Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ANY Clue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> ANY Clue Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 2:03:22 AM   
freeboy

ok guys, any word from DR on the dd?
Post #: 1
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 2:08:51 AM   
TheHellPatrol

Just to clear up any confusion...I am now ready for my BIN DD, before dinner would be nice.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 2
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 2:54:11 AM   
freeboy

Sometimes I get frustrated, even as FRUGAL as I am and I mean VERY frugal when folks complain abou tthe price .. this game is like the rolls royce off hex, counter type games..

(in reply to TheHellPatrol)
Post #: 3
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 2:59:25 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Sometimes I get frustrated, even as FRUGAL as I am and I mean VERY frugal when folks complain abou tthe price .. this game is like the rolls royce off hex, counter type games..
No kidding, only difference is there is NO other competition, which makes it even more redundant.

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 4
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 3:04:29 AM   
freeboy

last few years have been lean, I like the hps stuff, but man they are big!!!
Ever Played the HPS Normandy 44 game?

now that would be a long pbem, 2 hour turns if I remember correctly, never tried pbem, but had fun kicking the ia's butt as the German, and like this Engine it allows for player mods, new scens etc...

Post #: 5
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 3:10:31 AM   
TheHellPatrol

I have every HPS game out there, although i haven't really played most of them...TOO big. I pretty much have every serious wargame ever made...it's my addiction.

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 6
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 3:40:27 AM   
freeboy

Did you not even load Normady 44?, It is interesting to see how differently the two systems use air power,

Post #: 7
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 3:57:08 AM   
TheHellPatrol

Oh no, i played ALL the smaller scenarios of every title and some of the big ones of Tobruk, BOB and MG. The only one i didn't get into at all ironically was Korsun Pocket...until SSG's version of course. Still too much of a meatgrinder for my tastes, i like room to maneuver. I used to read/re-read Heinz Guderian's Achtung-Panzer! before gaming...love those pincer moves. I started PC wargaming with Talonsoft products so HPS was second nature to me, believe it or not i had SSG's KP for over 6 months before i really figured it out. I kept thinking it was more complicated than it was and the interface threw me off, something a full fledged tutorial would have made easier as opposed to actually reading something on paper.

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 8
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 6:19:29 PM   
marc420

Normandy is one of the HPS games I've got. With BIN constantly dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging
and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging ...

I started a HPS game of Omaha Beach a couple of weekends ago. Even with that being only a 5th of the landings, and with the resolution set on fast, it still took a long time to play each turn. Made it through like two or three turns then quit and uninstalled.

Air Power: In HPS, you get specific air missions from units. So for instance you have a group of A-20's. You then pick which hex (or which unit depending on optional rules) to attack with that air mission. Then the air mission will disappear for some of the following 2 hour turns.

If BIN is like KP, air power is more abstract. You get a certain number of attacks per turn. These can't attack on their own, but they can add a column shift to your battles. You also get a certain number of interdiction markers. These make movement really slow and help cut supply on the roads through an area of the map.

What's missing in the DB games is aerial recon. I was watching a show on the history channel where they had access to the aerial recon photos taken by the allies during D-Day. Seems pretty much like if something was moving in the open in daylight, it got spotted by the Allied aerial recon. Of course the Germans could try to move at night and then hide everything during the day. But that alone had to really slow down movement.

Bridges were important to. The allies made a large effort to cut the road and rail lines to Normandy, both before the battle and during the battle. So, at least in KP, another thing that's missing is using airpower to blow bridges behind the enemy lines.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 9
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 7:04:21 PM   
thecker

The HPS games are much more realistic, then the decisive battle series, theres really no comparison. however they are fun 'games' to play. It seems they confused tactical warfare with operational warfare though.
I was actually hoping they would have some good simulation ability since the scale is virtually perfect for operational warfare, even their units are the right size for battle groups(although it would be a bit coarse, still good for making long campaigns).
oh well like I say, theyre fun.

(in reply to marc420)
Post #: 10
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 7:32:05 PM   
SlapBone

quote:

ORIGINAL: marc420

With BIN constantly dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging
and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging and dragging ...

Understatement of the year...what is the freaking holdup? Today is release day for at least 3 other major games (2 that I'm interested in). If Matrix wants my money they better have it out soon. I'm an impulse shopper, and they are providing me with less and less incentive.

< Message edited by SlapBone -- 9/15/2004 11:32:20 AM >

(in reply to marc420)
Post #: 11
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 8:24:02 PM   
marc420

What else is out today?

Actaully, I just bought a Football GM (Front Office Football 2004)sim I've been meaning to get for awhile. I may be so into that for the near future that BIN gets put off anyways. If I can stay entertained and not spend $60, that may be the way things end up working out.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 12
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 8:50:42 PM   
kverdon

Matrix???? Someone HAS to know when this is going to be available. I'm leaving on a long train trip on Friday and would love to take this with me on my laptop.

Kevin

(in reply to marc420)
Post #: 13
RE: ANY Clue - 9/15/2004 9:31:38 PM   
SlapBone

Sims 2 (no interest)
Madden 2005 PC (interested)
NHL 2005 (interseted)
Call of Duty United Offensive (interested)
Shellshock Vietnam (mild interest)

My initial recon verified that these games are at the game store. After work I will probably pick at least one up, thereby nullifying a BIN purchase.

< Message edited by SlapBone -- 9/15/2004 1:31:58 PM >

(in reply to marc420)
Post #: 14
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 12:35:49 AM   
2gaulle

quote:

NHL 2005 (interseted)

this one sound logical as it will be the only way to have hockey this year

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 15
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 12:47:59 AM   
SlapBone

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2gaulle

quote:

NHL 2005 (interested)

this one sound logical as it will be the only way to have hockey this year

Very true. Just another example of the overpriveleged thinking that the world owes them more. Kind of like game programmers.

Just kidding... get the game out!!

I was going to stop and get the COD expansion but my wife is making me buy Sims 2. The only computer in the house that will run it is mine.

(in reply to 2gaulle)
Post #: 16
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 12:52:19 AM   
freeboy

Go Bin !!!
Can it take so long to set up files for a download and then load a server?

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 17
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 1:13:52 AM   
Clipper1968

It is already Thursday!!! Hurry up!

"s'instruire pour vaincre"

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 18
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 1:53:45 AM   
TheHellPatrol

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

Go Bin !!!
Can it take so long to set up files for a download and then load a server?
It's DR...look how long it takes to get a CD...if...

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 19
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 2:02:01 AM   
freeboy

we don't really know where the bottleneck is do we?

Post #: 20
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 2:33:31 AM   
Erik Rutins

Gentlemen,

We've been working with DR this week. The hold-up is that we want to launch this title with "Game on Demand" so that you can order a full game box rather than just a backup CD if you like. Things have taken a bit longer than we were promised, but we are dealing with them each day and pressing things as much as we can. The goal is to release by the end of this week if at all possible. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 21
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 2:47:27 AM   
freeboy

Erik and all, this is the kind of stuff that I find so frustrating and irritating... that instead of cleaning up a cd or box on demand issue after initial orders, those wanting just a dd.. most of the folks I'd wager... have to wait....
It is the same thing as happened at that whole MAtrix goes to Origins with witp in hand.. we had no idea it wouldn't be a dd in a few hours after returning.. in soime cases the dd was weeks after origins....

PLEASE in the future give us an idea of whats going on.. like your comment above....
and my comments not to indicate in any way the game or dd is not a good chioce, but really scratching my head on the chioices you folks make at my time expense...

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 22
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 2:48:56 AM   
Clipper1968

Thank you for the update as I would like to try this "game on demand" option.
Could you please tell me if the CD included in the box will labelled?
Have you an idea about the price applied for this option?
If I choose the "game on demand" will the box be posted from the US or the UK? when I purchased WitP the Backup CD has been shipped from the US whereas I have ordered through the Europe store?
Thanks in advance.

"s'instruire pour vaincre"

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 23
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 3:25:15 AM   
ioticus

What's the point of a game box? Someone please clue me in.

(in reply to Clipper1968)
Post #: 24
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 3:36:31 AM   
TheHellPatrol

If i'm not mistaken the "game on demand" will be handled/shipped via DR.... I'll just stick to the dd myself, as much as i appreciated the eventual help from Erik and David i'm not looking forward to a "where's my CD part 3". It is ironic that after coming to this conclusion there is going to be a change, but even the top runningbacks get benched when they have too many fumbles.

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to ioticus)
Post #: 25
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 5:22:38 AM   
freeboy

I could take a slow train to Staten Island, Visit the luxury offices I know MAtrix enjoys and copy a cd in the time dr takes to ####### content edited

Post #: 26
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 5:42:41 AM   
TheHellPatrol

I can picture it perfectly, Matrix staff sends gold master to DR and they reply: "This is an automated response to your request, please do not reply. Take a number and have a seat...if you haven't received you finished product we'll send you out another one, if you haven't gotten it in 14 business days we'll send you out another one. Sincerely, Chip Silla Cohen"

Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 27
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 11:55:48 AM   
mendipbus

I am hoping DD will be ready for 6pm GMT friday.

Would make my weekend.

Thanks

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 28
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 3:39:57 PM   
trcanberra

All I can say is, bugger the box and put it up for download now. You can worry about the boxes over the week-end while we are all happily playing

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 29
RE: ANY Clue - 9/16/2004 3:54:17 PM   
SlapBone

Hey Matrix... there sure is a lot of "retail" in your no-retail plan. So the download is ready, but you guys are waiting for your digital download boxes to be ready? Maybe you guys ought to lay off the herb and start planning stuff like this.

(in reply to trcanberra)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Battles in Normandy >> ANY Clue Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI