Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A joke I found very amusing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A joke I found very amusing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A joke I found very amusing - 2/20/2002 10:28:00 AM   
Alexandra

Earlier this evening, as we tend to, my husband and I were watching ESPNs 'Pardon the Interruption' which is a cool little show. Well, during one segment, the host Tony Kornhauser, was doing a spiel and the segment of the show was about which was more fun to talk about, French Poodles or the French Skating Judge. Tony chats on about various things French related, and ends up telling this joke: Q: "Why did the French grow two beautiful rows of trees on either side of the Champs Elisee?" (I hope I spelled that right!) A: "So that the Germans could march in the shade when the occupied the country!" I laughed and laughed so hard I missed the next segment, and worried my husband quite a bit, since I'm not supposed to laugh that hard right now! Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
Post #: 1
- 2/20/2002 3:43:00 PM   
madclicker

HI, You got the spelling nearly all right for the Champs Elysées ! And yes it's a very good old joke here in France.

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 2
- 2/20/2002 5:14:00 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

ehehehehehehe!!!Yes:it's very funny!Alex id your AArs stopped defenetly?

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 3
- 2/20/2002 10:08:00 PM   
lnp4668

Wicked sense of humor

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 4
- 2/21/2002 12:34:00 AM   
Alexandra

quote:

Originally posted by Gen.Hoepner:
ehehehehehehe!!!Yes:it's very funny!Alex id your AArs stopped defenetly?
No, not forever, I don't think. I grew frustated with what I saw as poor design in a lot of the DF scen I played, and have paused playing for a bit, during my 11th - at some point I'll go back to it. Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 5
- 2/21/2002 1:42:00 PM   
Lost Lieutenant

I love that joke. My Dad first told it to me; he was at a NATO conference and a Canadian officer who had the microphone told it. The German officers laughed hysterically. The French officers got up and walked out. Dem Frogs ain't got no sense a' humor. I've tried telling that joke at parties. Nobody ever gets it unless it's an Army function, a group of wargamers, or a bunch of history students. Go figure. Told it once to a bunch of Germans, they seemed almost scared to laugh...

The Lost Lieutenant
"You can't spell 'lost' without 'LT'"

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 6
- 2/22/2002 12:23:00 AM   
fguillemart

When I was a young boy, I saw a few seconds of a film made by the german propaganda on the very day the Wehrmacht was on the Champs Elysees in june 1940.
This film showed a french man in its mid fourties crying.
That's probably a reason why we "dem froggies" don't have any sense of humour.
By the way, you know why tere are so many pictures hanging on the walls in Buckingham Palace ?
Just for Hitler having a pleasant visit in case you'd been invaded too.

What does not kill us makes us stronger. Friedriech Nietzsche

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 7
- 2/22/2002 12:53:00 AM   
Bing

Francis - The image you refer to, the Frenchman in tears, became one of the most famous of all WW2 photos, I'm reasonably certain it is the same one. Seemed to capture the frustration and humiliation the French must have been experiencing, whatever reason the photo has been used in countless pictorial histories of WW2. As to the other, the last time it happened was in 1066, the man's name was William. What did you have in mind? Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 8
- 2/25/2002 6:51:00 PM   
fguillemart

Bing,
I think we've seen the same picture.
What i had in mind was as follows.
For sure UK has suffered a lot from WWII, no one denies it.
But England did not suffer from being invaded and occupied 41/2 years long.
They got kicked in the *** in 1940 and did not return before 1944 ( w/the exception of Dunkirk )when you Americans could help them out. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Ithink William was a "dem froggy", no?

What does not kill us makes us stronger. Friedriech Nietzsche

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 9
- 2/25/2002 11:04:00 PM   
peter hellman

In Finland we might ask a German when offering a cigarrette, do you smoke Marlboro or Lapland?

"If you want to live in peace, you have to prepare for war" - Adolf Ehrnrooth

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 10
- 2/25/2002 11:30:00 PM   
Lost Lieutenant

Alright, alright, in the interest of good international relations I officially denounce that joke and deny that I ever found it amusing. Didn't realize that or the "froggy" comment would boil so much blood. My apologies... Anyway, William was not French or a member of the Frankish tribe, though he did reside in Normandy. He was a Viking whose recent ancestors had been allowed to settle Normandy in return for protecting the coast against the depredations of other Vikings. And I'm not British.

The Lost Lieutenant
"You can't spell 'lost' without 'LT'"

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 11
- 2/25/2002 11:55:00 PM   
Bing

If you will read the comment, I don't think it makes any reference at all to Willaim being French (France as such did not exist at the time: there was "Isle de France" and that was it). William was indeed a Norman. He was the last one to invade the British Isles, that is the reference. Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 12
- 2/26/2002 7:40:00 AM   
11Bravo

quote:

Originally posted by Alexandra:
I laughed and laughed so hard I missed the next segment, and worried my husband quite a bit, since I'm not supposed to laugh that hard right now! Alex
Congratulations, if I guessed correctly.

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 13
- 2/26/2002 9:05:00 AM   
Truckeye

francis, please dont forget the UK and US did fight the germans from 42 on in the desert and italy. your post seemed to insinuate that the Brits did nothing til 1944. there was also action in india and the pacific for both the English speaking allies as well the whole period. as for the joke, it us merely a joke, and a humerous one at that. no different than saying the germans planted vinyards in alsace as a present to the french. kid about danzig, the poilsh corridor, over here could joke about Americans getting beat in Montreal etc etc.

In the Last days its said the Lion will lay down with the Lamb. Even on that day, I would want to be the Lion. Ben Gurion

(in reply to Alexandra)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> A joke I found very amusing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI