Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/14/2004 5:00:10 PM   
Nikademus

Since my name is being thrown around here, i'll just throw in a simple (i.e. short commentary) Since UV days, i've felt a "diminishing returns" rule for ENG's was warrented as the logic works in the same way as with AA, i.e. simply piling more and more numbers should not simply create a stacking effect as it does not take into account other variables. Having played UV and now WitP extensively i've seen the "insta-base" effect enough times to recognize and know what i'm seeing.

I dont see the issue as having as much to do with turning a base from 0-9 (or 0-7) as it would turning a SPS 0 or 1 into a size 3 or 4 airbase in record time. I have not advocated any kind of "stacking limit" as this would be impossible to model in a game of this scale. Instead, meerly implement a system whereas the more ENG units you stack, it simply isn't a matter of adding up the #'s but produces less and less of the sum of it's total.
How to determine the threshold would be an issue. SPS size potential (which is supposed to be an abstracted form of geography) should be a major factor, along with nationality/time frame) Repair rates and types could benefit from such as well. small/med airfields are reletively easy to repair. Port facilities not so.

Anyway, i'm not going to stress too much about this because the above all speaks of a perfect world. The reality is that there are already a number of vital improvement issues on the board. While i'd like to see the above implemented it would admitedly be down the "list" of vital improvements were I given the ability to rank them. The developers can only do so much in the time alloted. Currently the above is not even a wish list item.

This doesn't mean that it cant be added but just serving as a reminder that the improvement wish list is already substantial.

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 61
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/15/2004 2:04:20 PM   
BartM

you have a limit on Air support already...

50 aircraft per SPS

A/c support UP TO 250 any more is a waste (I personally think this should go to 500 for size 10 airfields)

I dont have an exact number, but let's remove the stacking limit idea as that is a beast. Instead, keep the rule of A/c support and apply it to engineers ?.. 100 per SPS ? do the test that way, lower the number ?...

any more then what the base can handle is a waste and simply drawing supplies away to support the men standing around on a base.

so you can still stack more then needed to furture transport to other areas, but their "involvement" isn't accounted for, they are simply sitting around waiting to be transported... (ie air support)

FUEL and supplies should be taken, not just supplies, more so with the allies as they have tons of vehicles who do not run on water :)

just a thought around this complicated issue :)

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 62
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/15/2004 6:07:11 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

It seems the construction ratios from size to next size are all some sort of linear relationship. In your 6 + 9 + 12 + 15 + 18 + 21 + 24 + 27 + 30 statement it appears the difference in "size" (abstracted to mean the complexity of infrastructure as well as the mere length of the runway, etc...) between a 1 and a 2 is the same as between an 8 and a 9. While I don't think it is reasonable for this relationship to be exponential or logarithmic, I do believe it should have some sort of quadratic polynomial type relationship whereby a the difference between a size 8 and size 9 was DRAMATICALLY different than that between a size 1 and size 2.

For example, take the size of the port facilities today at the Long Beach docks in California or New Orleans (call that a size 10) and those at Charleston, SC (call that a size 8). It would take YEARS and hundreds of millions of dollars of investement to get Charleston up to the capacity of Long Beach. But take the port at Jacksonville and compare to Charleston (Jacksonville being a 6 or maybe a 7) and it would not take near that much to get Jacksonville up to the size of Charleston.

This is good example and nice thinking!

BTW, since we now know formulas (through what I discovered) how bases are build below SPS limits in current WitP what exact formulas you suggest and how would that practically translate in time of contraction?

Also my point exactly (as well) is that large bases took months (years in peacetime - Singapore and Pearl Harbor for example) to build and that it took a lot of ENG, a lot of supplies and lot of $$$...

Leo "Apollo11"

I'll have to think on it a bit. I an equation of a good, gradually increasing curve, but not as extreme as a pure exponential one, with a 0 Y intercept. Probably a fairly simple one at that.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 63
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/15/2004 6:12:35 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, There are no bases that can can be built from nothing to Long Beach or even Jacksonville or Charleston size. The problem is perception in that the large bases remain too small. LB handles 65 million tons a year. Jacksonville over 7 million tons per year. (That in WITP terms is loading or unloading 19k per day) Jacksonville in WITP is a size 10 because size 10 is the largest size there is. Once a port gets to a certain size it is like every port of that size even though we know in reality LB is 9 times larger then Jacksonville. (Jacksonville is larger then any port that can be built from nothing in WITP. Jacksonville is larger then any port that cannot be built to a size 10 and no port can be built to a size 10 so Jacksonville remains larger then any port that any engineer in WITP will be asked to build)

There are no 0 to 9 hexes. There are 8 to 9 hexes. There are no 9 to 10 hexes.

The real question is how long to build from a 3 or 4 to a 7 not from a 0 to a 9. Measuring something that never occurs in the game provides interesting insight into how the system works but tells us nothing about what will actually take place in a game. Only the parts that can actually happen matter.
Tinian was captured in a completly useless condition. The USA built it from nothing in 4 months. How long does it take in WITP to do this? 30 days? Then the process is 4x too fast. Where the actual excess is remains the question.

In the 4 months of building Tinian when was it a 1 and then how long before it was a 2 and so on? All the talk about building a base from nothing to the size of Long Beach is waste of effort because there are no hexes where such a thing can be done. A size 5 port is so far from a size 10 that they cannot be compared. You can't build a size 10 anywhere on the map. So it is pointless to talk about how long it would take to do.

(I've been reading my posts correcting the typos and such and discovered that I have been watching too much Cartoon Network with my nephews. I'm starting to talk like "Mojo Jojo"
"I am Mojo Jojo, Mojo Jojo is me. If you ask my name I will tell you it is Mojo Jojo because that is my name. " ( My nephews like it when I talk like that)

The point being, going from a 6 to 7 should require a GREAT DEAL more "work" than going from a 1 to a 2. I don't think "slowing down the engineers" is a correct thing to do to fix this thing (if a fix is even warranted), but rather to reevaluate what "size" really means and how it is modelled. In the example of Tinian going from a 4(4) to a 7(4) should take orders of magnitude more work than growing a base from a 1(1) to 4(1)....

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 64
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/15/2004 7:33:44 PM   
mogami

Hi, OK that makes sense as long as we do not lose track of facts like in real world Tinain went from 0 to 7 in 4 months.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 65
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/15/2004 7:43:32 PM   
Oleg Mastruko

You constantly say that, but wasn't first B29 on Tinian (or Saipan) actually long before that? I know in WITP you can *land* air unit on any level 1 airfield, but when B29 Joltin Josie landed on Saipan on 12th Oct 44 I guess it was at least level 4 in WITP terms?

http://www.nps.gov/amme/wwii_museum/air_offensive/joltin_josie_inscription_lg.jpg

O.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 66
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/15/2004 8:23:05 PM   
mogami

Hi, Yes you can land and even fly bombing missions with B-29 before base is a size 7. They will just carry extended loads and only fly normal ranges.

< Message edited by Mogami -- 9/15/2004 1:23:55 PM >

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 67
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/15/2004 9:33:26 PM   
PeteG662

For discussion......near Calcutta are some airfields that are 1 (8) or 1 (9) I believe so there may be some data that can be gleaned from trying something in that area......

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 68
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/17/2004 2:17:33 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

quote:

At size 5 the number of aircraft reaches 250. 250 aviation points is the most ever required becasue the airfields larger then size 5 (6,7,8,9,10) have machine/repair shops that increase the effectivness of the aviation support troops. (There appear to be something along those lines with engineer troops maxing out effect at 200.) having 1000 aviation support points also provides no more effect then having 250 other then making it hard for the enemy to reduce the number of support troops below where they are at max effect)

Is this in the manual?

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 69
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/17/2004 2:44:15 PM   
mogami

Hi, 1st Paragraph on page 193

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 70
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/17/2004 3:19:55 PM   
Chris21wen

Thanks, missed that one.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 71
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/17/2004 6:51:52 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Since my name is being thrown around here, i'll just throw in a simple (i.e. short commentary) Since UV days, i've felt a "diminishing returns" rule for ENG's was warrented as the logic works in the same way as with AA, i.e. simply piling more and more numbers should not simply create a stacking effect as it does not take into account other variables. Having played UV and now WitP extensively i've seen the "insta-base" effect enough times to recognize and know what i'm seeing.

I dont see the issue as having as much to do with turning a base from 0-9 (or 0-7) as it would turning a SPS 0 or 1 into a size 3 or 4 airbase in record time. I have not advocated any kind of "stacking limit" as this would be impossible to model in a game of this scale. Instead, meerly implement a system whereas the more ENG units you stack, it simply isn't a matter of adding up the #'s but produces less and less of the sum of it's total.
How to determine the threshold would be an issue. SPS size potential (which is supposed to be an abstracted form of geography) should be a major factor, along with nationality/time frame) Repair rates and types could benefit from such as well. small/med airfields are reletively easy to repair. Port facilities not so.

Anyway, i'm not going to stress too much about this because the above all speaks of a perfect world. The reality is that there are already a number of vital improvement issues on the board. While i'd like to see the above implemented it would admitedly be down the "list" of vital improvements were I given the ability to rank them. The developers can only do so much in the time alloted. Currently the above is not even a wish list item.

This doesn't mean that it cant be added but just serving as a reminder that the improvement wish list is already substantial.

And what do you think of my findings regarding construction speed even when just one single EAB is present?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 72
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/17/2004 6:53:16 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Hi, OK that makes sense as long as we do not lose track of facts like in real world Tinain went from 0 to 7 in 4 months.

I agree 100%.

We should aim for historical accuracy as much as possible...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 73
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/17/2004 7:58:33 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

And what do you think of my findings regarding construction speed even when just one single EAB is present?

Leo "Apollo11"

They didn't suprise me. Construction has always struck me as rather rapid, exaserbated by the stacking of many ENG units. Port construction in particular. Its nice to have detailed test though.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 74
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/18/2004 10:53:43 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

They didn't suprise me. Construction has always struck me as rather rapid, exaserbated by the stacking of many ENG units. Port construction in particular. Its nice to have detailed test though.

I sioncerely hope Matrix/2By3 will look into this someday...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 75
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/18/2004 12:48:28 PM   
Mike Scholl

If they ever actually fix the movement problem that allows a unit to advance 120 miles in a day through the
jungle, (60 miles across the hex it entered to be able to fight anywhere within it, plus another 60 miles of
"pursuit" movement) I'll worry about whether or not engineers build things too fast.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 76
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/18/2004 1:42:48 PM   
mogami

Hi, How do you get a unit to move and attack in 1 turn?

Even if a unit could move 60 miles it would have done so before you give orders to attack and that will spend another day before it executes. And then 30 miles is the farthest a unit can pursue but the retreating unit does move 60 miles in 1 day. (as far as I know the only units that can actually move 60 miles in 1 turn are those that are forced to retreat. )

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 77
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/18/2004 4:43:22 PM   
Mike Scholl

Sorry Mogami, I over simplified. It's actually 118 miles in a day. Unit gets ONE mile
into a hex as the enemy reaches 59 miles marched to leave it. When assult combat
is ordered for the NEXT turn, the attacker "teleports" 58 miles and fights..., and if it
is successfull it then "pursues" 60 miles into the next hex.

The major overall irritation is that the defending unit might very well have spent 25
days getting the 59 miles across that jungle trail hex, yet the attacker crosses it
almost instantaneously, catches him, and engages in combat. The whole system is
sadly in need of some repair.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 78
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/18/2004 6:25:21 PM   
mogami

Hi, A unit has to be in the same hex as enemy unit to attack. It has to have already moved 60 miles. Units do not move partially into a hex. A unit that is in a hex and showing miles traveled has moved that far inside the present hex towards the NEXT hex.
30 miles is the farthest a unit can pursue.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 79
RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... - 9/19/2004 12:50:48 AM   
juliet7bravo

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/VII/AAF-VII-10.html

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 80
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Comprehensive WitP ENG unit testing... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI