Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Could a future patch/mod add...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Could a future patch/mod add... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 7:02:30 AM   
guv

i what to play to i kill every jap. what wrong with that

(in reply to samuraigg)
Post #: 31
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 7:06:32 AM   
Tankerace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
This negative "I've been ignored" stuff really bugs me ... if you don't like things, start your own game company and write your own game then you can have it just the way *you* want it. Thats the way the real world works. I have never seen a group that spent more time adding player requested improvements and features. If you want to give 2by3 a bad time, you are biting the very hand that feeds you. Who do you plan on whining to when they are gone?

If you really want a game to be exactly "the way *you* want it", you design and write it yourself. No need to form a game compnay to do so. If you want to sell it and earn a living from designing/writing games, then you form a game company. And as any good company should do, you listen to your customers. "Thats the way the real world works."

A company that listens and spends "time adding player requested improvements and features" is actually helping itself by making the game appeal more to the target audience. Not only that, they are also getting valuable feedback on how to make future games even more attractive to their paying customers. (BTW, it's actually the paying customers who are "feeding" 2By3/Matrix, not the other way round. ) If they continue to supply games that people are willing to buy, then they won't "disappear", unless individually they decide that they're tired of making games and want a change of direction.

The attitude that, this is the game we made, take it or leave it and stop whining, is symptomatic of a game made as a non-commercial hobby, or one from a company that isn't going to be around for too much longer. Personally, I don't believe 2By/Matrix fit either of these two descriptions.

I agree wholeheartedly. What separates MAtrix/2by3 from other companies is that they listen. It's for reasons like that that I went ahead and bought an $80 on the release date. And, provided that they continue their tradition of listening to customers, I'll do it again.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 32
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 7:06:40 AM   
Sultanofsham

quote:

If you want to give 2by3 a bad time, you are biting the very hand that feeds you.

Yes asking for an option in the game to go the long run is "biting the very hand that feeds you".

Sci-fi channel SUCKS.

One of the true tests of leadership is the ability to recognize a problem before it becomes an emergency.
-- Arnold H. Glasow

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 33
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 7:08:34 AM   
Tankerace

Not playing the game because they didn't listen, and never buying another game from them, now THAT is biting the hand that "feeds" me.

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to Sultanofsham)
Post #: 34
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 7:15:20 AM   
samuraigg

quote:

quote:

Hence, I am in favor of adding a toggle, so that those of us with AI games can turn off the autovictory.

Toggle requires artwork, programming, etc.

Editor requires nothing. Edit you solution, takes 2 minutes.

Its something that should really be done, especially for the people who may not visit this thread and know that they can use the editor to manipulate the game just to keep playing. What about people who started a game, played through until they were forced to quit, and find out they can't edit a savegame to keep playing. Sorry, start over, and go back 600 turns to edit the map just to ensure your next game won't end because you are winning/losing by too much?

Also.. what artwork? The options menu already has several toggles in it, just use the same graphics all the other toggles use.

quote:

There is not a game that exists where one side can't quit when they have had enough, good luck finding someone to continue to play a game beyond a 4:1 ratio.

Its called AI

quote:

Lets use programmers for stuff that actually requires their time.

I agree their time is valuable, and I appreciate any effort they put into this game. But I would hardly call adding a simple toggle to the game something not worth their time. Purely judging by the responses in this thread, its an option that's wanted by several members of the community, and hence, would help the game by having it added.

quote:

I'll add it to the list and we'll see what happens.

Thanks very much sir, we appreciate it.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 35
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 7:23:08 AM   
mogami

Hi, Is this a real problem or are we once again debating something that only exists in someones mind. First you have to get through 400 turns and have a 3 to 1 lead. if not then you have another 365 turns before you need a 4-1 lead.
If you do force an auto victory your saying that having destroyed the entire enemy force you want to spend another 800+ turns sailing around admiring yourself?
I'm all in favor of it. How hard can it be? However what I would do is once you have the 3-1 lead and before 1 Jan 1943 you switch sides.

(But it strikes me as kind of funny in that for some reason I keep picturing

The Game "You've won"
The Player " No I have not. There is still a PC at Port Arthur"

The only victory condition in WITP is the autovictory via point ratio. The actual allies did not attain it before 1945. (The Japanese if they ever had it lost it in May -June 1942)
Japanese auto victory means they have been on a constant rampage for 13 months. The chance of Allied autovictory prior to 1944 is so remote it's not worth the worry.

< Message edited by Mogami -- 8/26/2004 12:34:58 AM >

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to samuraigg)
Post #: 36
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 7:49:05 AM   
samuraigg

quote:

Hi, Is this a real problem or are we once again debating something that only exists in someones mind. First you have to get through 400 turns and have a 3 to 1 lead. if not then you have another 365 turns before you need a 4-1 lead.

Those 700 some turns takes a LOT of time and effort to complete, a player could become attached to his game, and want it seen played out as long as he desires (within the constraints of the time period of course); all the more reason why a user could be very upset that they were forced to quit a game they spent so much time on.

quote:

If you do force an auto victory your saying that having destroyed the entire enemy force you want to spend another 800+ turns sailing around admiring yourself?

I don't think that would be the case, the enemy would still have fight left in them. If the player wants to keep playing, why should he be stopped?

quote:

The Game "You've won"
The Player " No I have not. There is still a PC at Port Arthur"

A gross exaggeration. As I said before, there could still be plenty of fight left in the enemy.

If this was a matter that would take weeks upon weeks of programming to complete, it would be another story... but we would have to hear from the developers on that. But I'm guessing it would be easier than that.

quote:

The only victory condition in WITP is the autovictory via point ratio. The actual allies did not attain it before 1945. (The Japanese if they ever had it lost it in May -June 1942)
Japanese auto victory means they have been on a constant rampage for 13 months. The chance of Allied autovictory prior to 1944 is so remote it's not worth the worry.

There weren't any point ratios in the real war... the Allied commanders didn't go pushing the Japanese back island by island, waiting for an inevitable text popup to come telling them they were leading by enough points, its over.

All the more reason to give us an option to disable this "feature".

< Message edited by samuraigg -- 8/26/2004 5:52:28 AM >

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 37
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 8:12:21 AM   
Ki11azer

ya the game feels very pre-set and robotic with all of the restrictions that are currently there.

Imo there should be a toggle to disable auto-victory and allow total domination victory.
Also they should put in a scenario that allows you to modify build queues and build ships/planes/infantry etc that you want and withdraw their cost from heavy industry points or something.

Add these things and this game would be the best. I still like it but I want those 2 above things to -really- love the game ;-)

(in reply to samuraigg)
Post #: 38
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 9:58:30 AM   
mutterfudder

Not all of us are armchair generals more like armchair privetes.

I want the option to continue even if the AI is kicking my butt.

Some of us enjoy playing for the fun of it not just to win.

< Message edited by mutterfudder -- 8/26/2004 3:21:54 PM >

Beware the NWO!

(in reply to samuraigg)
Post #: 39
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 10:02:51 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

Several of us argued long and hard for this during the game design phase, but were ignored.

It worries me that "IGNORED" keeps coming up in descriptions of this kind. Sounds
as if there is a "sacred cow" cult operating within 2by3

No, no sacred cows, just a desire to finish the game. Come on Mike. If we acted on every item that came up during development the game would still be in development. Yes, we didn't do everything that everyone proposed (I didn't even see all the suggestions since keeping up with the forum is a full time job that we can't afford to hire for). I actually agree with this one that we should have given players the option to continue. Hopefully it will get done in a future patch if it's not too painful to program.

I know this doesn't mean much to those who have things they'd like to have seen us do differently, but this was the most ambitious and difficult game that I've ever worked on (and I've worked on a lot of games). If it wasn't for a lot of hard work by a lot of people, it could have easily never made it out the door (weren't the Vegas odds 3 to 1 against us? ). We had to ignore some things or we'd still be programming. If I could wave a magic wand and make some of the suggestions come true (like this one), I would, but it's usually not that easy.

By the way, I also agree that it's time that players start playing at harder AI difficulty levels (especially if they have played UV a lot). The best WitP game you'll ever have (and the most realistic) is if you sit down and play the game through without reading the rulebook, without reading all the player tips and strategy notes on the forum, and without restarting when you make a mistake. This is the only way to minimize the 20/20 hindsight and historical knowledge that all of us grognards have regarding the War in the Pacific. The AI doesn't have that background knowledge. Learn as you go, that's what the real commanders had to do. The AI is ok relative to other AI's (which means pretty dumb compared to a good player), but give it a break and at least play on hard (it has no combat cheats).

As has been stated elsewhere, Gary will continue to work on the AI periodically as long as we get save games that show specific issues. I don't honestly expect it to get a lot better than it is now, but hopefully we can improve a few of the more obvious problems.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 40
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 11:17:14 AM   
mutterfudder

Joel .....to be honest I am ashamed that you would have to even explain yourself.
Ya just can't please everyone all the time

Ya don't have to explain to me I think all of your actions speak louder than words

Beware the NWO!

(in reply to guv)
Post #: 41
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 1:32:36 PM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

The best WitP game you'll ever have (and the most realistic) is if you sit down and play the game through without reading the rulebook, without reading all the player tips and strategy notes on the forum, and without restarting when you make a mistake. This is the only way to minimize the 20/20 hindsight and historical knowledge that all of us grognards have regarding the War in the Pacific. The AI doesn't have that background knowledge. Learn as you go, that's what the real commanders had to do.
Not quite true, Joel, as even the original commanders had some experience in the mechanics of moving ships, planes, troops and materiel around, and at least an appreciation of what is likely to happen if they did "A" instead of "B". Also, of course, the ai, dumb as it might be - and I'm too new a player to comment - knows how to play, which I am fumbling around with still. A new player should be able to deal with the mechanics easily, it's the actual game-play that shouldn't be so easily determined!

I've no comment to make on the substantive subject of the thread, I've not played remotely that far. WitP is a frighteningly dense beast to me, as a neophyte who hasn't played UV or the original Pacific war - the last time I played in this theatre was the old S&T game on the same subject, around 30 years or so ago.

But your point is taken: the best games are likely to be the early ones when you don't know what the ai will do. Only trouble is that those are the games when you're going to be learning how to operate the game, not how to win the war.

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to mutterfudder)
Post #: 42
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 2:33:12 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Also they should put in a scenario that allows you to modify build queues and build ships/planes/infantry etc that you want and withdraw their cost from heavy industry points or something.

They did. It's called the Database Editor.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Ki11azer)
Post #: 43
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 3:03:38 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

Several of us argued long and hard for this during the game design phase, but were ignored.

It worries me that "IGNORED" keeps coming up in descriptions of this kind. Sounds
as if there is a "sacred cow" cult operating within 2by3

No, no sacred cows, just a desire to finish the game. Come on Mike. If we acted on every item that came up during development the game would still be in development. Yes, we didn't do everything that everyone proposed (I didn't even see all the suggestions since keeping up with the forum is a full time job that we can't afford to hire for). I actually agree with this one that we should have given players the option to continue. Hopefully it will get done in a future patch if it's not too painful to program.

I know this doesn't mean much to those who have things they'd like to have seen us do differently, but this was the most ambitious and difficult game that I've ever worked on (and I've worked on a lot of games). If it wasn't for a lot of hard work by a lot of people, it could have easily never made it out the door (weren't the Vegas odds 3 to 1 against us? ). We had to ignore some things or we'd still be programming. If I could wave a magic wand and make some of the suggestions come true (like this one), I would, but it's usually not that easy.

By the way, I also agree that it's time that players start playing at harder AI difficulty levels (especially if they have played UV a lot). The best WitP game you'll ever have (and the most realistic) is if you sit down and play the game through without reading the rulebook, without reading all the player tips and strategy notes on the forum, and without restarting when you make a mistake. This is the only way to minimize the 20/20 hindsight and historical knowledge that all of us grognards have regarding the War in the Pacific. The AI doesn't have that background knowledge. Learn as you go, that's what the real commanders had to do. The AI is ok relative to other AI's (which means pretty dumb compared to a good player), but give it a break and at least play on hard (it has no combat cheats).

As has been stated elsewhere, Gary will continue to work on the AI periodically as long as we get save games that show specific issues. I don't honestly expect it to get a lot better than it is now, but hopefully we can improve a few of the more obvious problems.

JOEL. I bought this game because I like the subject AND because you gentlemen have
a good reputation for "fixing" your problems and errors. Any game with a scope this
massive IS going to have quite a few "problems and errors" unless you are all "Gods"
and inherently perfect...., and none of us are to my knowledge.

A quick example would be the "pursuit" segment of the ground movement code. Sounds
like a good idea...., but in practice it produces some bizarre teleportations. Made it
through both Alpha and Beta---but it's still a problem. I expect to see the ground move-
ment code re-done in a patch sometime in the future to reduce a number of "super-
charging" effects that have come to light as more and more people play the game.

My comment on "sacred cows" came from several instances in which testors have men-
tioned that they requested changes before release and nothing came of the requests.
I was offerred the chance to be a "Beta Testor" and had to turn down the opportunity
because I knew I wouldn't have the time available really "twist and shake" the program
and see what squeeked, cracked, or fell off. Really regretted not being able to accept
at the time..., but if several who were testors can say they felt "ignored" then maybe
I didn't miss the chance I thought I did. I hope I am wrong, and that "fixes" for the
obvious and generally accepted system problems will be provided (as well as just plain
"bug fixes").

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 44
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 5:16:12 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

quote:

This negative "I've been ignored" stuff really bugs me ... if you don't like things, start your own game company and write your own game then you can have it just the way *you* want it. Thats the way the real world works. I have never seen a group that spent more time adding player requested improvements and features. If you want to give 2by3 a bad time, you are biting the very hand that feeds you. Who do you plan on whining to when they are gone?

If you really want a game to be exactly "the way *you* want it", you design and write it yourself. No need to form a game compnay to do so. If you want to sell it and earn a living from designing/writing games, then you form a game company. And as any good company should do, you listen to your customers. "Thats the way the real world works."

Thats exactly the point ... posters have indicated again and again that 2by3 ignores them. That is such a load of horsecrap it is beyond belief. I have never seen a company that spends more time in forums listening to their customers. Just because in the 200 page long list of feature requests that *your* personal favorate hasn't made it to the top yet does not mean it is not on the list.

A company that listens and spends "time adding player requested improvements and features" is actually helping itself by making the game appeal more to the target audience. Not only that, they are also getting valuable feedback on how to make future games even more attractive to their paying customers. (BTW, it's actually the paying customers who are "feeding" 2By3/Matrix, not the other way round. ) If they continue to supply games that people are willing to buy, then they won't "disappear", unless individually they decide that they're tired of making games and want a change of direction.

WitP is a special, it is not a normal game where the company expected to turn a profit to continue. It is a life long ambition of GG's to make the "epic" game never to be surpassed. I don't know personally and they will never admit it publically, but I very much doubt they have even broken even on the costs for this game yet they are still hard at work making it better.

The attitude that, this is the game we made, take it or leave it and stop whining, is symptomatic of a game made as a non-commercial hobby, or one from a company that isn't going to be around for too much longer. Personally, I don't believe 2By/Matrix fit either of these two descriptions.

They don't, but when you read a lot of posts lately, that is exactly the kind of negative press they are getting. It gets rather annoying to have to read them coupled with knowing that they tend to drive away sales on a product that is unlikely to make a profit in the first place. This "I'm going to beat on 2by3" because my request didn't get added while someone elses did is just childish. It's just one of those symptoms of the internet. People type things that they would never say in person and give zero thought to the implications of their post.

(in reply to Bodhi)
Post #: 45
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 7:00:59 PM   
Joel Billings

Even testers don't get everything they want. First, just because a tester wanted something doesn't mean the entire group, or even a majority agreed. Second there is the cost/benefit analysis regarding how hard it will be to make a proposed change, what are the odds a change will cause other problems (either through bugs or unintended consequences that the tester and the programmers didn't account for due to the complexity of the game). We never claim any game we work on is perfect, in fact it's because we are intimately aware of some of its problems that we often do (or don't do) things that don't make sense to some players. Eliminate a rule and some bad consequences of it and you may find problems that are worse because you eliminated it. Anyway, Mike and the testers continue to work away at improving the game (fixing bugs and adding new features and occasionally even changing a rule), and Gary continues to work on the AI as we get saves. I don't know what more we can do. At some point these people will have to move on to other projects for obvious reasons so I hope that no one thinks Matrix or 2by3 have infinite resources to work on any one game. It's because of this that calls have to be made, priorities have to be set. In the end our hope is that most (if not all) customers will decide that the game was fun and worth the price they paid for it.

As for my comment to play the first AI game without reading the rules, I was really intending this for players that have played UV before, because they would know about 80%+ of the main rules (and probably know them well). Of even they should read the rules to avoid problems like activating the Soviet Union, etc. For a player of WitP that never played UV, you should play the tutorial and a few smaller scenarios (and yes read the rules) before jumping into the grand campaign. But when you are finally ready to jump, avoid reading the strategy notes from other players and live with your mistakes. The game will be much more challenging (and in my opinion fun) that way. Once you are ready to play PBEM, that's when it's time to take advantage of all the great tips one can find in the forums.

Post #: 46
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 7:05:26 PM   
steveh11Matrix

quote:

As for my comment to play the first AI game without reading the rules, I was really intending this for players that have played UV before, because they would know about 80%+ of the main rules (and probably know them well). Of even they should read the rules to avoid problems like activating the Soviet Union, etc. For a player of WitP that never played UV, you should play the tutorial and a few smaller scenarios (and yes read the rules) before jumping into the grand campaign. But when you are finally ready to jump, avoid reading the strategy notes from other players and live with your mistakes. The game will be much more challenging (and in my opinion fun) that way. Once you are ready to play PBEM, that's when it's time to take advantage of all the great tips one can find in the forums.
Thanks for the clrification, Joel

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

Post #: 47
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/26/2004 7:33:12 PM   
Rendova

Yes Kid Thanks

(in reply to Sultanofsham)
Post #: 48
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 3:04:35 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Even testers don't get everything they want. First, just because a tester wanted something doesn't mean the entire group, or even a majority agreed. Second there is the cost/benefit analysis regarding how hard it will be to make a proposed change, what are the odds a change will cause other problems (either through bugs or unintended consequences that the tester and the programmers didn't account for due to the complexity of the game). We never claim any game we work on is perfect, in fact it's because we are intimately aware of some of its problems that we often do (or don't do) things that don't make sense to some players. Eliminate a rule and some bad consequences of it and you may find problems that are worse because you eliminated it. Anyway, Mike and the testers continue to work away at improving the game (fixing bugs and adding new features and occasionally even changing a rule), and Gary continues to work on the AI as we get saves. I don't know what more we can do. At some point these people will have to move on to other projects for obvious reasons so I hope that no one thinks Matrix or 2by3 have infinite resources to work on any one game. It's because of this that calls have to be made, priorities have to be set. In the end our hope is that most (if not all) customers will decide that the game was fun and worth the price they paid for it.

Joel. I would never expect testors to "get all they want". First, they won't always even
agree between themselves what is needed; and then, as you pointed out, not everything
CAN be changed, or changed within a reasonable budget of cost and effort. I've accep-
ted of late, that the map (with all it's flaws) is a SACRED COW that can't/won't be
changed and quit bringing it up. Would have been nice if after the first couple of posts
on the warped distances 2by3 had put out an OFFICIAL NOTICE that (for whatever
reasons apply) the map cannot be changed. Would have saved a lot of posters a lot
of finger time. That's what I mean by IGNORED.

I would have expected as a testor to at least have "problem reports" answered with some
explanation of what was "doable" and/or why this isn't. Ignored doesn't mean disaggreed
with..., it means not answered at all. That was the impression I got from the Testors
who had mentioned their frustrations. You guys have launched a HUGE project here,
and it is probably going to require an on-going "fix" budget for a year if you just chase
bugs and fix the obvious problems. Personally, I think it was under-priced (if it was
going to be done right), but having seen the screems evoked from other posters I know
why you didn't go any higher. If you want to start a "Help 2by3 fix the Problems in what
COULD be one of the all-time great games fund", put me down for another $100 and give me the mailing address. That's how strongly I feel about getting as many of the problems that still exist fixed.

Post #: 49
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 7:29:23 AM   
Joel Billings

I appreciate the offer Mike. Maybe we should take contributions like political candidates or theater groups and offer various levels of support some kind of honorary title. Maybe a graphic that would come up at the beginning of the game listing the donars in groups (Fanboy clubs?). I wish we could collect ongoing revenue for changes, but I doubt that would fly.

I appreciate the desire to hear quickly whether something is possible or likely to be changed or not, but even doing that takes an effort because anything is ultimately possible depending on the time we want to put in on the change and the risks/benefits that would result. I'd love to change the map in Australia for example, and it could be done. However it would take artists from Matrix, programmers, OOB guys and an unknown amount of AI test and programming to make sure we didn't screw something up. Something like this is not going to happen quickly if at all, but I don't want to rule it out completely as long as there is a chance something might happen here. I don't know about Matrix, but 2by3 does look at the sales of the game and try to determine how much time we can justify putting into changing/improving the game after release. It's really too early to say just how much we will be able to do, so it's hard to rule out things that we would like to do but realize may be too much work to ever get done. As you probably know, we are working hard on our next game (GGWaW) with the hope that it will be a big commercial success for 2by3 and Matrix so we can all afford to continue to spend the time on labors of love like WitP.

Post #: 50
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 7:40:35 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

I'd love to change the map in Australia for example...

We've been trying to become a republic for years... you'll never get it through the Senate

Post #: 51
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 2:03:48 PM   
Culiacan Mexico

quote:

...This negative "I've been ignored" stuff really bugs me ... if you don't like things, start your own game company and write your own game then you can have it just the way *you* want it. Thats the way the real world works. I have never seen a group that spent more time adding player requested improvements and features. If you want to give 2by3 a bad time, you are biting the very hand that feeds you. Who do you plan on whining to when they are gone?...
On the other hand, maybe a lot of people are asking for small changes because they believe both Matrix and 2By3 or exceptional companies. That they do listen and might be willing to consider making these changes, whether we get are wishes or not… we love this game.

You never know.

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lig

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 52
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 4:06:05 PM   
Becket

quote:

As you probably know, we are working hard on our next game (GGWaW) with the hope that it will be a big commercial success for 2by3 and Matrix so we can all afford to continue to spend the time on labors of love like WitP.

This is a good point to invite all of you to come over and visit the GGWaW forum -- in my opinion, 2by3 has a huge hit on their hands. It could be the best CPU grand strategy WWII game ever made. As to the discussion here about the testing process and "sacred cows", if the WitP development was at all similar to the GGWaW development, there are no sacred cows and the thoughts and views of the testers are taken into account. The 2by3 guys are extremely open to listening to the testers.

< Message edited by Becket -- 8/27/2004 2:06:26 PM >

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky

Post #: 53
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 5:36:02 PM   
pasternakski

Okay, okay. Try it this way:

"Several of us argued long and hard for this during the game design phase, but without success."

Okay? Sorry. Jeez...

(in reply to Becket)
Post #: 54
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 5:43:00 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

"Several of us argued long and hard for this during the game design phase, but without success."

Even thats stretching it.

How about, "Our request is on the list of possible feature additions but has not made it to the top yet."

See how radically different that sounds?

BTW: Anyone who shows me a Auto-Victory screen in 1943, I will fix your bases so you can play onwards. There's the gauntlet thrown down.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 55
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 6:34:27 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

I appreciate the offer Mike. Maybe we should take contributions like political candidates or theater groups and offer various levels of support some kind of honorary title. Maybe a graphic that would come up at the beginning of the game listing the donars in groups (Fanboy clubs?). I wish we could collect ongoing revenue for changes, but I doubt that would fly.

I appreciate the desire to hear quickly whether something is possible or likely to be changed or not, but even doing that takes an effort because anything is ultimately possible depending on the time we want to put in on the change and the risks/benefits that would result. I'd love to change the map in Australia for example, and it could be done. However it would take artists from Matrix, programmers, OOB guys and an unknown amount of AI test and programming to make sure we didn't screw something up. Something like this is not going to happen quickly if at all, but I don't want to rule it out completely as long as there is a chance something might happen here. I don't know about Matrix, but 2by3 does look at the sales of the game and try to determine how much time we can justify putting into changing/improving the game after release. It's really too early to say just how much we will be able to do, so it's hard to rule out things that we would like to do but realize may be too much work to ever get done. As you probably know, we are working hard on our next game (GGWaW) with the hope that it will be a big commercial success for 2by3 and Matrix so we can all afford to continue to spend the time on labors of love like WitP.

Joel. I too hope that GGWaW is a big commercial success for you. Not that I will buy it,
as it's not my "cup of tea". But it probably has much broader potential than something
as demanding and intensive as WITP, and if it's a big winner maybe WITP will get the
attention it needs. I'm glad you are reluctant to rule anything out, but it does make for
frustration when you can't say yea or nay and the result is silence. I wouldn't mind at
all if the Australia Map were fixed. Allied ability to "draw" large amounts of supply to
the Darwin area overland could make for some nasty times for the Japanese in the NEI.
But please, if it does prove possible, "fix" the other problem on the NE coast where
Australia is now out of B-17/24 range from Rabaul and out of C-47 range of Pt. Moresby.
That one is making the problems of the Allies larger than they should be.

I was dead serious about contributing to a "keep the patches coming" kitty for WITP.
And you never know what will fly until you push it off the barn roof. Thanks for your
time...

Post #: 56
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 9:30:24 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

quote:

How about, "Our request is on the list of possible feature additions but has not made it to the top yet."

BTW: Anyone who shows me a Auto-Victory screen in 1943, I will fix your bases so you can play onwards. There's the gauntlet thrown down.

Too bad you had to knock over all those guys forming the gauntlet. They probably would have preferred you to throw down the gantlet (or the gage, for that matter).

Okay. Let's try, "Several of us argued long and hard for this during the game design phase, but we eventually wimped out like allies facing a hostage situation." Now, there's a radically different sound if I ever heard one...

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 57
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 9:58:37 PM   
samuraigg

quote:

quote:

Really? I didn't know it was possible to edit a savegame. How would you fix it?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 58
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 10:14:57 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

YOU don't

(in reply to samuraigg)
Post #: 59
RE: Could a future patch/mod add... - 8/27/2004 10:39:10 PM   
samuraigg

quote:

quote:

YOU don't

Ok, thank you for proving my point that we need a toggle for auto victory then.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Could a future patch/mod add... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI