

F
No disagreement from me.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 14
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:22:10 AM   
fbastos

So there is no fun whatsoever to be gained in letting the Allied player control production?

I take my question back if not.

As for myself, I do like the freedom of going for alternative approaches - like giving up on all of my F4F and live with the Buffalos for a year in order to have the F6F earlier on. Take on the risks to have a shorter war - good fun! :)

F.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 15
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:22:27 AM   
Sultanofsham

quote:

Yeah, if they'd rip it out I wouldnt miss the thing at all.

Sci-fi channel SUCKS.

One of the true tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency.
-- Arnold H. Glasow

Post #: 16
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:26:38 AM   
fbastos

quote:

Not going to happen. About the only thing that can be done Is with the editor at this point.

Yeah, I know...

Perhaps when Gary Grisby goes for "War in The Atlantic"!

F.

(in reply to Sultanofsham)
Post #: 17
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:40:09 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

So there is no fun whatsoever to be gained in letting the Allied player control production?

I take my question back if not.

As for myself, I do like the freedom of going for alternative approaches - like giving up on all of my F4F and live with the Buffalos for a year in order to have the F6F earlier on. Take on the risks to have a shorter war - good fun! :)

F.
I think ‘research’ would be interesting if modeled well, but ‘as is’ the player knows too much. You know the P-51D will perform as ‘XXX’, which the historical designers didn’t… so the smart player will pour research into this aircraft.

I also like alternate approach, but very much understand the feelings of those who don’t want these historical ‘what ifs’ imposed on them. It would have been interesting if there were a wider variety of options available… like Allied research to let players adjust the game to their interest/enjoyment.

PS. ‘As is’ WitP is a great game.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 18
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:43:12 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sultanofsham
quote:

Yeah, if they'd rip it out I wouldnt miss the thing at all.
Agreed.

I don’t use it… well the game starts of with a number of aircraft being ‘researched’, but I don’t increase them or add any new factories to research.

(in reply to Sultanofsham)
Post #: 19
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 8:56:48 AM   
Maliki

Well unlike Japan the US did not have the luxury of only fighting a "one" front war.Okay say production is included for the US player,not even taking into account the other allied nations represented.Now you would have to decide which assests,and how much,went to the PTO and to the ETO.You just can't represent American production and manpower at 100% of capacity because Japan would simply be overwhelmed by it in a short time.You would have to figure out a system where the player would commit so many resources to the latter and to the former.There would have to be consequences for doing too much of one or another.They would have to model out of theater results,or arbitrially decide how much of such and such went here or there during the war.I'm sure it could be done either way,but at a huge cost of time and headaches to the proggramers and developers..and even then you would have complaints like i wanted to send 500 LSTs to the PTO but the game said i could only send 200,or why did it say D-day failed and germany conquered England just because i sent everything i had to the other theater.Not just that but as i said earlier that you are dealing with many different nations(and not just one) would make this a nightmare.How do you model Dutch,British,Austrailian,Chinese..etc manpower and resources all within the limitations of the game system?You can't unless you want to make it ten times more complicated then it is already.

Just my two cents and some hot air.

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

Post #: 20
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 9:33:50 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

I know, I know, the Allied player has some limited control. My point is that he should have similar control as the Japanese.

Obviously you have never tried to fight with the convoluted hoop-jumping involved
in trying to use Japanese Production or you wouldn't suggest trying to deal with the
huge US economy in this system. It would be a massive task..., not to mention
requiring the entire US to be on the map so you can junt through every hex looking
for factories.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 21
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 9:44:57 AM   
fbastos

quote:

Obviously you have never tried to fight with the convoluted hoop-jumping involved
in trying to use Japanese Production or you wouldn't suggest trying to deal with the
huge US economy in this system. It would be a massive task..., not to mention
requiring the entire US to be on the map so you can junt through every hex looking
for factories.

Uh? I didn't mean to replicate the US economy. Just put some factories in United States and that's it. Initially set the factories to produce what they are already programmed to build, so if one doesn't want to mess with production, just leave them alone and you play the game as it is now. Otherwise go and try to get them early F6F! :)

< Message edited by fbastos -- 8/19/2004 7:45:30 AM >

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 22
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 9:51:27 AM   
fbastos

quote:

Now you would have to decide which assests,and how much,went to the PTO and to the ETO.

Yeah, nobody would like that. I would be happy just in tweaking the production around a bit, specially on taking some (possibly heavy) penalty in order to get some aircrafts earlier on.

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 23
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 10:28:23 AM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

Yeah, nobody would like that. I would be happy just in tweaking the production around a bit, specially on taking some (possibly heavy) penalty in order to get some aircrafts earlier on.
Be careful, it might work like the Japanese system… you can get them early, but you can’t use them.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 24
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 4:20:15 PM   
Buck Beach

Hmmm! This thread seems to me to be a back door attack to the fanatics on the other upgrade aircraft threads. I think it is funnier than hell.

(in reply to fbastos)
Post #: 25
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 6:27:28 PM   
strawbuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

Hmmm! This thread seems to me to be a back door attack to the fanatics on the other upgrade aircraft threads. I think it is funnier than hell.

Just what I was thinking - though I don't see tham as fanatics. Much. As I half agree with them. Sometimes.

Let's get back to bulldozers. I really understood the bulldozer argument.

Twinkle twinkle PBY
Seeking Kido Bu-tai
Flying o' the sea so high
An ill-omen in the sky
Twinkle twinkle PBY
Pointing out who's next to fry

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 26
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 6:33:18 PM   
vonmoltke

I don't think either side should have control over their production, but I seem to be in a smaller minority than those who want both sides to control it.

This space reserved for future expansion

(in reply to strawbuk)
Post #: 27
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 6:36:51 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

quote:

If the Japanese can control their production, the US should too!
I started learning this game from the Japanese side and haven’t gotten to the Allied side yet so...

Question: is there any point in the player controlling US production? Is there a shortage of P-38s, P-47s and P-51s in 1944/45?

The issue, by mid/late 1944 with the Allied player is "where am I going to put all this stuff"! there are only so many bases.....

Post #: 28
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 6:41:45 PM   
strawbuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

[
The issue, by mid/late 1944 with the Allied player is "where am I going to put all this stuff"! there are only so many bases.....

Yeah espeically with all those bulldozers - they take up lot of room.

Twinkle twinkle PBY
Seeking Kido Bu-tai
Flying o' the sea so high
An ill-omen in the sky
Twinkle twinkle PBY
Pointing out who's next to fry

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 29
RE: Against the unfair limitations of US production! - 8/19/2004 6:43:18 PM   
vonmoltke

quote:

ORIGINAL: strawbuk

Yeah espeically with all those bulldozers - they take up lot of room.

You could have'em build practice targets for the Navy and Marines to blow up. That oughta keep'em busy.

This space reserved for future expansion

(in reply to strawbuk)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Against the unfair limitations of US production! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI