Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestion for the new Pac War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Suggestion for the new Pac War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestion for the new Pac War - 5/22/2000 8:43:00 AM   
richak

Can there be some more attention to the land combat and geography detail. Perhaps, by making each base have its own geography, or a special pop up screen when you click the base to show topography, base installations, troop locations. Perhaps use a simpel land combat engine, at the brigade, or company level, so the player can take command of ground forces in positioning, assualt, tactics, where to place units to defend bases, airstrips, etc. In this way one could recreate the thin red line defending the wildcat squadrons on Guadalcanal, or the defense of Singapore, or Merrill's Maruaders, or the Chindits. For those that do not want play in such detail for months on end, have the game have an ability to just click off this detail level, and go back to the old Pacwar ground war system. The same with air and surface ops, perhaps some more tactical detail which could be shut off if need be. Maybe use an old system like great naval battles, or something similar, which could be turned off in different theatre is need be, or would ask the player: "would you like to enter tactical mode in this hex?" If so then one could command individual air, surface, ground units like a Boyington, Spruance, or Vandergrift, or if not, one could let the computer resolve it as in the old game. Please look at the website for Pacific Tide by Stargames. Though they will never publish the game due to poor management, I really like the idea of incorporating real WWII photos to show actions, weapons, personalities and geographic locations. It really would add to the immersion value. Please make the game as cumbersome, detailed, and long as possible with the ability to switch to lower detail and command if need be for the casual gamer. Us old grognards would love you, for a game that harkens back to the days of realism as opposed to all graphics and glitz. In this way you would appeal to the mainstream and the special wargaming market nich. I think I saw one suggestion that you scrap the SSI PacWar roots, and go out and develop something new from scratch. I say, "heck yeah", so as to get Mattel off of your back, and be able to make whatever marketing decisions would net Matrix a profit, and launch them successfully into the leader of a market niche once held by the now gobbled up companies such as SSI and Microprose, etc. Rich

Rich
Post #: 1
- 5/23/2000 6:47:00 AM   
Major Tom

I think that they should still start from the old PacWar, or at least use it as a base to start with. PacWar has been the best Pacific Wargame for 8 years. It should be used as something in which to emulate, to strive for the same quality, incorporating the same attibutes, only with improvements. We cannot forget what made Pacific War the best of its category, and not just the fact that there were no other good games depicting this region, but, because it was a well designed game. Asking for a Micro and Macro scaled game is probably too much. Problems in the complexity (creating two virtual games in one) will possibly cripple it. I have seen many games try to cover too much ground, and end up getting lost in complexity. Adding the small scale, Company Battles would just require a LOT more programming and expand the game into regions that it wasn't meant to cover. PacWar is a large scale Wargame of the Pacific, games like Steel Panthers and Rising Sun are small scale versions of the Pacific. Imagine not only having to create and code a game like Pacific War, but, you would have to code an ENTIRE other game within it. I agree it would be an interesting thing to add, but, it could detract from what was so good about PacWar.

(in reply to richak)
Post #: 2
- 5/23/2000 10:15:00 PM   
kfbaker

Speaking for myself I wouldn't like to see the game get to bogdown in land combat, but I would like to see the option of linking into the game additional moduls to handle in detail if desired. On a large scale I things are hard to handle in detail and that goes for both land and see combat. But it would be nice to see the option to instead of using a system like the old Pacwar system, you could instead have the data feed into a linked additional model such as 'Carrier strike' game. In this way your could war at a more detailed or abstract level depending on your desire.

(in reply to richak)
Post #: 3
- 5/24/2000 12:47:00 AM   
DougAngle

The detail always sounds good. However, as a programmer, I can appreciate the incredible level of complexity (therefore risk of bugs) associated that the additional detail would add. Maybe they can add it as a add-on module. Given the complexity already in this game I wouldn't want them to delay the release for the length of time that would be required to add this in.

(in reply to richak)
Post #: 4
- 5/24/2000 8:09:00 AM   
norsemanjs

I like the idea of adding a more detailed "subroutine" for land combat. I'm afraid it would delay the actual game. But with some forsight it could be a tremendous add on module. A similar module for surface naval combat and air strikes on naval units could be incorporated. I think that some improvement on land combat in general should be included. The units should be able to break down into there component units more easily. For example if you want to pull the 164th Regt out of the Americal Division for whatever reason you should be able to do it easily by clicking on that unit in a window of the Americal Division which shows it's basic composition. You should also be able to attach units to other formations just as units of the 164th were attached to the marines at Guadalcanal in real life. Another thing which there's been some talk about was aircraft upgrades, I'm all for them, but there shouldn't always be a decrease in experience when a unit upgrades. If the unit is very experienced the reduction should be less, also if the type of aircraft is very similar there should be no reduction. For example P-38 Lightnings went through several upgrades throughout the war but I believe the basics of the plane didn't change ie it wasn't more difficult to fly just better performance with more weapon options. Therefore experienced P-38 pilots would have a very short learning curve on those planes or at least I would think so. Also it wasn't unusual to have mixed types of aircraft in some units as they changed over to newer models of aircraft. Just some thoughts. Norseman

(in reply to richak)
Post #: 5
- 5/24/2000 9:02:00 AM   
richak

I agree that adding too much detail into the ground combat would perhaps make the game unplayable, or add bugs, but I did like the comment made, that perhaps down the road, in marketing, Matrix, or another company could make a system which would download information from PacWar into another game for tactical level combat. For example, a menu asking the player: "Would you like to export play of this combat between TF 1 and TF 5 in tactical mode, or allow the computer to resolve?" Then if the computer resolves, it would be just like the old PacWar, however if you chose to export it, then a whole new game would take place, outside of PacWar. But, of course, this would be after the development of the new facelifted PacWar game. But it would be interesting, down the line to be able to play out your battles in a great naval battles type combat system, or Brigade/Company level ground simulator, with air availability factored in. It would add numerous marketing posibilities for expansion, add-on potential, and perhaps another game system to sell. To Matrix games....taking feedback from gamers worldwide, via a forum like this is incredible!!! I look forward to buying any products which come out, once you do finally put your wargame products in the store. Thank you. Rich P.S. I really liked the comment I read about having real black and white photos of the ships when looking at details of the ships in the game. AKA Steel Panthers. Or seeing the actual photos of commanders. I would prefer this to any glitzy graphics!!!! I also agreed, having owned Fleet Command and Harpoon games, having the glitzy graphics of a missle in flight or a ship sinking gets old after awhile, and I turn the option off to speed up the game. However, having the black and white photo of the ship in the background of a details screen pop up menu, or a historic photo of a base, or plane, as the background of a pop-up menu would be fabulous and really add to the immersion. Imagine, you click on Truk to check what ships, planes, leaders etc you have there. When the menu pops up, you see a historic photo of Truk in the background while you look at your info. Next you click on Yamamoto, who is on Truk, and his pop up menu comes up with his rotund little body in the background with white gloves as you look at his attributes and reassign him. Anyway, I write too much, and I am sure Mr. Grisby has many exciting things in store for this game.

Rich

(in reply to richak)
Post #: 6
- 5/25/2000 1:39:00 AM   
Dunedain

I like the idea about an add-on module down the road that will allow the resolution of task force engagements in great tactical detail. Then after fighting the battle out in the tactical add-on module you could import the results back into WIP and have the combat results be used by WIP as the outcome of that battle, just as if it had been resolved in the WIP engine in the first place, only you got to have full control of the battle instead of letting the computer calculate it. That would be great. But first things first, let's get WIP done, then we can worry about add-on modules. Lots of excellent ideas on this board so far. Can't wait to play WIP.

(in reply to richak)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Suggestion for the new Pac War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI