Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can anyone recommend...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Can anyone recommend... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can anyone recommend... - 2/20/2002 9:27:00 AM   
fat slob

some balanced scenarios for playing against another human opponent? Thanks in advance.

Post #: 1
- 2/20/2002 11:02:00 AM   
Warrior

I just emailed one you may find useful. BTW, it's for v7.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 2
- 2/22/2002 7:23:00 AM   
fat slob

Phew!
What an overwhelming response! Apparently there is only one balanced scenario (thanks Warrior!) and it's not even included with the game! Does anyone here actually play this game or do you all just talk about it??? Or is it that I have to slam the game or someone in this forum to get any response? Yes, I'm being sarcastic.
I get that way when I'm disappointed.

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 3
- 2/22/2002 9:36:00 AM   
Tomanbeg

quote:

Originally posted by fat slob:
Phew!
What an overwhelming response! Apparently there is only one balanced scenario (thanks Warrior!) and it's not even included with the game! Does anyone here actually play this game or do you all just talk about it??? Or is it that I have to slam the game or someone in this forum to get any response? Yes, I'm being sarcastic.
I get that way when I'm disappointed.

Yes, a lot of us play this game. For PBEM, why would you want a scenario? So you can practice? Against whom? I have slots 8 thru 10 open, if you want a game. The blitkrieg site is very active, I've gotten 3 responces to 4 challenges, and I'm still in bootcamp. I am not going to commenton your playing style other then saying that the biggest plus to the SP series is how it can be so many different games to so many different people. So if you were to practice a scenario against me, it would not do you much good against another player. The E-Mail address in my profile is current. You should note that PBEM is an ENTIRELY different game from net play.
T.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 4
- 2/22/2002 12:10:00 PM   
fat slob

quote:

Originally posted by Tomanbeg:
Yes, a lot of us play this game. For PBEM, why would you want a scenario? So you can practice? Against whom? I have slots 8 thru 10 open, if you want a game. The blitkrieg site is very active, I've gotten 3 responces to 4 challenges, and I'm still in bootcamp. I am not going to commenton your playing style other then saying that the biggest plus to the SP series is how it can be so many different games to so many different people. So if you were to practice a scenario against me, it would not do you much good against another player. The E-Mail address in my profile is current. You should note that PBEM is an ENTIRELY different game from net play.
T.

Huh? What the...?
Am I in the twilight zone here?
Practice? Say what?
You're not going to comment on my playing style??
What playing style??? You've never seen me play, so how could you comment on it?
Did you read my original post in this thread?
It's a simple question, I thought.
I already belong to the Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club.
I'm not seeking an opponent.
I already play SpW@W against human opponents.
I play mostly generated battles.
However, I would like to play some of the stock scenarios that come with the game against some of my regular opponents.
I'm simply asking if anyone could tell me which of the stock scenarios they've played that might (in their opinion) be entertaining and balanced for PBEM. I assumed that this would be the place to ask such a question, seeing how there are over 5000 people signed up here.
But I got virtually no response to my original post and that's what prompted my second post.

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 5
- 2/22/2002 2:54:00 PM   
Tomanbeg

quote:

Huh? What the...?
Am I in the twilight zone here?
Practice? Say what?
You're not going to comment on my playing style??
What playing style??? You've never seen me play, so how could you comment on it?
Did you read my original post in this thread?
It's a simple question, I thought.
I already belong to the Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club.
I'm not seeking an opponent.
I already play SpW@W against human opponents.
I play mostly generated battles.
However, I would like to play some of the stock scenarios that come with the game against some of my regular opponents.
I'm simply asking if anyone could tell me which of the stock scenarios they've played that might (in their opinion) be entertaining and balanced for PBEM. I assumed that this would be the place to ask such a question, seeing how there are over 5000 people signed up here.
But I got virtually no response to my original post and that's what prompted my second post.

Ok, I did not catch your first post, my bag.
Yes, we played 3 or 4 turns of a TCP/IP game back before they had the replay fixed.
That was an legitimate question. 'Why would you want to play a scenario vs a human opponent'? I could not think up any reason and was curious.
T. (who is looking for enlightenment, but pen won't share the Ice cube).

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 6
- 2/22/2002 5:15:00 PM   
Resisti

Fat slob,
If you scroll down the scenario list of yr spwaw, you should find (guess around scenario #400 or 500, not sure) few scenarios which are clearly stating to be for two or more players.
I don't know if they are still working properly with version 7.0, tough.
Apart from these, I don't know of any others around; it's really uncommon for people designing scenarios to be played by two human players...

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 7
- 2/22/2002 7:52:00 PM   
fat slob

quote:

Originally posted by Tomanbeg:
Ok, I did not catch your first post, my bag.
Yes, we played 3 or 4 turns of a TCP/IP game back before they had the replay fixed.
That was an legitimate question. 'Why would you want to play a scenario vs a human opponent'? I could not think up any reason and was curious.
T. (who is looking for enlightenment, but pen won't share the Ice cube).

Why wouldn't you want to play a scenario vs a human opponent?
It's much more fun than playing against the P.O. if the scenario is somewhat balanced for it.
Another reason is that you might want to play an historic battle that is recreated in a scenario.
Maybe it's just my Campaign Series mentality that makes me believe that there must be some great scenarios out there that are good for playing against humans.
But maybe there aren't.

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 8
- 2/22/2002 7:56:00 PM   
Reg

Try Slaughter at Sluzk Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 9
- 2/23/2002 2:28:00 AM   
skukko

gosh ALL scenarios are playable against human. But why to ask balanced scenarios? In war there is nothing balanced. Ballistical yes, but balanced? Same as you would ask which is better scenario: historical or hysterical? there is many people who can be sarcastic... mosh btw: try 'Momenth of truth'...

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 10
- 2/23/2002 9:17:00 PM   
fat slob

quote:

Originally posted by skukko:
gosh ALL scenarios are playable against human. But why to ask balanced scenarios? In war there is nothing balanced. Ballistical yes, but balanced? Same as you would ask which is better scenario: historical or hysterical? there is many people who can be sarcastic... mosh btw: try 'Momenth of truth'...
You must be joking!
Not all scenarios are 'playable' vs humans, my friend!
Many of them really suck when played against another person.
For example, try playing Castle Hill against a human player. It sure doesn't live up to its description!
Then come back and tell me that "all scenarios" are playable versus humans.
And by 'balanced', i don't mean that everything has to be 'equal'. In other words, both sides have to have the same number of tanks, etc. Obviously you don't have a clue what I'm asking for!
But thanks for playing!

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 11
- 2/24/2002 1:47:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

quote:

some balanced scenarios for playing against another human opponent? Thanks in advance.
This a bit self-promotional, but I'm nothing if not egotistical. Try my scenario "Into the Breach" available at Fabio's ARMOR Site. I spent months balancing that thing, while trying to maximize historical accuracy. While the intent was to make it playable from either side, I know enough about it to realize that the parity level is rather close to 50-50 with two players of equal skill. Give that one a try.

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 12
- 2/24/2002 1:42:00 PM   
David boutwell

Fat Slob, Who peed in your cornflakes, Dude? Lack of an overwhelming response is no reason to start "pissin' and moanin'" the way you are. Obviously, you want to gripe about something, and no answer will be good enough for you. Now, you can either badmouth me, as well, or let me know whether or not you'd like me to send you my Arnhem scenario, which WAS designed for two players. It is VERY large. I haven't had anyone playtest it vs. another human, but you are welcome to be the first. David Boutwell

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 13
- 2/24/2002 4:00:00 PM   
mogami

Hi, Most scenarios are one sided (against the side recommended for human play) But the AI equals it out so the human can sometimes win scenarios that if played by 2 humans would be really lopsided (unless 1 of the humans is duller then the AI) The mega campaign battles can now be played by 2 humans (making the campaigners job nigh on impossible). Every scenario can be played by two humans (if you can find someone to be the side that historicaly got it's butt whipped.
If you want a balanced scenario, look for the ones done recreating historical battles that were balanced. (this accounts for the lack of balanced scenarios)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 14
- 2/24/2002 11:34:00 PM   
Truckeye

david, ill take a look at your arnhem scenario if you care to send it to me. im looking for pbem or hot seat games too.

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 15
- 2/25/2002 1:19:00 AM   
David boutwell

Trukeye, Its on the way.... Regards, David Boutwell

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 16
- 2/25/2002 7:26:00 AM   
fat slob

quote:

Originally posted by David boutwell:
Fat Slob, Who peed in your cornflakes, Dude? Lack of an overwhelming response is no reason to start "pissin' and moanin'" the way you are. Obviously, you want to gripe about something, and no answer will be good enough for you. Now, you can either badmouth me, as well, or let me know whether or not you'd like me to send you my Arnhem scenario, which WAS designed for two players. It is VERY large. I haven't had anyone playtest it vs. another human, but you are welcome to be the first. David Boutwell
Hi David.
Thanks for offering to let me play your scenario. If I was "pissing and moaning" (I don't believe so) as you say, it was because, of the few that responded to my post, almost nobody addressed my original question. But instead, I got totally irrelevant responses that did nothing to answer my original post. Even worse, I was questioned as to the motive for asking my question in the first place.
You say "obviously... no answer will be good enough for you."
How is that obvious? I appreciate any responses that address my original post, but so few did! I guess I confused things by using the word 'balanced', as that word is open to interpretation.
For anybody reading this, please re-read my original post and substitute the word 'balanced' with the word 'fun'. As for your scenario, David, please email it to me if you don't mind.
Thanks. matt

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 17
- 2/25/2002 10:05:00 AM   
Truckeye

oh heavy and unkept one, did you receive my email of the scen suggestions for pbem? let me know and ill send it again if you didnt get it.

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 18
- 2/25/2002 10:42:00 AM   
fat slob

quote:

Originally posted by Truckeye:
oh heavy and unkept one, did you receive my email of the scen suggestions for pbem? let me know and ill send it again if you didnt get it.
Yep, I got it.
And I thank you. That's just what I was looking for.
Although, it's interesting that the scenario I used as an example in an earlier post called Castle Hill is included in that list!
But I'm going to try to be optimistic and give some of the others a go.
matt

(in reply to fat slob)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Can anyone recommend... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI