Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What was your first wargame?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: What was your first wargame? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 12:40:35 AM   
RoyalOak

First wargame was Jena 1807, an old International Team. I've bought it when I was 11.
Then Hell's Highway (VG) : I've learned english to play this one . Quickly followed by some monster games : The longest Day (have played this one 2 months non-stop, from dawn to night with two friends during holidays), Wif (remember playing it 27 hours in a row, from sept/oct 39 to the invasion of Russia), the Europa serie.
Computer games : Knights of the Desert (C64)

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 61
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 1:02:05 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

While I played a few board games as a kid back in the 1970's, I abandoned the whole wargaming thing for a while, no time as US Air Force Academy Cadet for that kind of thing. Finally broke down an bought a home computer in 1985. An Apple IIc with a color monitor. Friend in the squadron told me about North Atlantic '86, so I bought a copy and got hooked immediately. Bought almost every SSI title I could afford between 1985 and 1988 or so. AF helped me into programming, helped on some SIOP simulations and Red Flag stuff and then began actually writing some of my own simple games about then for the home computer about that time....

Never really liked the next generation of war games after GG's last DOS titles in the early 1990's, all the Steel Panther, Panzer General stuff, so left the genre for RTS, FPS and sports games for quite a while. Came back to it when I found out about Matrix about four or five years ago or so, but even then nothing really took my fancy until UV came out. Funny thing is, I use an Apple IIc emulator and still play a number of my old Apple IIc titles on that.....

(in reply to RoyalOak)
Post #: 62
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 1:10:21 AM   
Arsaces

I used to think I was the oldest guy (don't seem to be any females...) lurking in the Matrix Forums, so this thread has been a real eye opener for me.... I think we have some reason to be worried about the future of wargaming. Where are the youngsters ? Not here apparently.

My first wargame was SPI's 'Barbarossa', back in the seventies (1974 ?) during my beardless youth. I've owned dozens of boardgames, but took a while before getting interested in computer wargames. Computers were for work not for play. My first computer game was IMagic's 'Great Battles of Alexander' back in 1998. First played a Gary Grigsby game in 1999 ('Pacific War').

(in reply to RoyalOak)
Post #: 63
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 1:30:35 AM   
Belphegor

Gettysburg, the '64 (?) edition from AH

My father's not mine. Until I played it.

(in reply to Arsaces)
Post #: 64
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 1:45:00 AM   
jimkehn

Boardgame: Squad Leader
Computer Game:Grigsby's game on Barbarossa 1941 for the Atari 400/800 computer. Sheesh. The name escapes me right now.

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 65
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 1:56:12 AM   
BartM

quote:

Well I guess toy soldiers, Risk, and Stratego don't really count:) considering I had been playing with the former since I was knee high to a grasshopper. As for a real bonafied board wargame, I reckon the first I tried was a WWI type. I think it was called Guns of August or 1914 or something like that. It was back in the mid sixties. It was a bit more than I could handle at the time, shooting real guns was a bit more entertaining then..hehe.

I still have a closet full of the things..like Panzer Blitz, Squad Leader, Pacific War, Empire at Arms, Flattop, Fire in the East, 3rd Reich..oh and of course Star Fleet battles (trekkie). I don't want to even think about all the great boardgames I have lost or gave away and as for computer wargames..there's a couple hundred of them too and that collection is still growing thanks to Matrix.

Sabre

Same here and yes, (looking at the box) guns of August

Tactics was my first board game, and what started the collection of every possible bookshelf game I could get my hands on.

First computer game was Telengard which took 20 minutes to load on the tape drive to play.

can't remember my first SSI game, though bought almost all over them, along with Microprose and SSG and many many others... whew... going to look for my gerital now

(in reply to tanker4145)
Post #: 66
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 2:05:09 AM   
Dunhill_BKK

One of the first grognard-type boardgames was Gettysburg which I can't find anymore. I'm not sure which year, possibly the earlier version, with unit types in shapes of formations, salients, lines, flanks, counters for breastworks. Can anyone tell me what this version was, the game itself has been lost, and it was such a good set of advanced rules, and very well done board and counters.

I was one of the few people that purchased The Campaign for North Africa. It was a boardgame on the level of WITP, and therefore unplayable in paper form, by any less than 10 people. It was a monster, and really should have been sent to War College as an advanced course in logistics. They had rules for evaporation in it,as well as the Italian preference for pasta in a desert campaign. This game probably requires a new category above "Grognard" for anyone who actually played it.

(in reply to jimkehn)
Post #: 67
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 2:17:11 AM   
Williamb

Does Battleship count ?

In that veiw guess that Chess would also count. And always Risk and Stratego

Also played that old figured base wargame by Milton bradley about the Guns of Navarone.

First board game would be Tactics II.

Then LuftWaffe

The First Computer game (old ) would be the one where you interecpt incoming missiles ? The name escapes me right now.

My First real computer wargame was the wargame designer kit.

More when I can remeber them

(in reply to Dunhill_BKK)
Post #: 68
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 2:37:15 AM   
Cav Trooper

Can't remember the other ones I played before I bought my first one.

First one Bought:
Luftwaffe

Then:
France 1940
Third Reich
Squad Leader (then expansions)
Foxbat and Phantom
SPI's Korean War to Modern (mid 70's to 78 or so) Jet combat game. Can't remember the name.
Panzer Leader
Torbrok(sp).

Played Terrible Swift Sword (Napoleon Artillery Pieces (artillery batteries in general) tore up my troops really bad)
War in East
A couple of Napoleonic games..

Then 15mm minatures in the 80's and 90's..Modern Land combat and napoleonic...

Brother Had Starship Troopers and War in the middle earth game (Damn orc armies)...

And Battle Tech Minatures with Army buddies....

3rd ACR Tanker
3/4 US Cav Trooper
Brave Rifles

"Professional soldiers are predictable; the world is full of dangerous amateurs."

(in reply to Williamb)
Post #: 69
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 2:40:01 AM   
Belphegor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dunhill_BKK

One of the first grognard-type boardgames was Gettysburg which I can't find anymore. I'm not sure which year, possibly the earlier version, with unit types in shapes of formations, salients, lines, flanks, counters for breastworks. Can anyone tell me what this version was, the game itself has been lost, and it was such a good set of advanced rules, and very well done board and counters.

That was Gettysburg '77. A great game.

(in reply to Dunhill_BKK)
Post #: 70
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 2:45:02 AM   
Williamb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Belphegor

That was Gettysburg '77. A great game.

Yeah I had that one was very good.

(in reply to Belphegor)
Post #: 71
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 3:05:15 AM   
tigercub

quote:

Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader
l

long time ago now think it was Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader as well 70"/73

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to tanker4145)
Post #: 72
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 4:09:55 AM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

AH's "GETTYSBURG" in 1959-60. Played it until the counters were literally worn out.

Me too. Followed by Tactics II.
We cut out lots of extra counters for Gettysburg. Had the whole board covered with them. Couldn't even really play the game then.

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 73
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 4:54:52 AM   
2ndACR

C64 games were the first wargames at all I ever messed with.

All time favorite was SSI's Gettysburg.

Battles of Napoleon

Also loved a game by SSI about modern warfare, but can not remember the title.

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 74
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 5:03:41 AM   
bstarr

my first was Fortress Europa, Avalon Hill

< Message edited by bstarr -- 9/17/2004 3:04:31 AM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 75
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 7:22:37 AM   
thegreatwent

Avalon Hill's Fuedal was the first "wargame" followed by Gettysburg '64, and finally after a paper route Gettysburg '77. My first Computer game was SSI's War in Russia, I got a used copy without a rule book. Took me awhile to figure out.

(in reply to bstarr)
Post #: 76
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 8:10:34 AM   
Raverdave

Well my first was also Panzer Leader, followed by Luftwaffe and then Squad Leader

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to tanker4145)
Post #: 77
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 3:27:19 PM   
Ron Saueracker

AHs Bismarck was my first real board game. GGs Guadalcanal Campaign was the PC addiction.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 78
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 3:35:07 PM   
Caranorn

Reading all these posts I start to feel young again. Some of you really seem to have been with wargaling from the start according to your first games. Seing some of the pictures posted I decided to take two quick ones of my collection (not showing everything, just two shelves).

One shelf is essentially WWII stuff (a few ACW and napoleonics in there too), the other modern war and large AH boxes. But as is clearly visible I'm not very orderly and a few odd boxes have slipped in there too.

Marc aka Caran...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 79
Games I would remake - 9/17/2004 3:40:53 PM   
mogami

Hi, There are many games that if they were remade for current PC would be best sellers in my opinion.

Colonial Conquest SSI. Was never made for PC. A new version that allowed for online multiplayers would be very popular.

Battles of Napolean. SSI update would only require a new graphis and a Campaign that tracked unit status from one battle to the next. Large strategic map for movement between battles.

Warship and it's WWI companion game. Just needs graphics upgrade. And campaign with large maps.

(Come to think of it most SSI titles that were brought up to date would sell at least as many copies as they sold the first go around)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 80
RE: Games I would remake - 9/17/2004 4:16:51 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Warship and it's WWI companion game. Just needs graphics upgrade. And campaign with large maps.

I keep hoping...........

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 81
RE: Games I would remake - 9/17/2004 4:23:12 PM   
SpitfireIX

When I was in about 4th grade I noticed ads for AH and SPI games in my dad's military-history magazines. I wanted to get some, but I didn't have a lot of discretionary income. Then a kid about my age moved in across the street, and he had some. I think the first one we ever played was Third Reich. He also had Battle of the Bulge, Dipomacy, and Squad Leader, but he told me that SL was too complex for him. His favorite game was Richthofen's War--we played that one a lot. I think the first one I ever actually owned was Battle of the Bulge--either that or Third Reich. I remember thinking even at the time that there should have been more rules and details to make the games more realistic--can you say "future grognard?" We moved to another part of town right before I started sixth grade, and I didn't get to see Mike that often anymore, so I was reduced to playing with my younger brothers, who weren't much competition. :-( Eventually, I met some other wargamers, and also got into SPI games--on the whole, I liked them a lot better than AH's.

"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 82
RE: Games I would remake - 9/17/2004 4:23:21 PM   
Jaws_slith

Axis and Allies, Team Yankee (board game)

Kampfkruppe (SSI) Amiga

Good Hunting

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 83
RE: Games I would remake - 9/17/2004 4:29:27 PM   
Feinder

You go Caranorn!

quote:

"I used to think I was the oldest guy (don't seem to be any females...) lurking in the Matrix Forums, so this thread has been a real eye opener for me.... I think we have some reason to be worried about the future of wargaming. Where are the youngsters ? Not here apparently. "

Hrumph. My son is just 4 weeks old (today), and is already learning the WitP interface.

I'm certainly going to make sure he learns that true sports are OUTSIDE (it's where my brothers and I had to play when we were growing up!). But all the same, if in a few years he wants to challenge is dad to a game of Squad Leader, I might be up for it...

That is of course, dependent upon his Mom letting us take up the dining room table for the weekend...

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 84
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 4:40:29 PM   
Kitakami

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caranorn

Reading all these posts I start to feel young again. Some of you really seem to have been with wargaling from the start according to your first games. Seing some of the pictures posted I decided to take two quick ones of my collection (not showing everything, just two shelves).

Marc,

Your photos made me feel right at home :)

My first game was Panzer Leader, which I bought for my 14th birthday. Since then, I must have bought over 100 wargames, of which I still keep over 60 (I have sold some, and lost some moving from house to house).
As for computer games, Gary Grisby's game on Guadalcanal, played on an Apple IIc.
How do I miss getting together with the guys to play whatever wargame we decided on.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 85
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 4:44:51 PM   
SaintEx

Avalon Hill's Luftwaffe, back in maybe 1974. Hundreds followed.

(in reply to tanker4145)
Post #: 86
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 5:08:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

AH's Afrika Korps. A really fun and simple game.

I wanted a good carrier game with secret searches so much I built one myself by making a box out of 1/4 plywood and driving in a 20 x30 matrix of upholstery tacs over a map of Midway. The non-phasing player denoted the postion of his TF's by clipping alligator clips on the tacs inside the box. Then the searching player used a probe on the front of the map to search the matrix elements he was permitted to search (withouth the other player looking of course). When he touched a tac with an alligator clip attached, the circuit was completed and a flashlight bulb illuminated. The discovered TF composition had to be disclosed up to a certain percentage. I do realize it sounds a bit geeky.

I could never get the "AI" to put on the alligator clips though

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/17/2004 3:09:51 PM >

(in reply to tanker4145)
Post #: 87
RE: What was your first wargame? - 9/17/2004 5:34:09 PM   
viking42

I believe it was carrier force, on the atari 1024, also a wargame in the 42' desert in which you could play map level but also drive the tanks.
But i got really addicted with panzer general and antietam PC

Anyone remember Napoleon 1813? not that old but very nice

< Message edited by viking42 -- 9/17/2004 3:38:57 PM >

(in reply to tanker4145)
Post #: 88
RE: Games I would remake - 9/17/2004 8:06:24 PM   
2ndACR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, There are many games that if they were remade for current PC would be best sellers in my opinion.

Colonial Conquest SSI. Was never made for PC. A new version that allowed for online multiplayers would be very popular.

Battles of Napolean. SSI update would only require a new graphis and a Campaign that tracked unit status from one battle to the next. Large strategic map for movement between battles.

(Come to think of it most SSI titles that were brought up to date would sell at least as many copies as they sold the first go around)

I could not agree more. SSI had some of the best games ever.

For a re-made BON I would gladly plunk down 60.00 for it. I spent countless hours playing that game. I would not even ask for alot of eye candy either. I have no problem with the units being "blocks" and such.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 89
RE: Games I would remake - 9/17/2004 8:09:37 PM   
mdiehl

First wargame: Stratego.
First sim type wargame: AH's SST (the old version).
First sim historical wargame: Pea Ridge.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: What was your first wargame? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI