Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

7.1 coming...but the boat is slow...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> 7.1 coming...but the boat is slow... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7.1 coming...but the boat is slow... - 2/12/2002 3:02:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Thought I could get the OOBs done this weeknd, obviously didn't make it. Looks to be a few more days...real life keeps rearing its ugly head

Post #: 1
- 2/12/2002 3:14:00 AM   
MacCready

Paul you folks have already gone far above and beyond with this tired old code,I hope you approach Combat Leader in the same way! In other words,anytime you finish it is fine with me. Is Combat Leader done yet?And what of the forgotten Close Assualt Game?

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
- 2/12/2002 3:32:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

We are about 6 weeks form a playable Combat Leader Beta. That means it cout be 6 or it could some number of weeks greater than 6... Close Asault is not forgotten, we can only work one at a time...All in good time.

Post #: 3
- 2/12/2002 4:19:00 AM   
MacCready

Not a problem,I couldn't code it faster myself,
wait thats a joke,I couldn't code it at all... I do have C++,Is that what you are using?
Your last post does shed some light on things,
I was under the false impression that various groups were working on the various projects.
I didn't realize everything was being done one at a time. Honestly, Do you think you have to many orrs in the water? Os rather irons in the fire? I thought that Uncommon Valor was currently on deck?

Post #: 4
- 2/12/2002 4:33:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

To take a quote from Paul Masson, 'Matrix will sell no game before its time!". So far, so good. Keep the great games/MCs coming! Eric Maietta

Post #: 5
- 2/12/2002 4:55:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Our team concept seems to be working pretty well. We have three main types of teams, we have the exxternal partners doing projects like Starships Unlimited, La Grande Armee at Austerlitz, Korsun Pocket, etc - they are independant of us and we work with them on the "production aspects" of their games or as requested. We have the "home grown" projects like Combat Leader/Close Assault (one team), Battleline (another team) and Uncommon Valor/WIPT (A cross between internal and team project as we are intimately involved in the programming as well as production aspects like graphics and sound. Then there are the "facelift projects" that are off on their own. That has not worked as quickly as we hoped, being somewhat more it turns out than a single programmer can work as quickly or as reliably as we had hoped. But they are coming too. So to make a long confusing story short, Combat Leader/Close Assault is to us a "single game". It will just have a turn - based hex map version and a realtime "painted map version". the two different methods of presentaiton limit some aspects, like the echelon (company/battalion in CA and battalion/regiment in CL). I'm not actively involved in the developemnt of other games, (except SP:WaW) and Tom Proudfoot the programmer is likewise focused on it. We are committed to it for the next several years to make it the best tactical 20th century combat game we can make it. Uncommon valor is being done by 2by3 and our Michael Wood with similar focus. I can't help but play it some (just like I'm sure Michael will spend some time giving CL a spin) but neither of us are critically involved in each others projects. unfortunately Matrix is and likely will always be a part time job for me, so I'm stuck with a limited amount of time to deveote to it each week. But we have made several choices meant to improve quality (an AI enhancement being the lastes) that have delayed things a bit, but we still hope to be in initial Beata before the end of March and full Beta by the end of April with release by the end of spring (or close to it)- but there are no promises! Close Assault: East Front will then follow, and then we will move to the Cold War Modern version if all goes well! Jumping back and forth on a 3-4 month between release schedule until we get the 20th century (and a bit of the 21st)in both game formats done. SOmewhere in there we want to do a "common" operational "layer" that players can use for campaigning - basically an area movement based sort of thing like the old Avalon hill area movement games only where you use the CA/CL game to resolve the battles. Its an ambitious project and could all told be 12+ games. But hey, it keeps me off the street at night! ANd CA/CL is in many respects a "Single game" sharing graphics, OOBs, combat routines, etc. [ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

Post #: 6
- 2/12/2002 7:07:00 AM   
Grimm

Thanks for the update.

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

Post #: 7
- 2/12/2002 7:21:00 AM   
Venger

I just KNEW that Paul mentioning last weekend as a hopeful date for the 7.1 release was the kiss of death for seeing it last weekend! Ah well, the 7.1 beta fixed the synch problem real nice, I can wait for the final 7.1 and it's updated OOB's... Venger

Post #: 8
- 2/12/2002 8:54:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

My thanks to all the Matrix people who labor far more for love than money, I'm sure. I look foward to the final patch of SPWAW, certainly. But to think the CL is reaching a Beta stage is electrifying news!

All Hail Marx and Lennon

Post #: 9
- 2/12/2002 4:47:00 PM   
gnoccop

VERY GOOD NEWS. THANKYOU!

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

Post #: 10
- 2/12/2002 9:53:00 PM   
hingram

If you ever need a programming resource, let me know. I'm not going to quit my job but I think it would be fun to take over an old game and do enhancements.

Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.

Post #: 11
- 2/12/2002 10:03:00 PM   
mogami

quote:

Originally posted by Hank:
If you ever need a programming resource, let me know. I'm not going to quit my job but I think it would be fun to take over an old game and do enhancements.

Hey look at West Front Matrix has already done War in Russia and Pacific War but has not got to West Front yet, it suffers from several serious (game ruining) problems that could be fixed without too much work (I'm guessing LOL)
1. production pools can not be handed out-ie equippment types can not be changed alla WIR
(I once had over 1k ME-262 in pool and no piston engine aircraft but I could not change aircarft) 2. A mod could be done to do France 1940 or Sealion 3. The map and game system could probly be fiddled with and do WW1 (parts of anyways) If Matrix can get the code and you do the programming I would offer any service I could
(OB, testing, nitpicking)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 12
- 2/14/2002 4:11:00 AM   
sebagonzalez

Any news about the online save bug?

Mierda....y ahora...que corno hago?

Post #: 13
- 2/14/2002 5:56:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by sebagonzalez:
Any news about the online save bug?
I think whats happening here is this, when your opponent saves after you do, then your save game screen pops up again, then you save again, then he does again, then your screen pops up again and so on and so forth...
just save once, when the screen pops up again, just use your escape key to exit the screen.

Post #: 14
- 2/14/2002 9:17:00 AM   
sebagonzalez

You are totally correct alby, thats what happends, but the problem is, that is no meant to happend this way. In that process u mention is when the save game data becomes corrupted...and i want to be as accurate as posbile, so i can assure u that with this method 90 percent of the times the info gets corrupted. In V6.1 it just saves once and then u can reload safely your game. I know the alternative methods of sending your save game file to the oponent/s and so on, but this is not alos the way it is meant to work, and also, there are problems in this procedure, like being playing on turn 195 or so on. I am a fanatic online player of SPWAW so i can tell this backed up with experience. Hope it is solved when the final V7.1 is released.

Mierda....y ahora...que corno hago?

Post #: 15
- 2/14/2002 4:57:00 PM   
ubertechie

Mog
I would love to port mt sealion stuff across to CL and have plasn to expand it vastly
let me know
Cheers
Ubertechie

Post #: 16
- 2/14/2002 9:30:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

please see my post on the online save bug. Also 7.1 will be delayed until next weeek while we try to isolate the online save bug. IF you have teh Beta patch that creates teh log.txt file (NOT the "logfile.txt - that is an installation record) that would be helpful to see where teh code is going.. If you want the debug version of the patch please ask myself or gmenfan.

Post #: 17
- 2/14/2002 11:58:00 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

Originally posted by Mogami:

Hey look at West Front Matrix has already done War in Russia and Pacific War but has not got to West Front yet, it suffers from several serious (game ruining) problems that could be fixed without too much work (I'm guessing LOL)
1. production pools can not be handed out-ie equippment types can not be changed alla WIR
(I once had over 1k ME-262 in pool and no piston engine aircraft but I could not change aircarft) 2. A mod could be done to do France 1940 or Sealion 3. The map and game system could probly be fiddled with and do WW1 (parts of anyways) If Matrix can get the code and you do the programming I would offer any service I could
(OB, testing, nitpicking)

Hey Mogami, I also asked myself several times why "Western Front" haven´t been tackled by Matrix yet. I did lot of challenging "Overlords" against a human opponent some years ago and it was lots of fun.
If it even would be taken to the standards of original War in Russia, I would take some additional tours of duty! Grigsby´s Western Front is still one of my favourites! I don´t know of another game of that scope handling the Western Front with reasonably accuracy. I know some other west front games, but all sucked.. _________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

Post #: 18
- 2/15/2002 12:25:00 AM   
Supervisor

Paul V: Is next week realistic for 7.1 with you pulling reserve duty, you have to sleep sometime????? The beta's will hold us over until your return on the 23rd. Don't kill yourself over it. [ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

Post #: 19
- 2/15/2002 5:34:00 AM   
brianleeprice

Sometime tomorrow the v7.1 OOBs will reach my desk. At that point I will be addressing any known errors that can be corrected in the time allowed. The wilder ideas I've had and many of the issues that I've checked into will not be addressed in v7.1 due to the need to take a conservative route. (Scenario designers can breath a sigh of relief as can those of you who may have feared the OOBs had been turned over to a madman. ) At present it is planned to have the v7.1 OOBs completed by next week this time. This means I'm going to have somewhere around 40 hours at most to get everything in order. Although I have bounced the idea of a post v7.1 OOB update around quite a bit, it is quite possible that v7.1 may be the last update for quite some time. So the goal is to make v7.1 as error free as time allows. If you would like to assist in this effort, please stop by the #spwaw irc channel and be available to answer questions and run tests. I will post here the current OOB being examined so you can stop by and help out when the OOB you are most interested in is laid upon the operating table. When using the link in my tag line to the web based irc gateway, after joining enter the text:
/nick YourNick
This will change your irc name from the default spguest to the nickname you supply - nine character limit. Please use something close to what you do on the forums so that others can recognize you. Things that won't be done: No unit additions or removals. No questionable unit data changes (few unit data changes in any case and those should remain purely error corrections). No untested, unverified, modifications. Thank you for your assistance,
Brian PS: my sincerest apologies to those people I had talked with about unit additions for scenario design purposes - there just isn't time.

Post #: 20
- 2/15/2002 5:49:00 AM   
Supervisor

Don't sweat it Brian you've done a great job with the OOB's in the time allotted to you.

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> 7.1 coming...but the boat is slow... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI