Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

10 yard hexes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> 10 yard hexes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10 yard hexes - 2/8/2002 8:18:00 PM   
Del

Here's a question I've pondered from time to time. If a hex is ten or twenty-five yards, how would that effect weapon range and penetration? Or if the hexes were one hundred yards? Were the values in SP3 the same as SP2 but divided by four to allow for 200 yards per hex?

Yea though I walk through the Valley of Death I shall fear NO evil for Thou art with me.
Post #: 1
- 2/8/2002 8:45:00 PM   
Major_Johnson

quote:

Originally posted by Del:
Here's a question I've pondered from time to time. If a hex is ten or twenty-five yards, how would that effect weapon range and penetration? Or if the hexes were one hundred yards? Were the values in SP3 the same as SP2 but divided by four to allow for 200 yards per hex?
Not that I can answer your question, but I was always under the opinion that the hexes in SPWAW represented 50 yards. Has this changed??

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 2
- 2/8/2002 9:18:00 PM   
Warhorse

The hexes are 50 meters. SP3 did have 200 meter hexes, there was some weird thing, when using kobhack, that the hexes were in 50 meter, then the program rounded them, or something like that!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 3
- 2/8/2002 9:36:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

SP:WaW has a grunch of things under the hood that assume ~50m per hex. changing the scale will screw up a lot of things. Combat leader will be more flexible with a choice of 25, 50 , or 100m hexes.

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 4
- 2/8/2002 10:16:00 PM   
Bing

Just a friendly reminder. One meter = 39" = 1.1 yards. A hex in SPW@W is therefore 55 yards = 165 feet. Some say it makes no difference. I say give me ten percent of everything you have, it will make a difference. The 39" equivalent is on the Q&D (Quick and Dirty) side, but close enough not to matter to anyone who is not a scientist by profession. I'm a professional loafer so it is dead on for myself. If you are calculating range and think 1000 meters = 1000 yards in real life terms you might be real dead, real quick. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 5
- 2/8/2002 11:02:00 PM   
Charles2222

Paul Vebber:
quote:

Combat leader will be more flexible with a choice of 25, 50 , or 100m hexes.
Am I correct in thinking, that a smaller hex if hit by artillery will be more likely to damage the unit in it, and that artillery will be more likely to scatter from it's target (hitting a 100m hex would be easier than hitting a specific 25m one)? IOW, watching one unit on a smaller hexed map would provide the misses with a very noticeable scatter as opposed to the 100m hex scatter. Correct?

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 6
- 2/9/2002 12:51:00 AM   
Svennemir

Heh, I heard that Mars Polar Lander crashed because someone screwed with yards and metres But AFAIK 1 hex = 50yards ~ 45metres, not 50m. At least that's what it says if you press @ in the game.

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 7
- 2/9/2002 12:54:00 AM   
Del

Thank you Mr Vebber for the reply. SPWAW has had allot of code changes so I can understand how changing the scale could totally screw with the game. Does anyone know if the same would be true of SP1, SP2 or SP3 which, by the way, were both made with hexes measured in yards per the original game manuals: "each hex equals about fifty yards" or "each hex equals about two hundred yards".

Yea though I walk through the Valley of Death I shall fear NO evil for Thou art with me.

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 8
- 2/9/2002 1:21:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

OK-you got me 50 yards... I consider them about the same for government work we aren;t landing on Mars here, I don;t know many folks who can estimate range to within 50yards! CL measures distance in meters it keeps track of everything in m and rounds to hexes when it needs to. Since its using what will be VERY similar routines to what will be in Close Assault (with no hexes) its easier that way. So yes, more rounds will land in a target hex at 100m, but the chance of a unit in that hex being affected are less. Artillery impact "footprints" and impact coordinates are calculated indendantly of the hex grid and then the "footprint" is placed on the hex grid so to speak to see what hexes are affected. THere will be some sort of a fudge for hexes that are "partially" covered.

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 9
- 2/9/2002 2:21:00 AM   
Capt Chris

I don't know many folks who can estimate range to within 50yards! You're not a golfer are you?

Capt Chris

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 10
- 2/9/2002 2:36:00 AM   
Bing

Now when the heck was it changed? Always before the hex was 50 METERS. I'm sure it was - anyone know why it was changed? I am looking at the Manual (granted, it is dated April 2001) and it sez: "Scale Each terrain tile in the game (called a hex)is 50 meters or about 50 yards across ...." So why did someone change it to 45 yards or whatever? I's confused, I is, of course I get that way easily, but this rreally DOES seem confused. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 11
- 2/9/2002 2:59:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

All I know for sure is CL is meters Even Golfers can only do it to about 400yards (er meters) How many of them would change clubs if the caddy said, "er I meant 189 m, not yards"

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 12
- 2/13/2002 1:19:00 AM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Bing:
Now when the heck was it changed? Always before the hex was 50 METERS. I'm sure it was - anyone know why it was changed? I am looking at the Manual (granted, it is dated April 2001) and it sez: "Scale Each terrain tile in the game (called a hex)is 50 meters or about 50 yards across ...." So why did someone change it to 45 yards or whatever? I's confused, I is, of course I get that way easily, but this rreally DOES seem confused. Bing

It's 50 meters but for us who can't think in meters it's about 50 yards.

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 13
- 2/13/2002 1:31:00 AM   
Nikademus

SP-1 documented the hexes as equivilent to 50 yards. Then when SP-2 came around suddenly the hexes were being documented in 'meters' Personally i think they changed the wording only just to make what was essentially the same game engine (abeit heavily modified) look more 'modern' to suit the environment it was attempting to portray. SP-III continued this tradition documenting hexes in meters. Never saw any direct evidence that the game engine had been changed to acct for this small difference in distance measurement, i think 'hex spaces' still ruled the day. Paul can correct me if i'm wrong. Certainly in WAW you can freely toggle between having distances displayed in either 'hex' or 'yards' or 'meters' My personal preference is in 'yards'. Most of my dusty tombs use nice comfy archaic english measurements when describing battle situations. Oddly enough though....the one exception to my comfort level with the old girl is that i'm schooled to compare AFV armor stats in metric. So when George Forty insists on describing Sherman stats in inch measurements i get confused ah life.....

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 14
- 2/13/2002 4:57:00 AM   
Belisarius

quote:

Originally posted by Svennemir:
Heh, I heard that Mars Polar Lander crashed because someone screwed with yards and metres But AFAIK 1 hex = 50yards ~ 45metres, not 50m. At least that's what it says if you press @ in the game.

That should be right. IIRC 1 yard= ~92 cm, or 0.92m (if some of you should have trouble converting a base 10 unit... ) The other way around: 1 yard=3 feet, right? 1 foot = 12 inches. 1 inch = 2.54 cm (and that's the precise, not an approximation!)
So backwards again: 2.54 x 12 x 3 = 0.9144 m/yard. 50 yards = ~45 metres.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Del)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> 10 yard hexes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI